Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the reason Teslsa replace the steering wheel with a yolk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my S for two months now and I love the Yoke. It took a couple of weeks to get my muscle memory to work well but now it's great. It's true that multi point turns are more of a hassle but the remaining 99.9% of driving is nicer with the yoke in my opinion. Now I get into my wife's car and wonder why the steering + stalks is so complicated.
completely agree! much ado about nothing. Folks don't like change and I was in the same camp until I started to use it. I wouldn't go back now given the option.

After driven the car for 140 miles, the button controlled turn signals and the horn can really be a hazard. When the traffic on my lane slows down and i what to move to the next lane, my old instinct was to check the rear mirror, flip the turn signal and move. Now, I check the mirror and know a car coming on the view but I have enough time. I have to change my eye sight to look for the signal button. I lost a couple seconds. The meant a delayed action. Same as the horn. When I need to alert someone such a person stepping into my path, I have to look for the horn button instead of hitting the middle of the steering wheel.
The turn signals are easy. There is a raised line between them. Use the thumb's touch sensitivity to locate them without looking. You can practice and learn the controls in an empty parking lot.

Picking up my MS in this weekend and i'm going into the whole yoke thing with no expectations other than there'll be a learning curve. I can see it being "better" but i can also see why so many people hate it. We'll see where I fall in a few days 😂

Picking up my MS in this weekend and i'm going into the whole yoke thing with no expectations other than there'll be a learning curve. I can see it being "better" but i can also see why so many people hate it. We'll see where I fall in a few days 😂
Congrats. I had mine for 2 weeks ans so far I had a couple "mistakes" made on the yoke. I pressed the left turn signal while I wanted to turn right. When I was making a wide turn I pressed the horn button by mistake. I don't think I will end up hating the yoke after I got used to it. I just think this change is gimmicky that does nothing to enhance safety.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk indicated that the company made the change because, “Yet another round wheel is boring and blocks the screen,” adding that Tesla's “Full Self-Driving” function -controversial due to safety concerns-“in panoramic mode looks way better with a yoke.”
Blocking the screen? Model 3 and Y doesn't even have a console screen. They also have the same FSD functions. What about their view in panoramic mode?

Just got my 2022 MS with a steering yolk. After using it for a bit, it feels awkward with I am making a tight turn or U-turn. I am sure I will get used to it. I don't see this new yolk will improve safety for driving. If not, why have a yolk instead of a flat bottom wheel?
I don't see any advantage other than looking cool. I am sure I can get used to it though. I was picking up some stuff from rpmtesla the other day and checking out their D steering wheel in a MS. Looks pretty oemish, think I will get one of those once they figured out the heated part. Call me old school but I feel safer with sth normal.

I don't see any advantage other than looking cool. I am sure I can get used to it though. I was picking up some stuff from rpmtesla the other day and checking out their D steering wheel in a MS. Looks pretty oemish, think I will get one of those once they figured out the heated part. Call me old school but I feel safer with sth normal.
I reported this morning two mishaps at my last post when using the wrong buttons on the yoke. After that, I was driving through a green light and a none paying attention driver pull into my lane by doing a right turn on red. My first instinct was to press the horn. Instead I hit wiper button. Luckily the other drive finally turned and looked. He stopped half way on my lane. A horn might alert the other driver of an issue. I must say most people blow the horn first if they see a person, a car is getting into their path instead of slowing down or stop. I am one of them.

• Funny
Reactions: jackk