Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oil doesn’t really explain the tendency of the noise to happen during 55-65 mph though
Agree.

My noise comes on first thing in the morning as soon as the temp dips below 65F. It's most present from 50 to 70 mph for my vehicle, generally under very light power / Regen, such as when maintaining speed on the highway. It has been 90% better during the summer, though I can still hear it in the background. Now that it's colder, it's getting worse again. The fact that it hasn't been getting consistently worse suggests (IMO) that this is an electromechanical resonnance issue that must have come about when Tesla revised components in the inverter / drive system.

Greetings from Sweden. I have a 2023 M3P and I also have this issue. Mobile service tested the car yesterday and did hear the sound but I need to visit a SC 3h away so they can contuct more tests. Thinking about waiting for possibly a recall before I visit. Super irritating.

But studded winter tires are soon to be fitted..maybe they will drone out the sound lol.

Following.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd
i read a Chinese tesla forum that he get tesla service to preform a front drive unit oil change and solve the cricket noise issue. he mention that the oil in the drive unit is not enough from the manufacture. not sure if that is true
Quite fascinating... I've noticed that my wife's Model Y, purchased in May of '23, also begins to produce that noise in colder temperatures. I actually encountered the noise consistently in the morning a few weeks ago. However, I decided to take a 10-minute break in a small parking area alongside the road, which had a slight leftward incline. Surprisingly, when I resumed driving on the road, the noise had disappeared! It leads me to consider the possibility of the oil theory being valid.

Can you share the link to that forum ?

Quite fascinating... I've noticed that my wife's Model Y, purchased in May of '23, also begins to produce that noise in colder temperatures. I actually encountered the noise consistently in the morning a few weeks ago. However, I decided to take a 10-minute break in a small parking area alongside the road, which had a slight leftward incline. Surprisingly, when I resumed driving on the road, the noise had disappeared! It leads me to consider the possibility of the oil theory being valid.

Can you share the link to that forum ?
There is no link it is in a chinese app post. He claim that the oil from the manufacturer is not enough or the is air in the drive u it, when during cold temperatures the oil in the drive unit not smooth due to insufficient oil in the unit. I am not sure this is the cause and I would like to know of tesla will accept this theory.

Last edited:
There is no link it is in a chinese app post. He claim that the oil from the manufacturer is not enough, when during cold temperatures the oil in the drive unit not smooth due to insufficient oil in the unit. I am not sure this is the cause and I would like to know of tesla will accept this theory.
Another poster in this thread did pretty significant testing on his own and found that when he turned left (or right, can’t remember), like on an on-ramp or off-ramp, the sound immediately disappeared. This might support the oil theory since it might slosh to one side during the turn.

Another poster in this thread did pretty significant testing on his own and found that when he turned left (or right, can’t remember), like on an on-ramp or off-ramp, the sound immediately disappeared. This might support the oil theory since it might slosh to one side during the turn.
Here is that post. Seems like right turns for him..?
Oh mine doesn't go away with power increase, I can hear it from hard acceleration (up to when the front motors turn on, then it's hard to tell) down to hard regen. And it goes away during right turns regardless of power (increasing speed, decreasing, maintaining). And I don't mean is faint, it's truly silent (again listening with directly to the drive unit with a microphone). Also left hand turns have no effect on the sound. I was playing with this in a parking lot, counterclockwise turn (left) makes noise, then clockwise loop (right) no noise. Maybe I'll make a video.

Reactions: 777Path
Here is that post. Seems like right turns for him..?
Right turns and left incline from Dadaaaaaaa's post would in both situations have more oil is heading to the left side of the front drive unit.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to see if the FDU is lacking oil? And/or to top it off if necessary? I've only been able to see on instance where the drive unit oil was changed, but that was for a different model Tesla and not a FDU of a Model Y.

