Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Top Speed on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was a little bit harsh, but he's reasonable to point out that the question that is the subject of the thread is directly answered in the product description pages at the official site.

Correct, except they don't mention anything about a limiter, and just wanted to confirm.

I'm sure a lot of questions can be answered by visiting Tesla site, thought this was a forum.

I'll be more careful in the future as to not post 'lousy questions'.

(1) Correct, except they don't mention anything about a limiter, and just wanted to confirm.

(2) I'm sure a lot of questions can be answered by visiting Tesla site, thought this was a forum.

(3) I'll be more careful in the future as to not post 'lousy questions'.
(1) I'm confused. The official site shows the 120, 125, and 130 mph limits depending on which configuration you get. Your concern was/is that they don't say whether the limit is software or hardware enforced? Or was your concern that they advertise one number (120+) and then limit it something lower (85)? I can assure you if it was the latter, the web site would likely be changed by now because many of us the forum would be peltering them with email about "fraud" type concerns.
(2) Many of us assume that forum time (human reading/writing) and space (server) is respected. With that, there is often an expectation that most people will read the official information in depth (I'm not talking web searches for hours on end, just the top level teslamotors.com info) before having additional unanswered questions to discuss further at the forums. Perhaps that assumption is wrong, perhaps not. But that's the context, I think, for the "lousy" assertion.
(3) Great. I'll ignore the potential sarcasm, and hope that you took it as constructive criticism rather than a censorship thing.

Cheers.

You do know that the Tesla web site has a wealth of good information about the Model S, that would probably answer many of your questions, especially basic statistics like the top speed.

The test drive and loaner Model S cars are limited to 85 mph.

When I took my test drive the car was limited to 80 mph. I was told it was initially 85 but they had too many problems even with that speed so they reduced it.

(1) I'm confused. The official site shows the 120, 125, and 130 mph limits depending on which configuration you get. Your concern was/is that they don't say whether the limit is software or hardware enforced? Or was your concern that they advertise one number (120+) and then limit it something lower (85)? I can assure you if it was the latter, the web site would likely be changed by now because many of us the forum would be peltering them with email about "fraud" type concerns.
(2) Many of us assume that forum time (human reading/writing) and space (server) is respected. With that, there is often an expectation that most people will read the official information in depth (I'm not talking web searches for hours on end, just the top level teslamotors.com info) before having additional unanswered questions to discuss further at the forums. Perhaps that assumption is wrong, perhaps not. But that's the context, I think, for the "lousy" assertion.
(3) Great. I'll ignore the potential sarcasm, and hope that you took it as constructive criticism rather than a censorship thing.

Cheers.

All good here. Forum has been a great help, as I'm on the fence about buying a Tesla or not.

Best.

Personally I have found 160 km per hour to be the realistic sustainable Top Speed on the Autobahn.

The suggested speed on the Autobahn is 130 km/h. If you participate in an accident while faster, you will be charged with a partial blame, even if you were not at fault.

This basically my commute to work everyday, in the US.

I've driven about 1000 miles on the autobahn. I do not concur with your statements. I was hauling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys are interested in speed, you should swap out your differential gear. This should not be too difficult.

At 1/2 mile in drag race (in kph):

Speed.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the car's top speed affected by tire diameter?

I've read that the motor's rpm limit is the reason for the limiter, so wouldn't a larger diameter tire give you more distance per rpm (faster speed?). Unless the limiter works based on some other mysterious variable.

This has been on my mind for some time, I would love an explanation or theory!:smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the car's top speed affected by tire diameter?

That would be one factor, although strictly speaking it's tire rpm not tire diameter, however tire diameter is limited by wheel well clearance. But it also depends on how the top speed is calculated. It could be using GPS to determine top speed (not saying that it is, just that it could be).

If my assumptions are correct, a 1 inch increase in tire radius (e.g. 19" vs 21") would increase top speed by about 10%. Some owners put 22" tires so we know those fit at least. I would test this my self if I could but, I don't have the tires... or the car. I doubt that GPS is used to calculate top speed, there are inherent dangers on relying on external signals. Also, the car is able to run to top speed on a dyno so... :confused: