Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, lot's of updates lately!! Obviously a lot of Americans & Canadians in here, but are there by any chance also other Dutch owners in the thread? Perhaps we could join forces and at least ensure the Dutch SC's are aware of multiple cases in The Netherlands. The problem I'm encountering is that the "expert" that's rejecting the issue does acknowledges it, but he doesn't deem it necessary to replace due to the fact that it's not very common (and he's not familiar with the issue). On the recording they've made they cannot capture the sound, so that also doesn't help (even though the sound is pretty prevalent while driving).
Anyway... Anyone close-by, please let me know!
I have the same issue with a MYP made in Berlin, took delivery in June. Escalated the issue multiple times but still no solution. SC Amsterdam.

Would any of you that have had a front drive unit replacement recently (like @RafidTM3) be kind enough to post their (redacted) PDF invoices? @Benito1283 has already done it, thank you very much. I am hoping that if I come to my SC with enough service cases where it‘s had to happen, it could help tilt the balance.
I pulled up Benito’s and the service guy didn’t bother to look at it saying “well what works as a fix for one car doesn’t necessarily work for another car.” While there’s truth in that, I think the circumstances are pretty clear that this is the same issue. Hopefully if we are armed with multiple invoices that would help make the case. Good call

Hi,
Here is an update from the follow up visit.
Concern: Rattle present after recent service. /// See attached video .
Unable to reproduce customer concern at this time. Customer stated it is the same noise as the previous front drive unit had. Advised customer the current directive is not to replace the drive unit again as it doesn't pose a driveability concern at this time.
I can't spend more time in visiting the SC, I am back to work and will be busy won't be able to make more visits in the near future. I will have a look at the group messages from time to time. Thanks!

Reactions: likkuid
looks like drive unit is not the only fix for this issue. hate it Tesla dismissing it as not driveabilty concern. my brand new MY started to have the same issue in first week itself and value of the car is significantly down if I am to resell this car now.

Hey yo.

I posted already a few months ago and fill out this form somebody posted.
My MYLR Jan 2022, China built, does the same noise since day 1. I live in Luxembourg (europe). I never took my car to SC because i need my car everyday. I just mentioned it once at the very beginning and they had no clue what i’m talking about…
So i’m basically just sitting here, reading this threat once in a while, until tesla finally acknowledges the issue :)

Thx

Wow...
Lucky you.....

After picking up my car from SC that they were not able to replicate, I did hear noise again next morning.
Went to see SC again on the following day. and this time I drove with tech, and I was able to replicate the noise but tech said he couldn't hear at all... noise was consistenly there but the tech rejected service because he can't hear it...(seems to be in 50s). But said that the tech test drove with 2 other techs but did not notice the noise at all.

This is my 3rd time visit for the issue but the tech told me that I'm just sensitive to sound and unless the noise can be hear by the tech or everyone they are not willing to investigate.

Also, brought up the front driver issue, but it can't be the driver unit because noise is only making at specific speed and it does not get louder as speed increase, so nothing to do with driver unit... asked if they can look into it but unless they confirm they wont.

Do I have to live with it?

After my 3rd visit, and SC techs claiming that they cannot hear or notice the sounds, I've been living with it for about month but so irritating that I can still hear the noise. Once you recognize the noise, it can't be never heard.....
For folks who got resolved from SC, was the noise very significant and loud that anyone could hear or was is subtle and quiet that you actually have to listen carefully to detect the noise but your SC techs were sensitive and generous enough to take the issue seriously.

I'm afraid what would be my next step as my nearest SC is not willing to resolve the issue together..

I was on a thread about a rattle and in the background of the video, I can hear the cricket noise in the background (turn the sound all the way up):

I'm torn on whether or not to tell the guy he has our noise; either he knows about it and it's driving him crazy or he hasn't heard it/doesn't care, but pointing it out might make him never able to unhear it. 😂

Edit: and another person who has the noise and might not know/notice/care: 2023 rattle from the back need help
And another Front passenger seat rattle

I'm really starting to wonder if literally every MY/M3 made after late 2021 has this issue. And the reason we don't see more complaints is most people just can't hear it or don't notice/care.

