TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is the "A" in the vent icon?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MikeC, Jun 5, 2013.

1. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

On the center display, it shows a closed arrow circle icon when it is set to "recycle" and an open arrow circle when it is set to "fresh" air. Sometimes I see the open arrow circle (i.e. "fresh air") with an A inside it. I feel like I should know this, but I don't. What does that signify?

2. vcor

vcor Member

I'd guess "Auto" when the option is set to automatic selection.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Automatic.

The car will select automatically whether to recirculate or introduce fresh air to achieve desired temperature.

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Thanks. Just went and tested it out, very obvious - I probably should have figured that out a while ago!

5. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

I've noticed the car is not very good at figuring out recirculate or fresh air. Driving on city roads we have to manually select recirculate to prevent the exhaust from ICE from coming in the car. For some reason it seems to work worse in the S than other cars.

6. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

True.

I don't think it has the capability of making environmental air quality decisions like my BMW can.

I believe it only does it for temperature control.

My wife has complained about the same issue.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Yip. I asked in the test drive - the Model S doesn't have an air quality detector. Not that the feature really works that great on a BMW either (at least not on my dad's 535).