Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What on earth is Tesla doing with versionings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is since they started offering FSD trials with referrals and new car purchases, they needed to give access to beta for all these new cars with FSD. Also probably with all the calls and complaints of people subscribing to FSD but not getting beta for weeks/months.

So they’re now including older (more stable?) FSD code with the main branch software. And the original FSD beta testers that have been in it for a while are on the latest FSD beta version (but older car software).

My guess is since they started offering FSD trials with referrals and new car purchases, they needed to give access to beta for all these new cars with FSD. Also probably with all the calls and complaints of people subscribing to FSD but not getting beta for weeks/months.

So they’re now including older (more stable?) FSD code with the main branch software. And the original FSD beta testers that have been in it for a while are on the latest FSD beta version (but older car software).
...but FSD Beta 11.3.6 will ONLY work on a new Model 3 (HW3). All the others (Y, S & X) have HW4 now and can't use FSD Beta 11.3.6.

Reactions: E90alex
Another theory is that there over one million vehicles out there that could be subscribing to FSD, and they wanted to give them an opportunity to use the most recent version that they had confidence in.
That's the prevailing theory.

11.4.X, whether they moved away from map data in favor of GPS+ Vision or whatever the case, is much more susceptible to unsafe procedures.

They may want to keep this away from new testers, due to the previous NHTSA recall, which are generated by owner complaints, while it's being honed.

That's a lot of speculation. All that we do know is that Tesla is unwilling to allow 11.4 to new testers for the time being. There are a handful of HW4 cars and most of the testing fleet on this version. Many would rather be on 11.3.6.

You could say that 11.3.6 is the general/known to be more stable release version of FSD Beta and 11.4.x is the pre general release in testing version of FSD Beta and once a more stable version (maybe 11.4.5) is determined it will be released to everyone and the "original" Beta testers will move on to 11.5.x to test.

But who the hell knows what Tesla will do next. I sure hope that at least move us up to a more current (or better yet) the current software release. As is I would trade 11.4.4 for 23.20.8 but as of now we are "stuck" on older software with a FSD Beta version offered on new software.

Reactions: beachmiles
It’s amazing if you paid for FSD and you are on 11.4 and if want to downgrade you cant
But that predicament and having to accept must have been buried in the FSD beta agreement

Once you accepted, put you on a train fastest to what Elon is saying v12 will be the true FSD release

It’s amazing if you paid for FSD and you are on 11.4 and if want to downgrade you cant
But that predicament and having to accept must have been buried in the FSD beta agreement

Once you accepted, put you on a train fastest to what Elon is saying v12 will be the true FSD release
Actually people who subscribe to FSD CAN by suspending their subscriptions for a month. It is us who bought and paid for FSD that are stuck. More Tesla irony.

The FSD Beta testers are stuck on an older main branch, 2023.7 - but have latest beta (11.4.4) - meanwhile there’s some 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 hard pushes recently across the fleet that contain beta 11.3.6 but have latest main fixes/improvements. What on earth is Tesla doing here? Are we ever going to get a merged build instead of this separate junk? At this point I will gladly take the “downgrade” to 11.3.6 if I had access to latest features - but there’s no way to get out of the beta, apparently. I’ve emailed the beta email and never heard back. I’ve tried going through support and they say they can’t help with beta issues. Just a mess.
Email here fsDBeta <[email protected]> with your VIN and tell them you want out then receive the latest fixes when they take it down

The FSD Beta testers are stuck on an older main branch, 2023.7 - but have latest beta (11.4.4) - meanwhile there’s some 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 hard pushes recently across the fleet that contain beta 11.3.6 but have latest main fixes/improvements. What on earth is Tesla doing here? Are we ever going to get a merged build instead of this separate junk? At this point I will gladly take the “downgrade” to 11.3.6 if I had access to latest features - but there’s no way to get out of the beta, apparently. I’ve emailed the beta email and never heard back. I’ve tried going through support and they say they can’t help with beta issues. Just a mess.
If you care more about FSDb than...idk...some minor upgrade to Spotify or whatever, then it seem prudent to stay on the betabuild. I personally feel that the best aspect of the car is the FSD software stack, so I would want to stay "enrolled" in beta for as long as possible.

Reactions: APotatoGod