Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Is Your Line Of Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where is the best place to ask this. But im dying to know.

For those of you buying the Model X', or already owning one:

1) what is your line of work?
2) do you put any money down / pay cash?

I've been working 90 hours a week for the last several years. I have a "9-5 career" where I am salaried (senior software engineer) and have a business on the side that I've been growing where we do websites and mobile apps (a few part timers, a fulltimer and myself).

I'm wondering what line of work you're all in and how long you've been in it to be able to afford the Model X. And if you have any suggestions or tips to off. I'm absolutely a huge fan of Tesla, its mission, and Elon Musk.

Haha. Does the Tesla Semi seem like a viable option to you? The debut presentation certainly made it look like a no-brainer to an outsider, but I think we're all seinking the Tesla Koolaid pretty hard. Well... At least I am. Haha. (I feel like for good reason though)
I’m a fleet manager at a trucking company and we will be buying 2 trucks for local use.
Definitely not viable for long haul

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Not sure where is the best place to ask this. But im dying to know.

For those of you buying the Model X', or already owning one:

1) what is your line of work?
2) do you put any money down / pay cash?

I've been working 90 hours a week for the last several years. I have a "9-5 career" where I am salaried (senior software engineer) and have a business on the side that I've been growing where we do websites and mobile apps (a few part timers, a fulltimer and myself).

I'm wondering what line of work you're all in and how long you've been in it to be able to afford the Model X. And if you have any suggestions or tips to off. I'm absolutely a huge fan of Tesla, its mission, and Elon Musk.

1. I am a retired Network Engineer (Cisco)
2. I have no income, so I could I could not afford a car payment. Therefore I paid cash.

• Funny
Reactions: mrau and ReddykwRun
Oh. My. God. If that’s what it takes to buy an X, I’ll stick with the damn Odyssey!
Lol. Well I absolutely enjoy what I do. And I'm just taking advantage of the opportunities that I've had put in front of me. I'm sure there are many other people in here that don't have to work nearly as many hours and just make more money.

I have a friend in finance/stock market that barely works 40 hours and made 7 figures last year. But I wouldn't want his job and would rather figure out my own path doing what i love.

Reactions: SumaPerformance
1. I am a retired Network Engineer (Cisco)
2. I have no income, so I could I could not afford a car payment. Therefore I paid cash.

That sounds like a good way to retire to me. Do you have a 75 or 100 with the new hardware so you can take advantage of all the upcoming robotaxi and self drive features? I firmly believe that that will eventually become a thing I just have no idea when. Elon is good at hitting his goals just not on his projected timelines

I'm a statistician/analyst making and monitoring predictive statistical models in the banking sector and implement them in everything from production application systems to IFRS9 accounting models. The new kids on the block call this machine learning/AI :)

Reactions: Steversio
Widebody international and domestic airline pilot. The bad news is I’m not home as much as I want to drive my car. The good news is my mileage stays extremely low, typically less than 500 miles a month. I’ve had my X for a day, and love it so far. Got about 12 hours with it, then hadn’t to fly across the country!

I am a Dentist with over 20 yrs experience. My moto is never the first and certainly not the last to try new technology that makes sense.

I’ve been looking at getting a fully electric car since Tesla came on the scene but my 12 year old hybrid Lexus (GS450H) suited my needs perfectly (fuel efficient, smooth and quiet ride, luxurious comfort), and is still in mint condition.

When my dad was in urgent need of a replacement for his car, it took me 2 hours to decide on the Tesla Model X as I was happy it was a “green” car. I wanted to support the EV car industry, I wanted a 7 seater, I preferred the Vegan leather over real leather, I liked the technology, the car shape and design ... it makes you feel part of the future .... and my 7 year old wanted it so much.

The car was paid from the savings in the home loan.

Last edited:
Yes!!! Right up my alley. Then I'm glad I'm in the right track. When did you get into ML/ai and was it self taught or through academia?

Edit: I love your mindset. You're going to stay young forever!

Learned it mostly on my own. Educationally I have undergraduates degrees in Physics and Geology. I was going to work for oil companies, but computer saved me from being on a rig in the Gulf. So my graduate degree is Comp Sci and I got employed by a number of large companies over the years.

I have been studying ML/AI for a long time and constantly look to upgrade my skills and create new models and applications. It is really as much art as it is science and mathematics.

We own a consulting and training firm and the car is a business asset.