TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What order do they build cars?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ColinA, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ColinA

ColinA Member

Someone else I know ordered their car a few days after mine (VIN ending in 555). Mine has a VIN ending in 588. Not sure why mine is numbered after his given I ordered earlier? His car went into production a few days ago, whereas mine is still "in the production queue". We are both in Australia, his is a 70D, mine is an 85D. The only other spec difference is I ordered Next Gen seats, everything else the same, even the color. Does anyone know how this works?

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I don't think anyone knows. It's possible the seats are the holdup on yours.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

We know that cars are built in batches, so depending upon what was configured, it will get built along with similar configurations. It's also known that the higher priced cars tend to get batched before the lower priced cars. We also know that they don't build them in strict VIN order.

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Except in this case where the lower priced 70D is being built before the higher priced 85D, so that theory doesn't always hold up.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I attribute this to "getting lucky". The 70D order came in when a batch of 70Ds was being built.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Cars are not built or completed in strict VIN order.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It is one of the great mysteries of Elon and the gang.

8. ottopilot

ottopilot Member

i had the ol' base model 70. confirmation to production in about 3 hours. total time from order to delivery 13 days. i just say i got lucky.

9. ColinA

ColinA Member

Nice!! We can only dream of that given there's the best part of a month on a ship getting it to Australia!

10. ottopilot

ottopilot Member

advantages of being within a half days drive of the factory ;-)