Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other cars did you consider when shopping for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only considered the Chevy Bolt. Was selling my 2011 Nissan Leaf (battery degradation was bad) and wanted another BEV but longer range (when you live in DFW area you kindof need some longer range to drive around the metroplex). Tesla was always my dream car and when I figured I could get a CPO for the price of a built Bolt it really was a no-brainer (plus the slower quick charging time meant I could never road trip with it - that kindof sealed the deal and I only started looking at used Model S's)

Reactions: Indpowr
Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe.

Seven seat vehicle with available Active Cruise Control.

How interesting that people consider high end and even exotic cars to be competitors. In my opinion, Model S does not measure up to the typical premium offering in this price/size class. It is a roomy family hatchback with some attractive features like autopilot. More like a modern SAAB 9000 equivalent with 7 seats.

How interesting that people consider high end and even exotic cars to be competitors. In my opinion, Model S does not measure up to the typical premium offering in this price/size class. It is a roomy family hatchback with some attractive features like autopilot. More like a modern SAAB 9000 equivalent with 7 seats.

Anything with 4 seats is competitive to us. we buy more on passion vs. need to have. Plus at 100k that opens up a lot of options.

I went from a Chevy Volt to a MS 85D. I went on a test drive and ordered as soon as I got back from the test drive. I've had my 85D for about a year now, and even though I really love the car, there are some things I don't, and I really wish I had actually driven other cars in the same price range before I spent so much money on it. This thread is a giving me a good list of cars to look at next :)

• Funny
Count me among the "non-performance car" guys.

Our last few cars were an AWD Volkswagen Passat, AWD Infiniti G35, and AWD Lexus RX330.

but I decided a few years ago that the Lexus would be our last ICE ever.

We were mainly considering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (that never came to the US), Chevy Volt, and BMW i3
as of late last year it became the Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, Chevy Volt, Chevy Bolt, or BMW i3 REX.
we would have added in the PHEVs from Volvo and BMW if they had more EV only range, but they didn't.

when my Lexus started wobbling we test drove the S, Volt and i3.
I hated the Falcon Wings and shape of the X.
and bought the S.

still have reservation for the Model 3 to replace the Infiniti.
When the time comes, we will mainly shop the Model 3, Model X, Chevy Volt, Chevy Bolt
and we might look at some of the smaller PHEV sedans as well.
but it'll probably be the Model 3.

This is interesting in terms of target market and cross shopping. In my experience, most sales people sell like-to-like. Ie. if you're shopping for a Lexus RX350, changes are you're cross shopping an Acura MDX or BMW X5. It's unlikely you're cross shopping a Dodge Dart.

This is probably the only car that gets such a wide range. It can go toe to toe with a like sedan, suv, EV/economy cars, sports cars.

For us, it was down to a Jaguar XF Diesel vs Tesla Model S.
We also took brief looks and did cost comparisons against a Hyundai Genesis, Lexus GS350 AWD, and an Acura TLX. (MS had the lowest total cost of ownership of all of those)

• Informative
Reactions: JRMW and Indpowr
Wanted a biggish quick car, and the "free unlimited supercharging" deadline pushed me to make the decision sooner than I might have otherwise.

I seriously considered the Audi S6, but it has not been updated in a while and I think a refresh is coming real soon. I might have chosen to wait for it, but the overall Tesla factor pulled me in stronger even though I've been an Audi guy all along.

Little did I know about some of the more troublesome and "riskier" parts of Tesla ownership though, just comparing with my past experiences with new Audis (not going to factor old Audi's and issues over the long run as I am comparing new car vs new car)

Delays in getting features upto spec (No clue that AP2 was nowhere near AP1 when I paid for my car), with any other car, you get what is advertised on the day you pay for the car

Cost of service, Audi-care is 1k for 4 years, Tesla is close to $2500? Doesn't make sense to me

Delay in getting parts (I have been given an "indefinite" wait time on replacing my touch-screen trim bezel), some folks seem to be waiting endlessly for more critical parts it seems and that is troublesome

Quality and ability to "repair" the car seems questionable based on forum threads, but this is tough to gauge

Initial quality issues (squeaks, shudders, mirror folding etc) and paint quality issues (easiest paint to scratch among anything I've owned), Audi's paint is quite a bit more durable in comparison even with poor quality washes

Delay in service (Had my car in for 2 days to tell me "automatic wipers" are not yet functional due to software), I'd had my car returned to me the same day or the very next day for pretty much any visit I've been to Audi for)

Poor training and logistics overall, tough to blame the people here because Elon keeps changing things, proper info is easier to find in a forum than contacting their CS/delivery folks, it should be the other way around

Constant change in features, components in car without following model-year scheme (this is really unfair to the customer who never really knows what exactly they will get until they get it, for example I didnt know I will not get the "next-gen" MPB seats until I picked up my car)

Cost of ownership not exactly cheap (insurance is high, its the same as two new Audi's combined for me)

But all that said, the overall experience is still positive and I don't regret my decision one bit, the car is a dream to drive and the tech even though not as caught up as promised is still leagues ahead of several competitors. Just the tech available right now is so easy to use and nicer than the Audi and EAP even at its crippled stage right now is so easy to use and convenient.

I look forward to what else the car can do over the next 3-4 years which is a really exciting proposition compared to ANY other car that you own that just stays the same over the time you own it.

ordered a new plate today...... :) (circuit = flow of energy between 2 points in the path with least resistance) LOL

16939279_1829429113750009_8536006255508361596_n.jpg

Reactions: davinci2017
I scheduled a test drive with Tesla and my owner advisor was asking me what other car I was considering. I told him Mercedes C43 Coupe or BMW 440i Grand Coupe.

He was like "are you kidding me"

I did schedule another test drive the following week and ordered the model S right after; didn't even bother checking other cars lol

Driving is much more fun with Tesla and I don't even mind when there's traffic now :)

They are considered because they exist in a similar price sphere. If I am interested in spending $80k - $140k on a car then there is a fair chance I am not going to look at vehicles that are under that particular price range. From the standpoint of performance, the Tesla is actually dollar for dollar an awesome performance/reliability/maintenance value vs. other cars in that price range.

For me, sure, the Tesla is not as luxurious as other vehicles in the upper price sphere, however luxury is not the only reason people buy expensive cars. I agree the Tesla is lacking in many creature comforts that ICE competitors have... however, that is the cost of "doing business" with Tesla, and a customer who is purchasing this vehicle for a luxury experience must temper that with the MO of Tesla. You aren't paying for a lot of fluff with these cars, you are paying for technology.

These cars are technology tours de force, which is their "luxury" I think.

Once I drove a Model S I was hooked, it felt like the future. Next was to "sell" the wife (on buying an "S" that is). It took a couple of years, but finally at a party I overheard her tell a friend that she knew it was inevitable that we would get one at some point, especially after we added 10 more solar panels to the 24 we already had (for car charging). I knew then it was simply a matter of time. Beginning to receive my social security while still employed and the $1K bonus was what finally did it. I had no desire to buy anything but a Model S, afterall, I was in love;-)

I didn't look at anything else.

With every other car I've bought, I researched everything, usually test drove a couple and then decided on something. This time, after I took a Tesla for a test drive, there was nothing to compare it to.

Hopefully in a few years, there will be competitors - competition makes everything better.

It was 2012 and I was following Model S and Model X news. I wanted an X. Delay looked like it'd be too long. Went for S, ordered in July 2013.

Frankly I looked at nothing else. I was done with ICE cars and especially with auto dealers.

Still can't conceive of any other manufacturer. My next car will be another Tesla, for sure.