Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@everyone
I need your help to defeat Tesla's Lawyers. They argue the noise we are hearing (high pitch noise from 40-70 mph) is not covered by the warranty, and that it is my responsibility to prove it is a defect. Further, the engineers and SC argue it's normal. How should I phrase my rebuttal?

Picked up my 23 model Y and I noticed this noise after 2 weeks and realized it seemed abnormal. After visiting the SC in smithtown twice each time I was let down.

On my second visit the technician was borderline demeaning, when I mentioned the forum and the recording I had in MY car he flipped out.

He got upset and nasty claiming new Tesla owners are “stupid” for relying on Tesla forums for information. He eventually agreed to listen to the recording and deemed it within spec!

I’m tired and honestly seeing the number of people in this thread who have this problem it might become the norm for new Tesla’s.

The weather has become warm and the noise has become quieter, I’ll try the SC again during winter time.

On a side note do you guys think the noise can possibly be normal? Considering how many people have it perhaps all motors have the problem, and some are quieter than others?

How is the syosset SC?

Picked up my 23 model Y and I noticed this noise after 2 weeks and realized it seemed abnormal. After visiting the SC in smithtown twice each time I was let down.

On my second visit the technician was borderline demeaning, when I mentioned the forum and the recording I had in MY car he flipped out.

He got upset and nasty claiming new Tesla owners are “stupid” for relying on Tesla forums for information. He eventually agreed to listen to the recording and deemed it within spec!

I’m tired and honestly seeing the number of people in this thread who have this problem it might become the norm for new Tesla’s.

The weather has become warm and the noise has become quieter, I’ll try the SC again during winter time.

On a side note do you guys think the noise can possibly be normal? Considering how many people have it perhaps all motors have the problem, and some are quieter than others?

How is the syosset SC?
You should try the one in Long Island city, although I had no luck there during the first visit, I’m planning on heading back on the second.

Picked up a new model y LR beginning of March. Noticed the noise while driving back from the dealer and booked an appointment to take a look at it but was told that it was "within spec." I then started to notice that the noise got really loud and even at lower speeds and was able to find this fourm which I took to the service center. They told me they will take a few recordings and see if I need a new front Drive unit. Turns out I did indeed need one. I went to pick up the car approximately 6 days after and when the technician drove the car to the front the front screen stopped working. Supposedly a coolant issue that needed filling. So I got back into my loaner and returned the next day only to have the car completely dead AT the service center. This is now day 10 of them having my car and I was just informed that the front drive unit that they had just replaced had failed and that they are again replacing the front drive unit in the car. I was told that I would be able to pick it up tomorrow and hopefully the noise and any other problems with the car are taken care. Hopefully the vehicle is not a lemon with 3 issues plaguing my ownership so far. At least I get to experience the model S p100d :')

Reactions: Benito1283
This is the noise we're talking about on this thread (I've boosted the volume a bunch):
Also who177e's video above demonstrates is perfectly

And here are a bunch of unrelated high pitch noises that are different than the one we're talking about on this thread (some of which are cause by bad ground straps or poor penthouse seals):

Normal inverter whine:

Inverter whine, but abnormally pulsing:

Loud inverter whine (louder than it should be)
Finally, I was able to locate the noise and capture it on the recording. I thought the noise came from the rear, but instead it was from the front.

What's interesting is the only thing that truly makes it shut up is a strong prolonged right turn, like an exit ramp or doing a circle in a large parking lot going 20+ mph. Interestingly a similar left turn has absolutely no effect on the sound--still there. This is leading me to believe that it's a mechanical issue with the front drive unit (bearing or otherwise), not electrical (inverters/harmonics etc). The fact that it quiets on right but not left turns might have to do with how the drive unit experiences different loading forces with right vs left turns. But again suggests a mechanical issue, not electrical. It could also be as simple as the oil in the oil pan is sloshing to one side, covering the noisy part.
For what it's worth, I've tried the prolonged right turn at speed (mostly using exit ramps) and the sound still manages to happen during those. So I'm not sure that is going to be a universal fix for everyone.

Just for kicks, I experimented tonight with driving on the highway, letting the high pitched sound start and then shifted into neutral and let the vehicle coast at speed. Interestingly enough, the sound was still there in doing so. Maybe the front drive unit doesn't disengage even when the car is in neutral? Because if it does and the sound is still there, that would indicate that the sound is coming from elsewhere in the vehicle?

For clarity, my sound typically kicks in at 55 and is probably worst around 60-65. It's still present at speeds higher than that, though. The high pitched noise is reproducible all the time, but it does fade in and out. Sometimes it's quite loud, but it will go away completely for a few seconds, and then come back just the same as it was before, etc. The sound itself is present on every single drive at those speeds, but is intermittent vs making noise all the time.

Reactions: yyzm3
I tried that switch the neutural , and yes the noise is still there. Does anyone know is it able to turn off front drive unit? Can performance model y do that in track mode?
Good question. I have a MYP so I went out tonight and played with track mode. I shifted the power to 100% rear wheels and 0% front wheels. Vehicle still made noise at the usual speeds. But I guess that also seems to jive with the fact that it makes noise while coasting in neutral.

I turned off regenerative breaking to no effect. I went back to normal and tried chill mode to no effect.

No combination of settings that I tried made the high pitched, intermittent noise disappear.

I tried that switch the neutural , and yes the noise is still there. Does anyone know is it able to turn off front drive unit? Can performance model y do that in track mode?
My tesla tech told me he had disabled the front drive unit during a test drive and the noise was still there. So definitely nothing to do with the inverter, probably a purely mechanical issue.

Reactions: ev_go123
Add another one to the list. Just took delivery of a 2023 MYLR7 yesterday. Car was built on 2/26. High pitch, kind of staticky/sputtering noise from 50-75 mph. Only really in steady-state speed conditions.

I had a 2021 Model 3 before, and that car was dead silent. I know what normal EV accel/decel sound is like.

Service center appt next week.
What did the service center say?

My tesla tech told me he had disabled the front drive unit during a test drive and the noise was still there. So definitely nothing to do with the inverter, probably a purely mechanical issue.
That's interesting. Purely mechanical is what I was suspecting too and would align with what Tesla is saying is wrong (bearing issue). Wonder if he kept the oil pump on when he disabled the front drive unit, I would sort of hope so...

Also just as an FYI with these cars, the front/rear drive unit gearing and motor rotor are all tied directly to the wheels. So if they disable a drive unit, all they can do is disable power to the inverter. The motor/gears/bearings all still spin. Just giving more info in case people care.

Also for FYI, "neutral" in these cars is faked--it's not like disconnecting the engine in an ICE car. For Tesla's it still spins all of the gears/bearings/motors. All it really does it makes sure there's no power going in/out of the motors.

Reactions: Dadaaaaaaa
Yup. I was never convinced that it was power to the front motor unit that was causing the problem since the noise was always still present even with no power applied and while decelerating, etc.

I could see it being a bearing that was out of spec or under lubricated. The sound definitely has that metal on metal kind of pitch to it. Like a train wheel on a track or a piece of metal being worked on a lathe or something.

Reactions: Dadaaaaaaa
For clarity, my sound typically kicks in at 55 and is probably worst around 60-65. It's still present at speeds higher than that, though. The high pitched noise is reproducible all the time, but it does fade in and out. Sometimes it's quite loud, but it will go away completely for a few seconds, and then come back just the same as it was before, etc. The sound itself is present on every single drive at those speeds, but is intermittent vs making noise all the time.
This is literally my exact experience with my 2023 M3LR (Nov 2022 build date)