Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the re-sale value of plaids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depreciation has never been an issue for me because the value of my vehicle to me is never a function of the value of my vehicle to anyone else.

Case in point, in the early 1980s I was driving a $350 AMC Hornet Station Wagon… it was the most car I could afford. I kept it clean, maintained it very well, and treated it as if it was the best car in the entire world… because it was (to me). I never cared about the value that anyone else assigned to this car. It was special to me from the day I bought it until the day I sold it.

I have come a long way from my used Hornet driving days… but one thing has never changed; I buy and value my cars for me and no one else. Cars are more than just things to me… and my 2023 Model S Plaid gives me more smiles per mile than any car I have ever owned.

Those of you who are gearheads will absolutely understand… and those of you who think of your Model S Plaid as an iPhone with wheels, probably never will… and that’s okay; go hop in your MSP, turn on your favorite music, and press the accelerator. Try not to smile, and see if, in that moment, you care about how anyone else values your car.

Enjoy these moments because life is short. With any luck, when the time comes to shake off these mortal coils, you will remember what it felt like to drive the fastest production car ever made, and not how much you lost because you bought or sold a car at the wrong time.

Joe
Agreed! Even though I grumble about all the annoying issues, it is just stupid fun to drive!

Though, I wish they would have waited a bit longer before dropping the price by $25k, but whatever. It's actually gone up a little bit, so it's only $16k less than what I paid in '21, so that doesn't hurt quite as much. Also, I have a ridiculous 1.24% loan that no one is getting now, so that helps.

Anyway, the $20k track pack is actually looking pretty good. Brake rotors, calipers, pads, fluid, wheels and tires, including installation for $20k doesn't seem terrible. Now, if I could actually find enough time to get to the track to make use of it...

Reactions: Propofoln
Yeah, the value of my 2022 model dropped the same amount as your mentioned P100D in less than a year, I get price cuts, so let's adjust for 150k after taxes, that is still a massive drop for any car.
Agree, I purchased my 2022 MX-P new the last week of December. Within literally a few days, the value of my vehicle dropped over $30k. I feel your pain...

Reactions: Sambub and jebinc
Agree, I purchased my 2022 MX-P new the last week of December. Within literally a few days, the value of my vehicle dropped over $30k. I feel your pain...
Yes it’s an unsettling feeling. But I agreed to the price I signed for. Just like when I purchased my model S 90D for 105k without any autopilot, TACC , etc and the 100d came out for the same price on when mine was delivered. And now I could buy a plaid for quite a bit less than my 90d. That’s pretty great to me. I keep my cars for years and well over 100k miles so resale means little. If resale loss did matter, I’d buy used or lease. I wouldn’t be looking to sell my new car a few days after purchase.

I certainly would prefer to get a better deal next time. Also means less tax and maybe insurance. Otherwise it would be like being disappointed that cell phones no longer cost 12k (counting inflation) like the first ones did.