Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hiline

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2022
Los Angeles
Listings
I just bought a Model 3 and am learning the charging logistics. I noticed my building has this outlet but it’s too big for the mobile connector that came with my car. What kind of outlet is this? What kind of adapter do I need to enable charging my car through it?

63A8A855-7972-45F6-99FC-31538F60144A.jpeg

NEMA 6-50.

Says it right at the top.

:)

You can buy a pigtail for the UMC from the Tesla shop.

Also, check with the building to make sure it's OK to use that to charge your vehicle. It's the right thing to do.
Aaahhh totally didn't see the characters on top because of the scratches! Yes the building has been trying to find out how to charge me. I just wanted to know if I need a wall connector or whether I can simply plug into that outlet. :)

Also, is it safe to plug directly into this outlet with the mobile connector or would I be better off charging through a wall connector?
Wall connector is always the best charging experience. If your building installs it (it must be hardwired) they might be able to set it up to automatically bill you for charging. If that's an outdoor plug, the UMC wouldn't be recommended. If it's inside a dry garage you should have an electrician verify everything is on the up and up. Even still, much plugging and unplugging can lead to wear on the outlet and cause failure, though it's probably unlikely with a quality well installed outlet.

Wall connector is always the best charging experience. If your building installs it (it must be hardwired) they might be able to set it up to automatically bill you for charging. If that's an outdoor plug, the UMC wouldn't be recommended. If it's inside a dry garage you should have an electrician verify everything is on the up and up. Even still, much plugging and unplugging can lead to wear on the outlet and cause failure, though it's probably unlikely with a quality well installed outlet.
This is a direction that the building may be exploring. Installing the wall connector seems like a lot of work though. If the building is willing to make the upfront investment for me and future tenants, great. Otherwise, I'm left to my own device. I may need to pay for the wall connector and its installation out of pocket. So I'd prefer a plug and play solution if it doesn't lead to other complications. It is an exposed garage - so it's covered but not closed, and SoCal weather is quite dry so I'm not concerned about rain or something disrupting the charging process. Would the mobile connector regulate the current enough that fluctuations in the outlet's power would not damage the battery do you think? Maybe the building's electrician can help with verifying the quality of the outlet too.

Also, is it safe to plug directly into this outlet with the mobile connector or would I be better off charging through a wall connector?
You need a 6-50 adapter for your mobile connector to use this 6-50 outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
1104936-10-C_0_2000.jpg

With the 6-50 adapter, the mobile connector will allow for up to 32A. If the outlet is connected to a 40A or 50A circuit, that is within spec (EV charging amperage can be up to 80% of the circuit's maximum amperage). If it is in an exposed area, you may want to build a lockable box around the outlet to contain the body of the mobile connector (but with a hole to let the cord to the car go through) to reduce the risk of theft.

Whether a wall connector that can do up to 48A on a 60A circuit is worth it for you depends on how much you value the faster charging (assuming you have a vehicle that has faster than 32A charging). Adding a 60A circuit could be expensive if it is a long way from the panel, and more so if the panel requires upgrading to handle another 60A circuit.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Hiline
Would the mobile connector regulate the current enough that fluctuations in the outlet's power would not damage the battery do you think?
There's absolutely no risk to the battery regardless of the outlet's power. If it goes well out of spec(short of perhaps a lightning strike), the car will cut off charging. It may or may not actually be a 240V outlet, since some commercial/large-residential complexes might have 208V circuits. Even that doesn't matter, since the car will happily charge at that voltage too.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Hiline
A Wall Connector is currently $400 from Tesla. If your building already has an electrician on staff, he can replace that receptacle with the Wall Connector in a couple of hours. If there are other tenants with Teslas, they could install two Wall Connectors sharing that same circuit - the units, if configured properly, will dynamically share the available power.

As for building power fluctuations, they will not affect your car’s battery. The car can charge on a very wide voltage range of about 100 volts to 280 volts.