Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your charging situation for the Model 3?

What is your Model 3 charging situation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Quick intro--I'm a relative newcomer, having only posted once or twice before. Although I've been rooting for Tesla to succeed, I never thought they'd get this far. For me, the Model S/X were kind of a pipe drum Now, the Model 3 might actually happen, which suddenly means I have to think seriously about buying one.

Part of my dilemma is whether I want to pony up the money for a new car, when I've always bought good used cars at a discount, after others have eaten the depreciation. Unfortunately for me, Tesla will not be manufacturing used cars. The other dilemma is much more concrete: I live in an urban, multi-unit condo building. My situation is almost ideal for EVs with 200 miles--short commutes, cross-town errands, the occasional jaunt around the greater Bay Area, and almost no cross-country driving.

^^^Arrrrgh, sorry. I somehow posted my original post without being finished. Mods, can't we delete/edit after posting? :(

Anyway, to continue the original post, how many others are in my situation? I realize this thread might be considered more appropriate to a general Tesla discussion, but I figured it'd be more applicable to the Model 3, since Model S/X owners are likely to skew more wealthy, and therefore be more likely to already own their own homes/garages. As the Model 3 is targeted more down-market, it's more likely to start attracting urban condo dwellers like myself. I suspect the same can be said for much of the emerging EV market.

Long story short, if I do decide to pursue the Model 3, I'm going to have to get my HOA to re-wire the building's garage...if it's even feasible. And no matter how much I like EVs or Teslas, I consider the lack of carport charging a deal-breaker.

I miss one alternative (which apply to me):
"I own my own garage/carport, which I can (easily) have wired up, but my Model 3 will not live there. It will live on an outdoor parking spot which I can (if not easily) have wired up"
... or at least:
"The car will have an outdoor parking which can be wired up" - or something....

Reactions: diamond.g
As soon as I get into email that my car is on the way my next move is to call an electrician to get a 240 V plug installed in the garage (currently only have a regular outlet)

Just a heads up that I think there's a 30% EVSE federal tax credit if you're in the US, but it has to be renewed each year. It's available for 2016, so my plan is to see if it gets renewed, and if not, install by the end of the year.

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla
I miss one alternative (which apply to me):
"I own my own garage/carport, which I can (easily) have wired up, but my Model 3 will not live there. It will live on an outdoor parking spot which I can (if not easily) have wired up"
... or at least:
"The car will have an outdoor parking which can be wired up" - or something....

Similar option would apply to me. Own home, but car will be parked and charged outside.

My HOA told me I couldn't make any permanent modifications to the exterior of the building. The lady in charge of the management company laughed and said "why don't you just throw an extension cord out the window and charge that way?" So that's how I charge my Leaf. So far they haven't said anything. I'm thinking of having a Tesla wall charger installed in my bedroom since that's the only room facing the parking lot. I'm not sure if that's to code but it would work for me.

Hey all,

Quick intro--I'm a relative newcomer, having only posted once or twice before. Although I've been rooting for Tesla to succeed, I never thought they'd get this far. For me, the Model S/X were kind of a pipe drum Now, the Model 3 might actually happen, which suddenly means I have to think seriously about buying one.

Part of my dilemma is whether I want to pony up the money for a new car, when I've always bought good used cars at a discount, after others have eaten the depreciation. Unfortunately for me, Tesla will not be manufacturing used cars. The other dilemma is much more concrete: I live in an urban, multi-unit condo building. My situation is almost ideal for EVs with 200 miles--short commutes, cross-town errands, the occasional jaunt around the greater Bay Area, and almost no cross-country driving.

As we own a home and have a carport, I'll be installing an EVSE in it. There is still a tax credit of up to $1000 for the purchase of alternative fuel infrastructure, valid through December 31, 2016 (U.S. DoE Alternative Fuels Data Center). So, after I place my deposit on a Model 3, I'll purchase and install an EVSE at home. My wife, who parks there, already told me that we will switch spots. She will park in the swale or behind me.

I live in an apartment with car ports.

I have no idea how expensive or feasible it will be to get an outlet prepped at my car port. I haven't even contacted the land lord about that yet, so I don't know if they'll laugh in my face or accommodate me.

I may end up just charging at work. I've seen some Volts plugged in around the parking lot, so that's kind of my back up.

My plan C is a public charging station about 2 miles from my apartment. That would truly be an inconvenience (imagine if your car could only be recharged at specific locations miles from your residence... oh wait). But it may just be worth it.

Just a heads up that I think there's a 30% EVSE federal tax credit if you're in the US, but it has to be renewed each year. It's available for 2016, so my plan is to see if it gets renewed, and if not, install by the end of the year.
Just a heads up, you shouldn't count on this.

If you're claiming the $7,500 credit, then your chances of claiming the 30% are slim to none. I think you need to make more than $600k in order to claim it. It's something to do with the AMT limits, member cpa explained it elsewhere.

Now, if you're not claiming the $7,500, then it's a different story.

Just a heads up, you shouldn't count on this.

If you're claiming the $7,500 credit, then your chances of claiming the 30% are slim to none. I think you need to make more than $600k in order to claim it. It's something to do with the AMT limits, member cpa explained it elsewhere.

Now, if you're not claiming the $7,500, then it's a different story.

This is correct. The EVSE install credit is subject to the AMT. So if you hit the AMT at all, you won't be eligible. I was able to claim the full 7500 EV credit, but I wasn't able to take the EVSE one since I hit the AMT every year.

As far as charging goes, I already have a Level 2 charger installed in my garage that I am currently using to charge my Volt. However, depending on when the Model 3 releases, we might be in the midst of a relocation that will involve temporary housing in an apartment which will most likely require me to rely on the public charger network for like 6 months. Not looking forward to that, but it will only be temporary.