Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other cars did you consider when shopping for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered:
Chevy Volt (didn't fit, didn't like being so ICE-centric)
BMW i3 (no DCQC network killed this, great to drive though)
Kia Soul EV (partner has one, it's great but it's no Tesla)
Model 3 (didn't want to wait)

And that's it. Continuing with combustion was not an option for me personally. The other two vehicles I own are Zero SR and a dirt bike that I'm converting to electric.

MB S65
Quattroporte GTS
Bentley Continental GT
BMW 760Li

For 3 months I deeply regretted getting the MS. The overall quality of the materials/craftsmanship used are too low for what I wanted, and the road noise at parkway speeds was unbearable to me (yes, I know, I should have done a better job test driving it).

After Tesla soundproofed my car in February, and with new rims/tires, it became good. Very good actually.
It is still not the best car ever, nor the most technologically advanced by far. Debatable, that goes to the 2014-2017 MB S-Class for me.
But it is a great car and the only viable alternative on EVs.

I got it because it is gorgeous and is an EV. It was love at first site.
I kept it because the service people at the Tesla stores I dealt with are the best ever (Dania Beach and WPB).

the Acura TL is one of the world's most boring automobiles.
Hey that's my old dream car you're talking about.:D Isn't it more exciting than the other three? Obviously my car buying decisions aren't based on fun driving experiences. Eight years ago when I was last car shopping it was between a used Lexus ES or Acura TL. I bought the Lexus because I could get it a little cheaper. Then I was kicking myself for eight years for not getting the TL. Sometimes it's not worth it, to give up your dream, to save a couple thousand dollars. I think I was the only one driving one of these cars that wasn't an 80 year old woman. At least I'm not spoiled and can fully appreciate my MS. Now I'm pinching myself instead of kicking myself.

2004 ES 330 (my last car purchase back in 2009):eek:
2006_lexus_es-330_sedan_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Hey that's my old dream car you're talking about.:D Isn't it more exciting than the other three?

i dunno, i test drove one of them in 2006 and i found even the Chrysler 300 more fun (admittedly, the Chrysler was the 425hp SRT version)

but different people desire different things from automobiles. if you are looking for a quiet ride with a bit of luxury, i suppose a TL certainly meets those needs. :)

of course it doesn't remotely compare with the Tesla though!

I had no car in the US immediately prior to the S. I did not even have a domicile in the US. I rented cars, mostly MB or BMW from Sixt. Then the 85D showed up and I wanted one passionately. There was an inventory P85D otherwise identical to my order so I bought it. What to do? Where to keep it? I could not take it home to Rio de Janeiro.
My very indulgent spouse said "we could always buy a place in Coral Gables, which we like anyway". So we did. Now the S has a home and we have a reservation for a tesla for Rio de Janeiro since Tesla began to accept Brazilian Model 3 reservations.
Frankly I have loved lots of cars over the years. A Ferrari 308GT4 that I owned in London (license plate: DUL 8V), a Mazda R100, an NSU RO80 before that, the most fun of all was a Honda S800, Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3, Morgan +8, Jaguar XK8, assorted Audi, BMW, Alfa, Maserati, Fiat, Peugeot, Lancia etc mostly owned in Europe. All of those were special in one way or another. None engendered brand loyalty.

Now my P85D I have owned for two years. My spouse reminded me this morning that today is my anniversary and now I've had my Model S longer than any other car I've ever owned. I'll have it until my next Tesla arrives. Is it "the best car in the world"? I do not know, but for the first time in my life I don't even look closely at anything that is not a BEV. I have evaluated a BMW i8, which did not impress me, an evaluation supported when the owner of the car traded for a P85D the week after he drove mine, even though he does not like sedans.

Long winded: I considered no other cars once I discovered the P85D.

