Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the "A" in the vent icon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
On the center display, it shows a closed arrow circle icon when it is set to "recycle" and an open arrow circle when it is set to "fresh" air. Sometimes I see the open arrow circle (i.e. "fresh air") with an A inside it. I feel like I should know this, but I don't. What does that signify?

I've noticed the car is not very good at figuring out recirculate or fresh air. Driving on city roads we have to manually select recirculate to prevent the exhaust from ICE from coming in the car. For some reason it seems to work worse in the S than other cars.

True.

I don't think it has the capability of making environmental air quality decisions like my BMW can.

I believe it only does it for temperature control.

My wife has complained about the same issue.

True.

I don't think it has the capability of making environmental air quality decisions like my BMW can.

I believe it only does it for temperature control.

My wife has complained about the same issue.

Yip. I asked in the test drive - the Model S doesn't have an air quality detector. Not that the feature really works that great on a BMW either (at least not on my dad's 535).