Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Model X features will the S get? Huge HEPA filter? Auto open/close doors? Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the S has side sensors in that they claim it has "360 degrees of ultrasonic sensor." Not that in-the-door sensor, but it does already detect the side. The big question is how integral is the new door sensor to this new collision avoidance. Either way, not a huge difference. But it would be a nice incremental sensor on the S if it's used for more than door height.

The discussion of those sensors was completely in the context of door height sensing. However, that doesn't preclude multiple uses.

The whole MX reveal was underwhelming to me, not to mention the 45 minutes delay. Not interested in the HEPA filter, auto open front doors. Hitch is not usable for me, and I consider it to be a hazard to others. I think, MS sale will not suffer from the MX reveal, and sale of MS will pick-up once more after the fence sitter decided on which way to go. If I do not need 6 seater, I would stay with MS.

The blind-spot sensors seem to be sensitive to rain. Yesterday, I got intermittent warnings (gray lines) and even an alert (double red lines) when it was raining, but no other cars were in the area.

I hope we don't wind up with active side-collision avoidance of raindrops or a wet sensor.

You sure it's a widespread problem?

It was pouring here yesterday, I don't pay too much attention to the gray lines, but I didn't get any red lines. Actually I've never had any red lines due to rain (due to other things, yes).

True, seems like just activated from the rear/side sensor. The kicker is, did you see how slow it was? Elon had to pause, wait a brief moment, and then slide in as fast as possible before fully open to make it seems like you had to sit and wait. No one is going to use that realistically - it'll be one of the most turned OFF features.

It's not totally useless. I am assuming when it starts opening, you can just manually pull it all the way out saving you a second or two of reaching to the handles and pulling. You don't have to wait for it to open fully.

And equally important to Tesla: it's a cool feature that helps them with sales. Like the auto-presenting door handles that gets a lot of ooohs and aahs whenever someone checks out my car.

Well, the S has side sensors in that they claim it has "360 degrees of ultrasonic sensor." Not that in-the-door sensor, but it does already detect the side. The big question is how integral is the new door sensor to this new collision avoidance. Either way, not a huge difference. But it would be a nice incremental sensor on the S if it's used for more than door height.

Ultrasonic distance sensing through metal is pretty amazing. The metal would attenuate much of the sound going out of the door and then again when it's reflected back in. I imagine this method would only be good for very, very small distances (on the order of centimeters), so my money is on these sensors not being involved in collision avoidance. But they're still pretty dang cool.

I don't see any reason that the Model S shouldn't eventually get the auto open/close doors and HEPA filter. Not so sure about the trailer hitch though since the car wasn't designed for one and it would likely impact range. Although I'd love to have a trailer hitch for the MS, I can see them arguing that it's more of an SUV type thing and leave it exclusive to the X. The auto doors and HEPA filter would be nice and I'd order them if they were an option when I purchased, but certainly nothing to make me regret waiting. If the Model X was available today, I may have some regret about not waiting since I do like being higher up in a vehicle, I like the added room, the overall look of the vehicle, the falcon wing doors, trailer hitch, the huge front windshield, etc. However, knowing that the wait is going to be 8-12 months for new orders (and based on how Tesla's been going, I'd be betting on 12 months+), I don't regret purchasing the MS and will continue to love it until it's time to trade in the lease!

Now, come on lane keeping!!

Ultrasonic distance sensing through metal is pretty amazing. The metal would attenuate much of the sound going out of the door and then again when it's reflected back in. I imagine this method would only be good for very, very small distances (on the order of centimeters), so my money is on these sensors not being involved in collision avoidance. But they're still pretty dang cool.

This is exactly what I was thinking, too. And I think the fact that the regular "puck" sensors are still present on the front and rear bumpers on the MX pretty resoundingly support this theory. I can't imagine they would still have the visible puck sensors if ones that worked through metal (or plastic) could be made to function well enough for AP, especially since Elon specifically mentioned the aesthetics of the pucks as the reason why they developed this new sensor in the first place.

Completely agree. Without knowing the technical specs, I didn't want to be closed-minded because their may be limited additional data being fed to Autopilot. I don't think it's likely, but it's not impossible.

In another thread, I also speculated that an ultrasonic through metal would likely not have the range or field of view needed to truly help Autopilot. Especially when the 1.0 hardware sensors already have 360 ultrasonic coverage. For a slow moving door against a stationary ceiling, this new in-door sensor is fine. But detecting a moving object from 5+ feet away at high speeds seems very unlikely. If I had to bet, it's a specialty sensor for door height with no relation to Autopilot.

I think people are just clinging onto an "Autopilot 2.0" reveal even though the launch is over. The "side collision avoidance" and "door sensor" confused matters because most people don't know "side collision avoidance" is also coming to 7.0 on the S with the original hardware.

I'm thinking they have to give the MS LED headlights now.

2e8d30d5ca99461ba8c78ed3495ef73a.jpg

7fdb15386d1cab6e6b7378cbfede1afe.jpg

I can't imagine they would still have the visible puck sensors if ones that worked through metal (or plastic) could be made to function well enough for AP, especially since Elon specifically mentioned the aesthetics of the pucks as the reason why they developed this new sensor in the first place.

I can imagine other possible reasons:
1. Cost of new sensors.
2. Power consumption required to penetrate through metal.
3. Accident replacement. Bumpers are common areas to be hit. Easier to replace external ones.
4. Aesthetics are not bad low on the bumper. Middle of the passenger's door = really bad.

I thought the auto open/close doors were cool, but it seems like a novelty. Would you really want them to open every time? How does it know when to use the feature or not? How can it tell the difference between walking past the car in the garage and walking toward it? What if you walk toward the car from the front? Won't the opening door essentially "block" you (especially in a parking spot or smaller garage)? Will it only work in certain situations, like a diagonal walk from behind the car? If so, isn't that annoying to be inconsistent?

Even now I am a little bit bothered when the handles pop in and out as I take out the trash or whatever.