Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your charging situation for the Model 3?

What is your Model 3 charging situation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about people who have to street park.... i'm lucky that I have my own garage, but I have quite a few friends who are showing more interest in electric cars that live in condos/apartments and have to street park it pretty often...

That's a tough situation as depending exclusively on public charging is no bueno. If I were in that situation, I'd lobby my employer to see if I could somehow charge at work.

what about people who have to street park.... i'm lucky that I have my own garage, but I have quite a few friends who are showing more interest in electric cars that live in condos/apartments and have to street park it pretty often...

Eventually cities will have to deal with EV charging infrastructure as well. In Europe, they are already rolling out a test of public charging along the street, using Street Lights to Charge Electric Cars. The network of public chargers will grow as well and pretty much any place that has a parking lot will potentially have public chargers installed.

If you can't always charge at home, work or at a public charger then maybe a PHEV would be a better option for you until the public charging infrastructure meets your needs.

While not ideal, we have had to rely on 120v on several occasions while visiting homes of friends/Airbnb etc with out model S. With normal (not extreme cold) temperatures we get 4/mph on a charge most of the time. This depends on the circuit I guess but that's been our experience. Leaving it plugged in when not in use was definitely manageable.

That's good to know!

How far is it from the meters to the garages. If they are close I don't see why you couldn't run a new circuit from your meter to the garage that is assigned to you.

HOA's are never easy to deal with, but if you can come up with a reasonable solution for both of you, it can be done. If you are willing to help pay for the install, that is usually a good first step to let them know that early on.

Unfortunately, my garage is 100+ feet from the meters. Im not sure my HOA fully understood my question, and it definitely won't be the last time they hear from me on this. I'd be more than happy to pay for them to put the circuit in, and would even pay some sort of EV fee for the electricity if they can't put it on my meter for some reason.

Just to clear it up a bit: It was a $2,000 option on the discontinued Model S 60 and not available on the discontinued Model S 40. On all other versions - and on all versions that is available now - of the Model S and X it is included in the base price.
All I can tell you it was NOT part of the base price on an X. You had to order the premium option to get it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
at my work there are ~5 L2 charging stations for EVs. I believe they are free. There are ~10 people with EVs (no teslas) currently and I know from talking to a few that its quite the juggling act to make sure everyone gets a charge during the day (moves their car etc.)

Its great my company is making an effort but demand quickly outpaces charging stations.

I have no idea where I'll be in 2 years, but probably renting something. Hopefully my landlord is understanding, otherwise I'll be doing 110 and supercharging when necessary. Shouldn't be too bad if my commute stays around 25-30 miles per day.

Might be able to get away with stealing washer/dryer power too.

Maybe sling together two 110s on different breakers to double my charge time. Should be more than enough.

I also work at a small company that makes glorified high voltage, high amperage extension cords, so I can all but guarantee my boss will hook me up. Depends if he charges me for electricity, because then I'd want to charge overnight to save money.

All I can tell you it was NOT part of the base price on an X. You had to order the premium option to get it.

And NOW you got me really surprised! This is the first time I hear anything about this. You are trying to tell me that access to the supercharging network is NOT included in the base price of the Model X? That you have to order the "premium" package to have this access that is included in the base Model S 70? Are you really sure about this?

1st post here.

As I look into going electric, this has been my biggest question. I live in Denver and don't make a ton of money (I have to be the poorest prospective Telsa owner ever), so buying a house is almost impossible for the foreseeable future (wow, the real estate market here is insane). However, if I do put in for a 3, I fully don't expect to receive it until 2019. If the Model 3/Bolt/others take off as hoped, I fully expect a massive expansion of charging options over the next three years, so really I'm not too worried about it. I think by 2019 I'll be able to plug in while grocery shopping, while eating at a restaurant, and while parked on the street. Not to mention being able to steal a cord when I visit the parents or stealing an occasional supercharger spot (maybe). Even though I'm not expecting to be able to charge at home, I figure by the time I actually get this car, I'll be able to piece it together.

If you don't like your HOA, you have 2 real simple fixes...
1) move or only buy in non-HOA areas (HOA do have an upside).
2) Like me, JOIN the HOA board and change things on the inside. In 8 years I've only declined 2 requests (a fence in the front yard and a checkered board paint pattern on a garage door). I even have a sign on my garage door mentioning EV charger installed (I'm in a charger dead zone) and am listed on Plug Share. As a board member I had a talk with myself the homeowner about the sign and decided to let myself keep it. :-D

According to this article this is not correct.
The "entry-level" Model X is the 70D which sells for $80,000 plus a $1,200 doc and destination fee. The Model X 70D features a 70 kWh battery pack which gives it about 220 miles of range with a full charge. This base model comes with those sexy Falcon Wing Doors, advanced navigation, free access to the growing network of high powered Tesla Super Chargers, all the hardware and sensors you'll need to take advange of Tesla's Auto Pilot functionality (the software to enable that costs extra), the huge panoramic front windshield, and many other goodies.

If you don't like your HOA, you have 2 real simple fixes...
1) move or only buy in non-HOA areas (HOA do have an upside).
2) Like me, JOIN the HOA board and change things on the inside. In 8 years I've only declined 2 requests (a fence in the front yard and a checkered board paint pattern on a garage door). I even have a sign on my garage door mentioning EV charger installed (I'm in a charger dead zone) and am listed on Plug Share. As a board member I had a talk with myself the homeowner about the sign and decided to let myself keep it. :-D

I joined my HOA specifically to lobby to allow charging. Their response was "Wow! What a great idea! That's awesome! But no." One board member can't change an HOA that is dead set on allowing any modifications to the exterior of the building or the parking lot. One guy actually asked "Then we'd have to allow people to put in a gas station." Seriously, he actually said that.

• Funny
Reactions: Shaggy and GSP

I am a person who has to park on the street everyday and I am not even hesitating on ordering a Model ≡. Lucky for me I have 2 superchargers within 5-10 minutes of me and most of my local public garages have some sort of EV charging stations. I am also assuming living in close proximity to NYC that by the time i receive my car there will be many more locations in my are. But for now i will just be charging whenever i can.

My house doesn't have a garage/car port, so I'll be charging outside. My wife and I are discussing if we should get a J1772 charging station instead of a HPWC as the J1772 unit would be more compatible with other EV's should we sell the house.

My house doesn't have a garage/car port, so I'll be charging outside. My wife and I are discussing if we should get a J1772 charging station instead of a HPWC as the J1772 unit would be more compatible with other EV's should we sell the house.
I have a driveway and i fully plan to install a HPWC or a 240v just depends on what available for the Model 3.

Yeah. The next question is against the house or on a post in the driveway, lol.

Against the house for me. I've seen some nice lock box installs.. Add my driveway is located on the side with my Electrical Panel (literally maybe 2 feet from the inner wall its mounted on to the outside and we upgraded it with a licensed electrician to 200amp service a couple years back.

I have spent a ton $$ on charging infrastructure. First, I installed a J1772 charging station for Nissan Leaf in garage using old unused electric stove wiring. That cost next to nothing. Then, I decided on a Tesla - about the same time we got a hot tub... both of these requiring a new heavy line run to opposite side of the house, and a new panel in the garage - all that cost $5200. Then before I got the Tesla, another house came on the market I had been trying to get for about 15 years and we moved - now I am spending another $5200 to get circuits put in the new house. In this case, a main panel upgrade and again wiring clear from one side of the house to the other. So I am into it about 10 grand now. By golly that Tesla ought to be satisfied in my garage when I get it in May!

On the HOA question - this will take a long time to sort out, and some properties may never "get it." You need to look to destination charging at work.