Last edited:
Reactions: likkuid
Add another one to the list. Just took delivery of a 2023 MYLR7 yesterday. Car was built on 2/26. High pitch, kind of staticky/sputtering noise from 50-75 mph. Only really in steady-state speed conditions.

I had a 2021 Model 3 before, and that car was dead silent. I know what normal EV accel/decel sound is like.

Service center appt next week.

Reactions: tommychanchiwa
I think we might have the same problem.

I just took delivery of a 23 MYLR7 yesterday (3/13) and then drove home about 250 miles. At some point I realized it was a noisier than the 2021 Model 3 SR+ that I had before and thought, maybe this is normal now that there is a front motor. My Model 3 was dead silent.

Once I got out of traffic and out on flat, open highway, I was able to investigate a bit further: HVAC system on/off, different speeds, etc. The conclusion for me is that it comes on around 50-55 mph and continues up to 75. It is only really present at steady-state conditions, not accel or decel. (There are different, "normal" sounding noises during accel and decel, as I expect.) It is a relatively faint noise that can be drowned out somewhat with the sound system, but once you hear it, it's hard to ignore.

Sidenote: I'm a controls/test engineer for commercial vehicle powertrains, so I basically get paid to find and fix problems like this... there may be people that would never even notice this noise. But I think I have an above-average sensitivity to noise and irregularities in data.

The OP described it as a sound that sometimes "sputters". That's the same impression I had. It is like a staticky noise coming on and off in a somewhat irregular pattern, which is probably what makes it so annoying. At one point I thought it might be related to a coolant pump or valve based on the sound.

I was searching facebook groups and forums like crazy when I got home, trying to see if it was only me, and it seems like there is somewhat of a history here. I'm not sure all cases are the same issue, but there is definitely some kind of trend. Possible root causes I've seen discussed are: ground straps, penthouse perimeter seals, bearings, drive units, windshield seals....

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed right now. Brand new car, and an issue that I have no idea if Tesla is really going to help fix or not. Besides this, the car seems to perform great. I'm going to start with a service center appt.
Quoting from your other post.

Oh wow you're very uniquely qualified to diagnose this!

Not sure how much backstory you're read on this thread but Tesla has a service article for it and they told at least one person when they replaced their front drive unit that it was a bad bearing. It's definitely coming from the front drive unit, but I'm less sure they know it's a bad bearing. I've also thought it sounds like high pressure coolant or maybe even electronics noise, but I noticed mine shuts up when you go around an exit ramp at speed, maybe the loading on the drive shaft/bearings are enough to quiet it. I wouldn't think electronics noise would care about that.

I have a microphone attached to a magnet and took some recordings of the front drive unit and the noise is extremely loud (clips the microphone). Lots of other interesting noises too:

I was on a thread about a rattle and in the background of the video, I can hear the cricket noise in the background (turn the sound all the way up):

I'm torn on whether or not to tell the guy he has our noise; either he knows about it and it's driving him crazy or he hasn't heard it/doesn't care, but pointing it out might make him never able to unhear it. 😂

Edit: and another person who has the noise and might not know/notice/care: 2023 rattle from the back need help
And another Front passenger seat rattle

I'm really starting to wonder if literally every MY/M3 made after late 2021 has this issue. And the reason we don't see more complaints is most people just can't hear it or don't notice/care.
You are 100% right. I also have this sound and my girlfriend tell that I am crazy because she doesn’t hear it xD. Of course it is more prevalent when the car is cold, but I think that so many people have it that we should consider it as normal. For example I don’t want to spend my time on riding to the different SC to finally have said that this sound isn’t within the spec and then pray for the front motor which doesn’t have the issue. It is really not worth any of my time, this sound isn’t something really annoying when you don’t think about it or listen to music. I suggest goin get SC for example in 2/3/4 years when the front motors will be updated/corrected and when the guarantee will end soon. Now we should be happy that the car is as it is and nothing more

Same thing happened to me - I tried to convince the tech that I had high pitch noise at 50 MPH - there was also a slight bearing loose kinda noise - he came for a test drive and agreed - and I was told the drive unit will be replaced and they did it.

I thought they changed the rear but in fact it turned out the front drive unit was replaced.

I do not hear the bearing noise anymore - just the whine sometimes that I will probably live with …