Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What on earth is Tesla doing with versionings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad, rhe youtube posts including the one of 11.4.6/7 looked great
I have a quarter mile stretch that 11.4.6 consistently fails on for me. It's on my drive home, getting off the highway. It's about 50% odds that it'll turn right on red. 100% of the time, though, once it turns it lane changes into the left lane when my next turn requires me to be in the right lane in about 0.2-0.3 miles. The car lane changes back just in time to make the turn, but if someone is in the lane behind me, that doesn't make it "easy" to get back over. Managed to capture it on video (attached).

I've also had plenty of spots where it phantom brakes on me - in town when traffic tends to be more congested. Still haven't pulled the videos from the camera, but 11.4 has been horrible for me.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
It's about 50% odds that it'll turn right on red. 100% of the time, though, once it turns it lane changes into the left lane when my next turn requires me to be in the right lane in about 0.2-0.3 miles
My guess is that Right Turn on Red is map based and not actually reading the signs. I have both attempts to turn when restricted and NOT even trying at all.

If that theory is true both of your situations are actually mapping issues, at least until FSD actually reads the signs. I'm in Ohio which may be similar to you - and I'm taking an intersection where the lanes we redesigned and FSD fails to drive based on very clear markings. This was done over 6 months ago. It strongly suggests lane position is map based. Discussed a bit more here.

Either way, it's another bug that needs fixing.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Think for everyone
As compelling as FSD is, when using be as diligent as with your own child first time driver
Watch everything and be ready to jump into action

Going from just AP to FSD was a big eye opener
Glad I did and glad I know what to expect
I have no regrets for paying
I will keep using now that I am better prepared

My guess is that Right Turn on Red is map based and not actually reading the signs. I have both attempts to turn when restricted and NOT even trying at all.

If that theory is true both of your situations are actually mapping issues, at least until FSD actually reads the signs. I'm in Ohio which may be similar to you - and I'm taking an intersection where the lanes we redesigned and FSD fails to drive based on very clear markings. This was done over 6 months ago. It strongly suggests lane position is map based. Discussed a bit more here.

That's why I think FSD is pretty much a parlor trick right now, and it's pretty damned cool when it works. A lot of the people saying "oh, it's great and almost level 5" don't seem to realize that it's just abysmal if you're not in an area that has good map data. And most of the prominent of those people get their releases earlier so that they can publish it on YouTube. It's not as bad as Dan O'Dowd or others like him says, but FSD still has a lot more improvement to go. The technology needs to work practically everywhere and not just in the "good mapped" areas; otherwise, it's no better than Waymo or other walled garden self-driving vehicles.

Reactions: KArnold
I have a quarter mile stretch that 11.4.6 consistently fails on for me. It's on my drive home, getting off the highway. It's about 50% odds that it'll turn right on red. 100% of the time, though, once it turns it lane changes into the left lane when my next turn requires me to be in the right lane in about 0.2-0.3 miles. The car lane changes back just in time to make the turn, but if someone is in the lane behind me, that doesn't make it "easy" to get back over. Managed to capture it on video (attached).

I've also had plenty of spots where it phantom brakes on me - in town when traffic tends to be more congested. Still haven't pulled the videos from the camera, but 11.4 has been horrible for me.

How is it someone has 11.4.6 and it does not show up on Teslafi Firmware page

How is it someone has 11.4.6 and it does not show up on Teslafi Firmware page
Are you talking about this (see pic)? If it is because 11.4.x is on much older software version 11.7.x.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 1.12.30 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Are you talking about this (see pic)? If it is because 11.4.x is on much older software version 11.7.x.

View attachment 964545
No, 11.4.4 superseded 11.3.6 but for some inexplicable reason they keep adding features to an older FSD verson and 11.4.x has disappeared. I've seen 2 youtube videos where a guy demonstrates 11.4.6 and he is awaiting 11.4.7 and he raves about it. One problem. He doesn't run into much traffic

You can't rely on maps. If he's using vision and and AI (what we humans already have) then regardless of the mapping if I can read the no right on red so can FSD

Last edited:
No, 11.4.4 superseded 11.3.6 but for some inexplicable reason they keep adding features to an older FSD verson and 11.4.x has disappeared. I've seen 2 youtube videos where a guy demonstrates 11.4.6 and he is awaiting 11.4.7 and he raves about it. One problem. He doesn't run into much traffic
Again 11.4.x is in software 23.7.x and that is an older branch that no longer shows up on the TeslaFi page . 23.12.400 is the oldest branch now since they only show the 10 latest software branches.

Here is a pic I took when I got 11.4.2.

IMG_3009.jpeg