Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other cars did you consider when shopping for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considered another Dodge Viper. A lot like the Tesla. American, great performance, unusual (at least the Tesla was when I got it). I missed not being able to take both my daughters on a drive so went with the Tesla. Next car will be a Viper or old Ferrari. Miss having a track car and the Viper ACR is king of the track.
2016-Dodge-Viper-ACR-0.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Indpowr
5 years ago I sold my older M5 to lease a Volt for 3 years. Coming out of that I knew I wanted either a PHEV or a an EV, but it had to have more performance. Test drove the gen 2 Volt, BMW i3 rex, and Audi A3 e-tron. The Audi was the winner in terms of all things "drive" except...it had a paltry 16 miles of EV range. If it was at least 30 miles I would likely be driving it now...instead I am driving a CPO P85+. It's a pretty nice car, but I look forward to getting something smaller and lighter in the future...and am fine with a PHEV so long as it has enough pure EV range for local driving. Like everyone else, I'm interested to see how the Model 3 launch goes.

Reactions: JetKit and Indpowr
We buy things/cars based on what we like not based on the actions of the government. I never let others influence my families happiness. and if you look at my signature you can see gas isn't important decision maker.
The Tesla's not in your signature because it's your wife's? You should add that Ferrari California to your collection. It looks badass.

The Tesla's not in your signature because it's your wife's? You should add that Ferrari California to your collection. It looks badass.

Sorry but did you read my post? It states we have a P90D on order and set to pick it up 3-6. But, I am weighing out all options. The Ferrari does look bad ass no doubt. But, its a 2010 so they are not as reliable as the 13+ so not sure that's going to work out as much as I would like it too. But, if I sell the Vette or Camaro we will add an exotic at some point.

Sorry but did you read my post? It states we have a P90D on order and set to pick it up 3-6. But, I am weighing out all options. The Ferrari does look bad ass no doubt. But, its a 2010 so they are not as reliable as the 13+ so not sure that's going to work out as much as I would like it too. But, if I sell the Vette or Camaro we will add an exotic at some point.
I read this:
The car is primarily for my wife but, still around for me to enjoy whenever I feel like taking it out. She has a few cars to drive so I can be a tad impractical lol.

I offered her pretty much anything sub 100k. She likes sports cars yet likes the GT style. But, it has to be 4 seats. The Ferrari 360 Spyder was awesome price at 75k but, need back seats.

I offered her today a Ferrari California which she is considering haha. She is mad I offered it to her hahaha

We have a Tesla P90D that should be ready anytime now. And this has a full CPO warranty so thats a big plus.

Other cars we considered
i8
Maserati Ghibli (sis inlaw has one so she doesn't want to match) and I don't care for the

S class non amg
CLS but about to get a new body
Audi
Hate Porsche

What did you look for

Few pics of the California

We buy things/cars based on what we like not based on the actions of the government. I never let others influence my families happiness. and if you look at my signature you can see gas isn't important decision maker.
"We" buy things based on various criteria.
My wife has considered giving up her Model 3 reservation based on Musk's engagement with the current administration.
Women make the majority of new car buying decisions in the U.S.
Different strokes...
In 2012, when I reserved my Model S, I drove / considered, Audi A7,S7, Porsche 911, Panamera, BMW 5 series, Infiniti G37, Jag XJ.
These forays into the various high-end auto offerings helped me solidify my opinion that a Tesla was really something special.
I am still very happy with my decision.
My wife still has her Model 3 res. (patriot, planet / childrens' future enthusiast til the end)

"We" buy things based on various criteria.
My wife has considered giving up her Model 3 reservation based on Musk's engagement with the current administration.
Women make the majority of new car buying decisions in the U.S.
Different strokes...
In 2012, when I reserved my Model S, I drove / considered, Audi A7,S7, Porsche 911, Panamera, BMW 5 series, Infiniti G37, Jag XJ.
These forays into the various high-end auto offerings helped me solidify my opinion that a Tesla was really something special.
I am still very happy with my decision.
My wife still has her Model 3 res. (patriot, planet / childrens' future enthusiast til the end)

It's her DD which is why I want her to make the decision. I will help andare sure she sees all options since this is a pretty big purchase.

