Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a bit more complicated than that. First step is your available source of power and if it can provide 240 volts and at what amperage. Start there.

Assume the existing 110V circuit needs to upgrade. I need about 100ft cable run from the breaker, through a backyard, to a detached garage to put in a new 240V line. EVIP website says that to qualify for a rebate I would need an approved charger. A dryer plug would charge a Tesla, but I don't think that would qualify for EVIP.

Cheapest is the tesla with 24' cord ($633). It can go max to 72 amp. but you can also set to 48 amp as that is the max model 3 can take.
Also it comes with model 3 socket, so no adapter needed plus a button to open the hatch.
All other chargers available max out @ 40 amps and 18' cord. you also need an extra adapter everytime you plug it.

Assume the existing 110V circuit needs to upgrade. I need about 100ft cable run from the breaker, through a backyard, to a detached garage to put in a new 240V line. EVIP website says that to qualify for a rebate I would need an approved charger. A dryer plug would charge a Tesla, but I don't think that would qualify for EVIP.

The only way you can claim electrical work associated for up to 50% of the cost to a max of $500 rebate is to also buy an approved charger. The electrical work also has to be done by an electrician and have an ESA inspection to be able to claim the cost. You can’t do the electrical yourself and claim that.
So 50% of electrical/ESA cert cost to a max of $500 +
50% of approved charger cost to a max of $500.

Do you have a 100 or 200 amp service?
Do you have an electric stove, dryer, hot water tank and AC?
Room for a 240 (double) breaker in the existing panel?

My breaker box has a "MAIN" input with 2 breakers labelled "100" so I assume it is 200A. And there is an empty double breaker slot.

Yes, there is electric stove, dryer, hot water tank, and AC.

My breaker box has a "MAIN" input with 2 breakers labelled "100" so I assume it is 200A. And there is an empty double breaker slot.

Yes, there is electric stove, dryer, hot water tank, and AC.

That could still be 100 amp service. Are the 2 breakers labeled differently? Does one of them read ‘Common’?

These are all 100 amp breakers:

DCC7973A-DE74-43CC-AD5A-9496EA9223A8.jpeg 337D6731-1B43-4554-8BB6-6F9F52638E8A.jpeg 8289E161-E4BB-4B86-ABBD-34FAFD34CF38.jpeg

These are 200 amp breakers:

7E335E0F-DEFA-437E-A4E2-73A42DF9EF26.jpeg 08357DAB-669E-40E8-B64C-FE1CF4F5DF15.jpeg B0F75818-AB16-4B38-972E-89B2F074D6C3.jpeg

Last edited:
The only way you can claim electrical work associated for up to 50% of the cost to a max of $500 rebate is to also buy an approved charger. The electrical work also has to be done by an electrician and have an ESA inspection to be able to claim the cost. You can’t do the electrical yourself and claim that.
So 50% of electrical/ESA cert cost to a max of $500 +
50% of approved charger cost to a max of $500.

You can DIY and still claim rebate on the chargers without any inspection. I done that twice without any issues. You can only claim 50% for the charger part, which is max upto $500. You can not claim for installation or other hardware.

Reactions: 03DSG
For EV charger rebate, you need a certification after installation. I did that when I purchased my leaf. You need 200Amp service, otherwise you will not get certified. So as above, you need 1st verify if you have 100 Amp or 200 Amp service. I spend 2500$ to upgrade my service at that time.

You then need to pick up a charge station which could supply 40amp to be used by Model 3. I don't think that you can find a non Tesla Charger with J1772 which can supply 48amp which Model 3 is capable .

I got the one that looks like the middle one from your 100A pictures. Sad.

Yes, that will limit your panels breaker size and therefore your max charger amps. Would be ok if you had gas stove, dryer and hw heater. I upgraded my service/panel from 100 amps to 200 amps and ran 25 meters of Teck 6/3 from the basement to the front of the garage.
If your going to upgrade shop around. I already had 200 amps buried to the meter (11 year old house). The estimates to bring it inside including permits and ESA inspection varied greatly. I went with a large local firm that priced based on the whole job including returning when the car arrives and installing the WC with another ESA certificate.