I was driving a 2008 Yukon XL which worked out great for a growing family. Now with the kids older it was time to look for a car "I" really wanted. The BMW 535i. Great car!
Checked it out, test drove, priced etc.......I did everything but put down a deposit. Then Tesla came out with the re-fresh and 60kwh battery (already reserved model 3) and I started looking more seriously at the Tesla. After a test drive I could not remember why I liked the 535i so much. ;) I am loving my Model S!

Looked at the same plus few more. wanted something exotic or unique. this is a difference driving experience
I agree. It will be quite difficult to get an ICE as daily driver again.
I am keeping my MS for two years.
By then others will come, and certainly Tesla may bring the interior of the MS to where I would like it to be.
Anyway, it will be quite fun to choose an EV by 2018/2019.
In the mean time, I am wrapping the interior with 6 or 7 Bentley saddle bull hides, upgrading audio, replacing front seats with BMW comfort or Audi A8, replace internal illumination, and new custom center console.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
I agree. It will be quite difficult to get an ICE as daily driver again.
I am keeping my MS for two years.
By then others will come, and certainly Tesla may bring the interior of the MS to where I would like it to be.
Anyway, it will be quite fun to choose an EV by 2018/2019.
In the mean time, I am wrapping the interior with 6 or 7 Bentley saddle bull hides, upgrading audio, replacing front seats with BMW comfort or Audi A8, replace internal illumination, and new custom center console.

I have ours coming with Premium interior so its all leather. I also have a leather company on the side so I can do anything I need on the side to take it to the next level. We ripped out 100% of the interior in our 2010 Camaro and added all Euro Nappa leather and Alcantara. So, will be doing a few items.

46 miles on the clock of our 2SS/Rs
171753_197728963586707_240100_o.jpg

After
171231_197728380253432_6559033_o.jpg

Reactions: JetKit
I considered keeping my 2015 M3, a new 2017 i3 range extender model, an GLE43 coupe SUV. I'm happy with my choice of a Model S. though the other cars were great options. Mercedes is a very difficult vehicle to find as they are limited production. If I didn't have a kid and dog I would have considered the Mercedes GT or Jaguar F-Type.

Seems to me if you're considering anything else, you just don't understand Tesla - or anything else for that matter - because there is nothing else to consider. Even when some (upcoming) real competition arrives, they still aren't generally viable unless one of those companies utterly transforms itself. Don't worry, this is partly in jest - only about 95% serious.

There's a couple of new EV comp
Seems to me if you're considering anything else, you just don't understand Tesla - or anything else for that matter - because there is nothing else to consider. Even when some (upcoming) real competition arrives, they still aren't generally viable unless one of those companies utterly transforms itself. Don't worry, this is partly in jest - only about 95% serious.
Lucid Air (EV luxury cars) & another EV company (web says "FF91") in California are both trying higher end interiors than what Tesla has, plus the new Volvo interior designer hire at Tesla might mean something. Also, Mercedes & Jaguar are saying they're trying to actually start doing regular EV luxury sedans someday. It's not necessarily going to always just be down to Tesla, especially with Tesla's luxury track record.

My wife was looking to replace her 06 Lexus IS350. She wanted something similar in size and performance but with more luxury type features. She looked at a bunch of cars that she liked the way they looked. Lexus IS,GS. Infiniti Q50, Q70. Mercedes C, E. Acura TLX, RLX. Audi A4,A6. Volvo S90 and of course the Model S. After extensive test drives she narrowed it down to the Audi's, Volvo and the Tesla. My choice would have been the Audi A4 ( it was just so much fun to drive and smaller like she originally wanted). She of course chose the Tesla and has been very happy with her choice so far. (2 months).

There's a couple of new EV comp

Lucid Air (EV luxury cars) & another EV company (web says "FF91") in California are both trying higher end interiors than what Tesla has, plus the new Volvo interior designer hire at Tesla might mean something. Also, Mercedes & Jaguar are saying they're trying to actually start doing regular EV luxury sedans someday. It's not necessarily going to always just be down to Tesla, especially with Tesla's luxury track record.
Great! How exciting will it be when people aren't deciding between electric or ICE, but between which no-compromise electric vehicle they want?