So my vehicle normally resides in our garage at night but last night we left it outside. It got down into the 40s overnight and even after preheating/defrosting for 15 min before hand, the noise was back in full force, worse than ever on my short trip to work. Loud enough where I had to turn off the music because I could hear it in the background and it was incredibly distracting. Turning one direction or the other did not make it get any better or worse and it was loudest between 60 and 70, and particularly bad at light throttle or regen.

Reactions: 777Path
Does this mean they replaced the front drive unit??

Attachments

• IMG_3162.png
    IMG_3162.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 99
If the noise is still there, what is the next step?
You could try to get them to replace it again? But that might be an uphill battle. You could try to lemon law the car or just live with it.

I've also had the FDU replaced once and it still makes the noise (at lower speeds), and my SC is very frustrating to deal with. When cold/winter comes, we'll see if it's annoying enough again to continue pursuing.

• Informative
Reactions: Happy Hippo
You could try to get them to replace it again? But that might be an uphill battle. You could try to lemon law the car or just live with it.

I've also had the FDU replaced once and it still makes the noise (at lower speeds), and my SC is very frustrating to deal with. When cold/winter comes, we'll see if it's annoying enough again to continue pursuing.
I am picking up my car today, they had it for a week for a brake fluid leak or sensor they replaced. I am not crossing my fingers until the winter comes so I can hear it better if it is still there, even though you could still hear it during the summer which I told them when I dropped it off last week.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd
There is no link it is in a chinese app post. He claim that the oil from the manufacturer is not enough or the is air in the drive u it, when during cold temperatures the oil in the drive unit not smooth due to insufficient oil in the unit. I am not sure this is the cause and I would like to know of tesla will accept this theory.
This is pretty discerning if true. It could mean something in the FDU running dry and could be wearing out prematurely.

The cold makes oil more viscous and less likely to splash around and coat everything well. Theroteically they should've designed it such that this wouldn't' be a problem but who knows.

Right turns and left incline from Dadaaaaaaa's post would in both situations have more oil is heading to the left side of the front drive unit.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to see if the FDU is lacking oil? And/or to top it off if necessary? I've only been able to see on instance where the drive unit oil was changed, but that was for a different model Tesla and not a FDU of a Model Y.
Very interesting on the left incline, that would make some sense. The difference is when I take that hard right exit, the noise comes back almost immediately after leaving the turn. Sounds like the nosie went away for a while with Dadaaaaaaa's incline. Maybe it had longer to soak in?

Replacing the oil doesn't actually look that hard. Granted I'm not sure if I want to risk Tesla claiming it was messed up and invalidate any future powertrain warranties:

Reactions: cwhite51
This is pretty discerning if true. It could mean something in the FDU running dry and could be wearing out prematurely.

The cold makes oil more viscous and less likely to splash around and coat everything well. Theroteically they should've designed it such that this wouldn't' be a problem but who knows.

Very interesting on the left incline, that would make some sense. The difference is when I take that hard right exit, the noise comes back almost immediately after leaving the turn. Sounds like the nosie went away for a while with Dadaaaaaaa's incline. Maybe it had longer to soak in?

Replacing the oil doesn't actually look that hard. Granted I'm not sure if I want to risk Tesla claiming it was messed up and invalidate any future powertrain warranties:

If it is indeed lack of oil causing the noise, then most likely the damage is already done and filling it now will just mask it.

I had about 3 hour shouting match with Cherry Hill SC about this issue while back. It's time to go back for another spin.

Did some testing in my M3P today. Drove the car to a nearby backroad. Around 13 degrees Celsius (55 Fahrenheit) here in Sweden today. On the way there I hear the noise as usual. While arriving to the backroad I turn on track mode, 20/80 split. Went and drove the car hard, both hard right/left turns. Really pushed it. Also did a test emergency break from 200km/h-0km/h.

Then i turn of track mode and headed home. During the 15 minute drive home I didn't hear the noise once, completely gone.

This is so weird. Will drive the car again later today, will listen if the noise returns when the engines/oil have cooled down..if that is the issue, that the engine/oil needs to be warm and be slushed around.