Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did some testing in my M3P today. Drove the car to a nearby backroad. Around 13 degrees Celsius (55 Fahrenheit) here in Sweden today. On the way there I hear the noise as usual. While arriving to the backroad I turn on track mode, 20/80 split. Went and drove the car hard, both hard right/left turns. Really pushed it. Also did a test emergency break from 200km/h-0km/h.

Then i turn of track mode and headed home. During the 15 minute drive home I didn't hear the noise once, completely gone.

This is so weird. Will drive the car again later today, will listen if the noise returns when the engines/oil have cooled down..if that is the issue, that the engine/oil needs to be warm and be slushed around.

If it is an "oil thing", it makes sense that the noise comes up mostly during cold temperatures and goes away when temperatures are higher. But what sense does it make for it to be present mostly (or only) around 80-90 km/h, and gone at other speeds? I don't see how that fits in the oil theory

Reactions: Ts91
If it is an "oil thing", it makes sense that the noise comes up mostly during cold temperatures and goes away when temperatures are higher. But what sense does it make for it to be present mostly (or only) around 80-90 km/h, and gone at other speeds? I don't see how that fits in the oil theory
Yeah me neither. I'm starting to think it's a battery warming issue. Saw that speculation earlier In this thread. Because after my back road rip, the motors AND the battery should have been quite warm, hence no noise. Will try to charge the car later tonight and then directly go out for a drive to see if the warmer battery has anything to do with this.

So charging the car didn't do anything. Battery and both drive inverters around 14 degrees Celsius. But what I did was navigate to nearest SuC, after around 15 minutes drive the sound was gone. Parked up and looked at the temps. Around 45 degrees Celsius for the HV battery and both inverters. Drove home for around 25-30 minutes, ambient temp of 8 degrees Celsius. No noise. Clueless..wondering how the winter here is going to be, we get around -20 degrees Celsius here.

So charging the car didn't do anything. Battery and both drive inverters around 14 degrees Celsius. But what I did was navigate to nearest SuC, after around 15 minutes drive the sound was gone. Parked up and looked at the temps. Around 45 degrees Celsius for the HV battery and both inverters. Drove home for around 25-30 minutes, ambient temp of 8 degrees Celsius. No noise. Clueless..wondering how the winter here is going to be, we get around -20 degrees Celsius here.
I found out by an accident that extremely hard maneuver stops the noise for a while. I'd imagine sudden acceleration/deceleration is sloshing the oil around and silencing it momentarily.

I'm putting lemon in for my car...

Air temps back down to 55F here on west coast USA and this annoying cricket chirping noise is back with a vengeance after a relatively quiet summer enjoying warmer temps. My car's symptoms are exactly as described by others here. Took it into a service center last winter for this issue but struggled to replicate the noise due to the drivetrain warming up, and then the service center kept it inside overnight for morning testing vs. outside as I requested so they also weren't able to replicate it in the morning. Nearest service center for me is over an hour away, I'm not looking forward to trying to figure this out this fall/winter, but the noise is SO annoying- it's the only thing I can focus on during my commute- the intermittent nature of the chirping makes it especially difficult to ignore or drown out with music (vs. a more consistent noise that might blend in as background white noise).

Reactions: cwhite51 and Ts91
Any updates from anybody? Temperatures have lowered here in Madrid, and the noise is back. I still have 2 years of warranty ahead, so I'd rather have a confirmation that this is going to be definitely fixed before taking it again to service

Any updates from anybody? Temperatures have lowered here in Madrid, and the noise is back. I still have 2 years of warranty ahead, so I'd rather have a confirmation that this is going to be definitely fixed before taking it again to service
I’m taking mine in again tomorrow. I’m skeptical they will take any action. I will report back in any case!

