Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker but just signed up to say thanks to the numerous posts here detailing their issues.
I have a 22' M3LR and have the same issue.
The car actually started making this noise within the first week of ownership but was very faint and only seemed to stick around during cold weather. Fast foward abiut 10 months and the noise has progressively gotten worse. Took two trips to the SC to get it diagnosed (first time they couldn't replicate it).

After showing them these videos and describing the issue I was happening they managed to replicate this issue. New Front DU is now on order.

Just curious, has anyone seen the removal/replacement procedure for a M3LR front DU?

I'm booked for a replacement in a few weeks so fingers crossed all pans out well...
I'm on the same boat it keeps getting worse with each 100 miles I drive. They had engineering review audio clips, a local "pro" come look at it, and decided to cancel my front DU from being replaced as the noise is NORMAL. Within the next month I'll have a court date if they don't settle early.

The day finally came and I had my Front DU replaced on my M3LR. Tesla supplied a MYP for a loaner (Oddly I didn't feel like it had as much kick to it as my M3LR with AB). Anyhow, had about a 50min commute home today and didn't have any noise whatsoever! Will see how it goes tomorrow morning in the cold. Will probably find a few excuses this weekend to go for a long drive to make sure things check out.
For those who may be looking for a part # at some point the one that was used was
ASY,M3,FRONT
3DU,GLOBAL(1120960-
10-H).
The one that came out was a revision H too so I hope it was only a bad batch.

Also, don't know if I was just imagining things but I swear I heard the same cricket like noises in the MYP 🤣 that one had only done about 1,100km 🙃

For what it's worth, I did go through the process of having multiple appointments and finally did get my front drive unit replaced on my Model Y.

Unfortunately, the new drive unit was not as quiet as I would have hoped. While they had my MYP at the shop, they gave me a MYLR loaner which never made the noises that my vehicle does. After getting my MYP back, I found that it still makes noise although it is significantly better than the original drive unit was. I would say that the noise only happens maybe 10% of the time that it originally did which makes it not that distracting in all honesty.

Hopefully, that reduction in noise is more due to the drive unit swap than it was just the coincidence of summer finally coming and the colder weather being behind us. But if the noise happens to persist in the fall when cooler temps return, I'll head back down to the SC and let them know that it's still there.

I had exact same issue, FDU was replaced, it didn’t resolve the issue for me. I’ve continued to have the SC document the noise being made. I understand why they won’t replace FDU as that is not actually fixing the issue. My goal is to provide them info so hopefully they can properly diagnose and be able to repair. My personal opinion is threatening a lawsuit is counter-productive.

Get an early morning appointment, that seems to be best time to actually have a tech join for a test drive. In my experience if they aren’t with me personally they do not hear it. After they hear it they record it and share with engineering and we wait. It’s a real annoying sound, I hope they can figure it out and resolve. If not, I enjoy everything else about the car and will adjust my speed to avoid 63/64 which is when I hear it the most.

I had exact same issue, FDU was replaced, it didn’t resolve the issue for me. I’ve continued to have the SC document the noise being made. I understand why they won’t replace FDU as that is not actually fixing the issue. My goal is to provide them info so hopefully they can properly diagnose and be able to repair. My personal opinion is threatening a lawsuit is counter-productive.

Get an early morning appointment, that seems to be best time to actually have a tech join for a test drive. In my experience if they aren’t with me personally they do not hear it. After they hear it they record it and share with engineering and we wait. It’s a real annoying sound, I hope they can figure it out and resolve. If not, I enjoy everything else about the car and will adjust my speed to avoid 63/64 which is when I hear it the most.
This helps, thanks! I just had my second service appointment for this issue. The first time I actually was able to replicate the noise during the ride-along and the tech heard it. They attempted to torque all the suspension components to fix it (didn't work, unsurprisingly). Unfortunately, my Model Y was completely quiet on the second appointment's technician ride. The SC is about 25 minutes from my house, so even though I heard the noises on the way there, they went away during the drive that mattered.

I probably stressed more than I should have hoping the sound would actually occur during the diagnostic drive. Although it remains frustrating not to have a solution, it helps a bit to know that I'm not missing out on a FDU replacement that could resolve the problem.

👍 If able to elaborate or share how please do. I’m giving them a chance to resolve the issue with my vehicle, but I’d they can’t I’d like to know options.
Hi! I used tesla's arbitration system at first, and lost because I didn't have a SC ticket showing a part of my vehicle as defective. So I took it to multiple SC's until they diagnosed my front DU, and then I used that ticket to bring it to a random lawyer - lemon law lawyers are TYPICALLY free - and a few months later Tesla has agreed to buyback my vehicle. I also kept bringing it back to my normal SC for the noise issue getting worse, and they were about to repair it but I found out I won so I'm done playing around with that. So get documentation of your defect, and make sure you meet your state minimum requirements for a lemon, it will vary. Mine is 4 repeated visits for the same issue, and or 30 days in service.

The key is to keep trying, and don't give up. We paid 50k+ for these cars, and we deserve to be treated decently.

Hi! I used tesla's arbitration system at first, and lost because I didn't have a SC ticket showing a part of my vehicle as defective. So I took it to multiple SC's until they diagnosed my front DU, and then I used that ticket to bring it to a random lawyer - lemon law lawyers are TYPICALLY free - and a few months later Tesla has agreed to buyback my vehicle. I also kept bringing it back to my normal SC for the noise issue getting worse, and they were about to repair it but I found out I won so I'm done playing around with that. So get documentation of your defect, and make sure you meet your state minimum requirements for a lemon, it will vary. Mine is 4 repeated visits for the same issue, and or 30 days in service.

The key is to keep trying, and don't give up. We paid 50k+ for these cars, and we deserve to be treated decently.
Thank you, very helpful!!

Thank you, very helpful!!
After three visits I have been told this noise does not cause drivability or safety issue so for now nothing they can do. If possible to share the lawyer info please do in event I take that route. Also, if you don’t mind sharing - did you get full purchase price buy back or offered a replacement vehicle? I really like this car but the noise drives me nuts.

After three visits I have been told this noise does not cause drivability or safety issue so for now nothing they can do. If possible to share the lawyer info please do in event I take that route. Also, if you don’t mind sharing - did you get full purchase price buy back or offered a replacement vehicle? I really like this car but the noise drives me nuts.
Full purchase price back, and now I can buy an even cheaper MY if I want - but I'm done with Tesla for now until they have a fix for this

Reactions: Shsjj Ueu and Ts91
I just got a call from them stating the noise is abnormal but not enough for them to escalate to engineering and they claim every model Y has some form of this cricket noise. I have attached the report below. I’m gonna try to convince them to escalate before summer hits.

I believe getting the engineering team involved will help diagnose the drive unit. Considering their answer seems half-assed.

I find this laughable, one second I’m told the noise is bad and would be fixed and another that it is not bad enough.

SC in smithtown btw.
Were you able to get your resolved? A few people on this thread would like to know your outcome!

My noise comes and goesound 68-70 dgrees. It will be faint in the morning leaving from my garage and gone when I drive home from work after it sat in the sun all day. IMO, it will return 100% when temps dip back down. I'm planning to make another service appointment when it's cold out and leave it there overnight before the appointment to keep it from warming on the way there.

Reactions: rolling green
i read a Chinese tesla forum that he get tesla service to preform a front drive unit oil change and solve the cricket noise issue. he mention that the oil in the drive unit is not enough from the manufacture. not sure if that is true
This seems logical, and it could help explain why in some cases a complete drive unit replacement doesn’t resolve the issue if the DUs are systemically coming out of production with the oil underfilled.