Plus I love modding which is very cost prohibitive on exotics

And
I hope Camaro never has an electric motor. some should always be gas to me. create a new line :)

I had no other considerations in lieu of a MS at the time I obtained ours. Being a car enthusiast the one thing that I find I complain about is, "What next??" There really aren't any other viable competitors to Tesla for the next little while... so what to do when that itch for another car starts up??

I have/had looked over the years at:

i3 <- Go-kart!
B-Class EV <- Powered by Tesla! Not enough range, however, man you can get them cheap now
Electric conversion <- Not enough range

If it were back to Hybrid or full ICE:

Fisker Karma aka: Karma Revero (woefully underpowered, but that body!)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio
Maserati Levante
i8 <- Doesn't seem too practical however
BMW ActiveHybrid 5
Aston Martin Rapide

I think that is everything? Always a long list and ever changing...!

Last edited:
Probably a Honda Accord Hybrid. I wanted an electric car, but my wife refused to let me buy anything she considered to be funny looking. In the electric car space that pretty much eliminates anything else. We had a few conversations about the BMW i3 not being THAT ugly, but she hated how it looked and I am not really a BMW guy anyways.

These threads always me make me smile because I know my car shopping list is going to be wildly different from others in this thread. It was either a Tesla or something sub-$40k for me.

We got ours in 2014 mostly for my wife, so we cross shopped it with the Accord, Acura MDX, CTS, and the 5-series. The MDX would have been the 2nd choice.
Looking for another one to replace my car, and I'm crosshopping it with the Ford Raptor, Alfa Guila, M4, 5-series, E-Class. We'll see what I end up with.

Ohh and the i8 and California aren't 4-seaters. Those back seats are too small for even little kids. The fake noise in the i8 was a big turn off to me.

• Funny
Continuing with combustion was not an option for me personally.

Same here. Drove a Leaf for 3 years and will never go back to ICE. I considered the Bolt, but the lack of a Supercharger Network killed the idea since our family wants to road trip more.

One thing I love it about Tesla is how it has brought together performance car people and EV-first people. The Model S is the first luxury car I've ever owned, but I bought it because it could go 270 miles and recharge quickly :)

In early 2016 I looked at:

BMW X3 and 328i Touring (neither the i3 or i8 made sense) - reliability issues of previously owned ones killed these considerations
Audi Allroad - good overall, tied for second in my evaluation but the VW/Audi dieselgate killed that
Mini Clubman - Ok, but not overly sold on it (although by far the best paint pallet of the bunch)
Volvo V60 Polestar - Conceptually good, absolutely fantastic seats, horrible rear seat, compromised trunk (V90 announced after decision)
Mercedes C and E class wagons - C was too small, smacked my head on door frame, E - for whatever reason left me cold
VW Sportwagen - OK, but nothing stellar, smacked head getting into rear seat although ingress/egress better than Volvo.

Reluctantly tried:
Infiniti XQ or Q something - couldn't remember the model and it was equally memorable driving it.
Volvo XC60 - great seats, again horrible rear and small trunk
Lexus IS and GS - nothing wrong per se, excellent reliability record, but again left me cold

Ford - was getting away from them (Ford Explorer Sport was garbage), GM - could not convince me to go into any of their dealerships, Chrysler - too many issues with their cars.

I was trying to find a good blend of performance, functionality, cargo capacity (with 2 kids in tow) but knew I wanted to get away from the SUV/crossover crowd a bit.

Got convinced to test drive a Model S just after a snowstorm in Toronto - that was what sold me on it. That and watching the kids laugh any time I boot it.