Reactions: cwhite51
As predicted on this thread, my noises are becoming more prevalent as temperatures decrease. At this point, I have three separate, but possibly related noises:
  • 55-75 mph, most common at 60 mph: an infrequent, high-pitched ringing sound that seems like a faulty or inadequately lubricated bearing. This seems to come from the front drive unit area, possibly more on the driver side than the center or passenger side. This noise seems to happen more frequently when the vehicle is cold, before it is conditioned/warmed up by driving.
  • 40-45 mph, peaks at 45 mph: a pulsating chirping noise that transitions into a constant squeal as speeds increase. This noise is similar to more typical electric motor noises heard during acceleration, but it is unusual in that it continues at constant speed or even deceleration. It maybe sounds like something is out of round? It reminds me of an electric golf cart or Power Wheels kids toy. Similar to the first noise above, this seems to emanate from the front drive unit area.
  • When applying or quickly releasing accelerator pedal: a clunking noise that I've just recently started noticing. Sounds like something shifting in and out of place, from the same area as the other two noises (front motor area).
I've noticed the first two noises on my MYLR since taking delivery this May. I've been through three service visits so far at the same service center. The results so far:
  • Visit #1: Noise confirmed during demo drive. Tech decided to check all suspension components to ensure they were properly tightened. Although they said they didn't hear the noise again during their post-fix demo drives, the problem quickly returned.
  • Visit #2: Despite making the noise on my drive to the 2nd service appointment, my Model Y was a model citizen during this visit's tech ride-along. Not a sound to my disappointment.
  • Visit #3: I was able to replicate both of the first two sounds during the two tech ride-alongs this visit (one by a technician, one by the service manager). However, both were somewhat quieter than they usually are (again, thanks perhaps to the vehicle getting warmed up on the way to the service center), and both noises were not deemed to be large enough of an issue to warrant any repair or corrective action. I was frustratingly told that they have heard other vehicles much worse than mine. Was that meant to make me feel better? They don't need to resolve a vehicle's issues if there's another vehicle out there with worse issues?
I'm extremely frustrated that I purchased a brand new vehicle and it already is making noises like a high-mileage ICE vehicle that needs a new serpentine belt. I'm tempted to create a new service appointment to try again, but if they deny warranty repairs again, to just see what a related repair could cost out of pocket. What would make sense? Drain and replace front drive unit oil? Examine front left wheel hub assembly for bearing issues?

Sorry for the rant! Thanks again to all on this thread acting as a support group with similar issues... I continue to follow closely to see if anyone finds a sure fix for these issues.

Reactions: Ts91 and Engi_Nerd
Thanks! My hope is that at some point this gets documented and its resolution standardized... and I hope that happens before my warranty ends!
Murphy struck and of course it wasn’t making any noise this morning. I probably shouldn’t have kept the car in the garage overnight.

Then when I picked the car up after work after it had been sitting all day….the noise was back. Of course service center was closed by then.

Well, another member to the club. I have the same issue as you guys. Been to the SC earlier this year, but the sound was difficult to reproduce. Then summer started and the sound was sort of gone.

At the moment it is back. So, I've been to the SC again but there is only one person who hears it. They had the car for 2 days to reproduce, say that it's fixed, but it isn't.

Pfff...

Also curious if anyone has an update from their SC on the path to a long-term fix. At the tail end of last winter I had finally convinced Tesla to replace the FDU in my family's Model Y (after already having had a FDU replacement resolve the issue in my Model 3) and by the time we got the car back from service temps were increasing and the noise was gone. With temps dipping back down here in Minnesota this fall the noise is back on the Y. Very frustrating. Hoping for a better solve this time around than just hoping a third drive unit will be the fix...

Another new member, but reporting the same problem.

M3P, 6800 miles.

Took it to the SC today here in San Antonio, TX, and this was my experience:

Drove a service technician to show him the noise, he couldn't hear it, even though it was obvious

He called a second one technician to the ride, couldn't hear it.

Both technicians drove the car while I was on the passenger seat, I was able to hear it from there and they supposedly couldn't.

I showed them my video of this (which is similar to the one posted here) and the video on the link shared here, they basically shrugged off like they couldn't hear it.

What the hell?

I haven't scrolled through the entire 33 pages here, but I have this same problem and a fellow Tesla driver said they had solved a similar sounding noise and it turned out to be the radiator cooling fan. He confirmed it got worse in cold weather Radiator Cooling Fan Squeak/Rattle . Specifically the "squeak" noise video.

> 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y Cooling Radiator Fan Shroud Assembly 1494179-00-B OEM

Thought I would mention it here first, but I was planning to investigate some more this weekend

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I haven't scrolled through the entire 33 pages here, but I have this same problem and a fellow Tesla driver said they had solved a similar sounding noise and it turned out to be the radiator cooling fan. He confirmed it got worse in cold weather Radiator Cooling Fan Squeak/Rattle . Specifically the "squeak" noise video.

> 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y Cooling Radiator Fan Shroud Assembly 1494179-00-B OEM

Thought I would mention it here first, but I was planning to investigate some more this weekend
Definitely the noise is quite similar. BUT, the noise I have is clearly hearable from inside the car, driving at 60mph. And that video is with the car stopped and requires you to put the phone close to the source of sound in order to hear it...

Definitely the noise is quite similar. BUT, the noise I have is clearly hearable from inside the car, driving at 60mph. And that video is with the car stopped and requires you to put the phone close to the source of sound in order to hear it...
Maybe, but in my experience from another (ICE) car I could hear this noise inside the cabin in the right conditions. I do not think it is necessary to put the phone close to it to hear. The camera man was only doing that to show where it is and well capture the noise.