Last edited:
For EV charger rebate, you need a certification after installation. I did that when I purchased my leaf. You need 200Amp service, otherwise you will not get certified. So as above, you need 1st verify if you have 100 Amp or 200 Amp service. I spend 2500$ to upgrade my service at that time.

You then need to pick up a charge station which could supply 40amp to be used by Model 3. I don't think that you can find a non Tesla Charger with J1772 which can supply 48amp which Model 3 is capable .

Did your $2500 include the cable run and charger install as well?

Yes, that will limit your panels breaker size and therefore your max charger amps. Would be ok if you had gas stove, dryer and hw heater. I upgraded my service/panel from 100 amps to 200 amps and ran 25 meters of Teck 6/3 from the basement to the front of the garage.
If your going to upgrade shop around. I already had 200 amps buried to the meter (11 year old house). The estimates to bring it inside including permits and ESA inspection varied greatly. I went with a large local firm that priced based on the whole job including returning when the car arrives and installing the WC with another ESA certificate.

I can't find the 200A requirement for EVIP rebate. Has anyone gotten the rebate with only 100A panel?

If I have to do a costly 200A upgrade and I might just forgo the rebate and just put in the cheapest 110V line I can. My commute is only 30km (return). So I can probably charge up in 4 hrs. For the odd occasion I need it, the Markville supercharger is 10 mins away (similar to my closest gas station).

I can't find the 200A requirement for EVIP rebate. Has anyone gotten the rebate with only 100A panel?

If I have to do a costly 200A upgrade and I might just forgo the rebate and just put in the cheapest 110V line I can. My commute is only 30km (return). So I can probably charge up in 4 hrs. For the odd occasion I need it, the Markville supercharger is 10 mins away (similar to my closest gas station).

There is no 200 amp requirement for the rebate. That info was incorrect.

You might be able to put a double throw, double pole disconnect on you stove circuit. It allows you to throw a lever to select power to either your stove OR your charger. Just NOT both at the same time. Would work great overnight when stove power not required. Your stove probably has a 40 amp breaker. This would give you 32 amps available to charge. You could at that rate with the included UMC.

When you say you won’t get certified without 200 Amp service, is this for a certain municipality? Why wouldn’t they certify 100 Amp if your load allows it? Most charge overnight when little else is being used.

You don't need 200amp service for the rebate.
An electrician will do a load calculation to see if your panel can take the charger install.
There are code guidelines that have to be followed with electrical. Your panel has to be able to take the extra load. The load calculation will determine that.

Even if you say, "I will only use it at so and so time" doesn't mean you will pass inspection.
Electrical inspections can be strict.

We upgraded to 200amp panel, it was about $1500. Our house is newly built we should have upgraded through the builder but didn't think we would need it, then we decided on electric car.

Technically we don't need the max charge but why not. If your installing tesla hpwc might as well go all the way

Reactions: 03DSG
When you say you won’t get certified without 200 Amp service, is this for a certain municipality? Why wouldn’t they certify 100 Amp if your load allows it? Most charge overnight when little else is being used.

The 200Amp is not EVIP requirements, and I never said that. I said that you need 200Amp service for getting the certificate based on normal electricity usage situation here in Canada. You can say that I don’t have a dryer, I uses gas cooking and I don’t have air con. In that case you could be certified with 100Amp. If you have two of above, you need 200Amp to be certified.

Reactions: HugoBoss
The 200Amp is not EVIP requirements, and I never said that. I said that you need 200Amp service for getting the certificate based on normal electricity usage situation here in Canada. You can say that I don’t have a dryer, I uses gas cooking and I don’t have air con. In that case you could be certified with 100Amp. If you have two of above, you need 200Amp to be certified.

Fcxk that’s going to be expensive supporting a mid level car. Very sad.