Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people here do thesis investing in that they find a company in a market they think will do well, and invest in that company with the thought that a rising sea lifts all boats. Which is very dangerous because if your company has a leak in its hull, it ain’t going nowhere.

You really should be doing DD, at least at a cursory level on the company’s financials. If they are a growth stock, how much YoY refenue growth are they doing? 20%? That’s not a growth stock.

Their revenue growth, is it propped up by marketing expenses? Many companies just buy revenue, so they’ll never actually be profitable.

If the company is losing money, how many quarters do they have before they have no cash? Can they become profitable in that time?

We are really spoiled by investing in Tesla since it is probably the most watched company on the stock market. TMC gives you so much info on the company that you can have confidence either day trading it or investing for the long run. If Tesla were tun run into strategic problems, we would know about it just be following TMC. You have to work harder for other companies.

BTW, I’m speaking from experience, I’ve been burned a lot from sloppy DD on my part. I’m slowly learning…

“If the lights go out, transit agencies and fleet operators need to know that their electric vehicles will be there for the communities they serve,” said Chris Bailey, President of Proterra Powered & Energy. “We’re excited to bring local clean energy and EV fleet charging to help VTA power through outages to deliver essential transportation services as they transition to a zero-emission bus fleet.”

Reactions: CarlS
The markets are going to be volatile for a while. In history nobody has ever done a troop build up like Russia has been doing without going to war.

Putin is facing a lot of resistance, including within his own country. I've read the FSB is very strongly against the war. They may be considering a palace coup if Putin doesn't back down, but right now Putin is definitely planning to invade.

The odds of some kind of war with Ukraine and Russia is very high. That will cause havoc in the financial markets.

I'm trying to sell some assets that are up right now to get into a cash position. I expect the markets to go down sharply when the war starts, though some stocks will probably soar.

PE of Coin is 13. Currently growing revenue and profit faster than Tesla.
Of course they have no chance of ruling the world but, a PE of 13?
Yep, seems to be beaten down. A LOT of growth stocks are very low now, even great ones like Zoom and Fastly. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some of these stocks soon.

On COIN in particular, the strategic problem I see with it is that it is a centralized storage place for crypto, which obviates one of crypto's benefits - that there is no centralize infrastructure. If you wonder why that's a problem, I refer you to the Canadian Trucker protest. The Canadian Government managed to freeze protester bank accounts AND crypto wallets, presumably those wallets being on centralized systems like Coinbase.

An alternative to Coinbase is software/apps that you run yourself that keeps your own crypto secure without needing a Coinbase to house it for you. In that case, governments cannot reach out and force companies to freeze your crypto. And you will always be free to send your crypto via email, etc. to others.

BTW, I barely know enough about crypto to write this and I might have written a bunch of BS, so please feel free to correct me!

Lol I don't think anyone knows why it shot up 25%

I've looked to see what the news was and still can't find any. Even CNBC can't figure it out haha

From SA article I just googled:
Q4 gross payment volume of $46.3B vs. $45.4B in Q3.

Q4 adjusted EPS of $0.27 vs. average analyst estimate of $0.22, decreased from $0.37 in Q3 and $0.32 in the year-ago quarter.

Q4 total net revenue of $4.08B topped $4.06B consensus and compared with $3.94B in Q3; it rose 29% Y/Y.

Excluding bitcoin, total net revenue was $2.12B vs. $2.03B in Q3, and up 51% Y/Y.

Transaction-based revenue of $1.31B increased 41% Y/Y and declined from $1.30B in Q3.

Cash App generated $2.55B of revenue in Q4, up 18% Y/Y and up from $2.39B in Q3. Cash App generated $1.96B of bitcoin revenue in the quarter and $46M of bitcoin profit.

From SA article I just googled:
Q4 gross payment volume of $46.3B vs. $45.4B in Q3.

Q4 adjusted EPS of $0.27 vs. average analyst estimate of $0.22, decreased from $0.37 in Q3 and $0.32 in the year-ago quarter.

Q4 total net revenue of $4.08B topped $4.06B consensus and compared with $3.94B in Q3; it rose 29% Y/Y.

Excluding bitcoin, total net revenue was $2.12B vs. $2.03B in Q3, and up 51% Y/Y.

Transaction-based revenue of $1.31B increased 41% Y/Y and declined from $1.30B in Q3.

Cash App generated $2.55B of revenue in Q4, up 18% Y/Y and up from $2.39B in Q3. Cash App generated $1.96B of bitcoin revenue in the quarter and $46M of bitcoin profit.

Decreasing EPS YoY and revenue up only 29% Yoy........man TSLA is an absolute steal if Square is getting a 27% push after off of these earnings numbers 🙃 🥴

Combined the decrease in EPS YoY and a 27% increase in the stock price and Square's P/E won't be that much cheaper than TSLA's. In reality, it's much more expensive than Tesla's since Q1 and Q2 2021 are really making TSLA's TTM P/E much higher than it is in reality.

POETF just had a 1:10 stock split. I don't completely follow all the changes, but they are preparing to get listed on NASDAQ. I noticed when the value of my stock went up around 11X today after hours. It appears they are showing the new price, but at the old quantity. I expect the quantity will be corrected tomorrow.

It's good to see they will be moving to NASDAQ. They have some interesting tech that should speed up networking.

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
POETF just had a 1:10 stock split. I don't completely follow all the changes, but they are preparing to get listed on NASDAQ. I noticed when the value of my stock went up around 11X today after hours. It appears they are showing the new price, but at the old quantity. I expect the quantity will be corrected tomorrow.

It's good to see they will be moving to NASDAQ. They have some interesting tech that should speed up networking.

I quickly looked at their financials. They lose about $15M per year, have $20M in the bank and last reported quarter had $0 in revenue ($200K for prior 9 months). They operate in a space that looks askance at companies that aren't financially stable. So, why is this a good company?

Anyone else find it difficult to invest in other green tech stocks because of Tesla? I've been considering Enphase and SolarEdge for years now, but never pulled the trigger because I think Tesla Energy will win in the long term.

You can read any review of Enphase's battery products, everyone concludes the Powerwall is superior. And while I think SolarEdge may have the inverter leg-up on Tesla right now, the Tesla-inverter and/or the inverter built into the Powerwall Plus has the potential to be an amazing product once the kinks are worked out.

Has anyone found green tech stocks that are complementary to TSLA? I thought that's what I was doing when I bought EVGO (given them including Tesla connectors on some DC fast chargers), but they've floundered as a business, and made weird decisions about where to local their stalls...