Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the cost of replacing a cracked touchscreen model 3 (2020)

Csamika

Oct 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a cracked touchscreen for a 2020 Model 3?
tiny chip on the bottom center of screen and hairline crack about 2 inches. Everything operates well, but since it’s a core part of the vehicle I feel like I should get it fixed.
Thanks.

Apr 12, 2019
Austin
Did you get a response? They quoted me over $1,500 to fix a crack in the screen glass. The display itself, and everything but the glass appears to be fine, but I was told that they don't have replacement glass (like you'd do for something like a cracked cell phone screen), but would have to replace the whole display unit.

I'm curious whether the tech is correct (he admitted to not having dealt much with cracked screens), or if someone has had a different experience?

dmurphy

Buster: 11/25/14 - 6/20/21. So sorely missed.
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
Sorry to hear about this! It's a little too late to save your screen, but for everyone else's sake.... this is why I think the glass screen protectors are cheap insurance. Not strictly "necessary" but, for $20 or so, it gives me a second chance if something untoward were to happen. Obviously not perfect, but always one of my first responses to the various "I just ordered a Model 3, I'm so super excited, what other stuff should I be buying right now while I wait?!?" posts.

Apr 12, 2019
Austin
So, $1,506.89 is what it ended up costing me for what is effectively a laptop touchscreen. A whopping $59 of that was labor. Given the cost of a brand new laptop with cheap computing specs but a nice 15" 1080p touchscreen, the cost to Tesla to acquire that display is probably, what, maybe $50~$100? Probably less if they make it themselves? No wonder elon is always bordering on being the richest person in the world:rolleyes:.

In case I haven't given it away, this experience has really soured my view of Tesla.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So, $1,506.89 is what it ended up costing me for what is effectively a laptop touchscreen. A whopping $59 of that was labor. Given the cost of a brand new laptop with cheap computing specs but a nice 15" 1080p touchscreen, the cost to Tesla to acquire that display is probably, what, maybe $50~$100? Probably less if they make it themselves? No wonder elon is always bordering on being the richest person in the world:rolleyes:.

In case I haven't given it away, this experience has really soured my view of Tesla.

Not sure how you make the equivalent a "laptop touch screen" when its much more responsive than any regular laptop touch screen. Its more like the a 15 inch iPad pro or surface pro tablet. How much is an ipad pro or a surface tablet with close to a screen that size? its not $50 to $100. A 12.9 inch ipad pro "starts at $1099"

Reactions: Jejunjm

bpobill

Feb 2, 2018
USA
Not sure how you make the equivalent a "laptop touch screen" when its much more responsive than any regular laptop touch screen. Its more like the a 15 inch iPad pro or surface pro tablet. How much is an ipad pro or a surface tablet with close to a screen that size? its not $50 to $100. A 12.9 inch ipad pro "starts at $1099"

iPad Pro is a stretch, but he is being whiney about it. I would have bought one from eBay and swapped it myself.

dmurphy

Buster: 11/25/14 - 6/20/21. So sorely missed.
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County

Also bear in mind; the display is automotive-grade. That means it’s got an effective temperature, humidity and shock range far beyond your typical consumer laptop. It’s also much brighter and in a custom package.

Tesla generally doesn’t gouge for parts; if it was almost $1500 for the part, I guarantee you they’re not making oodles of money on it.

Gauss Guzzler

Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
I'm curious to know how the screen could possibly get broken? Carpool Caraoke with Justin Bieber?

018-700x700.jpg

leonar40

Jan 6, 2021
Bloomington, IN
Yes, as soon as my Model 3 goes out of warranty (which is soon) I'm going to become an expert at fixing things myself with used or aftermarket parts. At least as much as I can. Thankfully the shop manual is available online, so that should be a huge help!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC