Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of Wh/mi are you guys getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you noticed from both pictures above you consume 40 miles more then actual distance, and I believe that’s because there are some long uphills you have to deal with but then there are those down hills where you sit there and don’t use any batteries, give yourself some of that extra room when you do a long distance travel. If you are primarily on a flat road then you might come out even.

Fred
What app is that?

Thanks for posting that, it makes me feel much better about owning the 3 instead of the Y:
D61B02CA-1FA3-4E8B-824C-1666BE2B8776_1_105_c.jpeg

I was looking for the most efficient car out there to replace my Honda Insight. My lifetime average is 249 wh/mi and I often see many trips in the 229 range, it's the heat and AC that ups the average.

Gotta say, it's pretty tough to beat the AC compared to trying to just use outside air. I played that game for a long time trying to turn off the AC like I did in my old ICE cars. Setting the temp to LO and modulating the fan is a pain in the butt and after the car is cool or if the outside air is cool the compressor turns off anyway. I thought I would be able to save energy, but it just really isn't that much.

Although I do use the Vent setting under Controls and then lower the windows when I get in the car and leave the AC off if I am not getting on the highway.

Very nice stats Randy. Very efficient and I’m glad you reminded me about my above stats, we did use the A/C mid way between San Diego and Yermo. The closer we got to Yermo, temps were already in the 90’s so real time experience. No cutting corners. A/C had to be on, (happy wife thing) LoL

Fred

I have about 1500 miles on my MY AWD LR and have been getting ~270 wh/mi. Some "since last charge" trips I average closer to ~260 wh/mi. It's been in the 90's F here the whole time so the A/C has been running. If you averaging over 300 wh/mi than you are having more fun than I am, which is hard to believe!

I have about 1500 miles on my MY AWD LR and have been getting ~270 wh/mi. Some "since last charge" trips I average closer to ~260 wh/mi. It's been in the 90's F here the whole time so the A/C has been running. If you averaging over 300 wh/mi than you are having more fun than I am, which is hard to believe!

Only a few hundred miles but I'm also seeing about 250-260 wh/mi. 90 plus degrees here too.

I think the EPA tests should be re-evaluated for EVs and perhaps ICE vehicles to reflect more realistic driving conditions. These inflated efficiency ratings just help the car manufacturers score bragging points, and comply with government minimum mpg(e) standards. They only help the consumer if the customer is aware of the test standards and adjusts their expectations accordingly.

I think the EPA tests should be re-evaluated for EVs and perhaps ICE vehicles to reflect more realistic driving conditions. These inflated efficiency ratings just help the car manufacturers score bragging points, and comply with government minimum mpg(e) standards. They only help the consumer if the customer is aware of the test standards and adjusts their expectations accordingly.

Write your Congress person. It’s going to require a change in the law and as you pointed out it’s the vehicle companies that want it to stay put because it’s easier to leave it there and more profitable.

Im averaging 315 in my LR with 20” wheels. It’s been mid 90s and I’ve been going not so easy on the accelerator! Have 200 miles on it and most of them are going 65-75 mph.
I’m thinking my average is fine for what I’ve been doing. Once the fun of acceleration wears off I’m thinking it will get better, and when it’s not 95 degrees

Reactions: Matsayz
We've had our LR w/ 20" 3 weeks, average is 312 watt/mi and we're not really pushing it much. We do live on a hill, and certainly that doesn't help. Even excluding the hill to our home, we are seeing high 200's watt/mi.
As far as range, have ready many posts and articles (and fleet data off 3rd party apps) and the reality is that only in very optimal conditions can this vehicle get 300+ miles...316 is not going to happen in normal conditions (65-70 mph with A/C on, you know, typical road trip). Looks like 250-275 miles on a typical road trip is probably as good as it'll get (esp w/o getting to low single digit % remaining at end). This 250-275 is consistent with the UK ratings per the earlier post (good stuff, thanks for sharing that). I was blown away to read the EPA highway test is done at average speed of 48 MPH with max 60 (and no A/C)...that's not reality for most highway driving...and very misleading.

EPA ratings totally misrepresent the range the true range to consumers. Buyers need to be aware. I wasn't. But it's still a great car.

Reactions: secondclaw
There is a big difference for someone like me that would charge on 120V20A circuits (effective charging rate of 16A for code)...

While i only drive 20 miles a day for work, it’s the difference of about 500 Watts per hour with 20A. That’s going to add up over a night of charging (12 hours would give an extra 6 kW of energy)...

So there is a big difference to be if the car typically rides with 3 miles vs 4 miles per kW.

tldr

Is a 250 watt per mile reasonable or unlikely? Is 300 or 333 more “expected”?

Last edited:
After about 700 miles I have a lifetime average of about 320, a big portion of that is 70+mph highway driving with AC on. I've been keeping track of my daily commute averages, which is a lot less highway, and about 20 miles each way. I've averaged about 280 so far for that, with my acceleration being a little aggressive.

Reactions: Pilot1226
850 miles so far (LR AWD, 19" w/o covers) and I'm at 306 wh/mi. I've had too many people out for 'test drives' so yeah, a little on the aggressive side.