Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What on earth is Tesla doing with versionings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
L2 is not autonomy and we have L2 now. Autonomy is L3-L5.

EDIT: Just to add Elon latest saying was getting to L4 or L5. If we get L3 I'll be ticked pink surprised and one happy camper. L5 is 100% not a chance in hell of that happening.

View attachment 964827

L3 is already part of FSD IMO (ie if Tesla desided to enable "traffic jam chauffeur") there is no reason current FSD can not handle that at L3 level.

Bunch of Autos have already released similar and dont think they are any better than current FSD under these conditions.

Tesla is stuck in the "release FSD L4/5 or bust mode"...think they would be better served to start releasing hands off L3 driving in certain conditions. This would mean FSD owners would finally start getting hands off features in certain conditions (and heavy traffic is the low hanging fruit to pick). Not sure why they wont do it at this point...

Sounds like Tesla just does not want to assume liability yet, since L3 is not prohibited by regulations...

L3 is already part of FSD IMO (ie if Tesla desided to enable "traffic jam chauffeur") there is no reason current FSD can not handle that at L3 level.
It's not, though.

There are plenty of reasons, but the primary are that Tesla doesn't have the confidence and doesn't want to assume liability. And before someone states, "accepting liability isn't a requirement", even if the company doesn't prior it an incident, they would lose in court afterwards.

Reactions: JulienW
Not true at all. Microsoft is working on Windows 12, but they aren't stopping updates to Windows 11.
Windows 12 is not a rewrite of Windows 11. Any work done on Windows 11 will go into Windows 12. When you do a rewrite, it's like creating a new product. The old stuff is discarded as quickly as possible. Only important bug fixes would go out.

I don't believe that FSDb 12 is a complete rewrite, so some stuff will carry over from FSDb 11, and they can continue to work on that. In contrast, I seriously doubt that anyone is putting much time into the control software because that's being tossed.