Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but what’s their margin on that revenue?

Amazon approach in terms of doubling down on product right at IPO - they actually reduced spending significantly from Q3/2021. Also, they dropped churn by ~20% and user growth continues to be ridiculous.

I like what they did on the product side in Q4 and the roadmap looks sound/focused. They have a ridiculously good leadership team. Sure, they'll have M&A opportunities to be acquired, but 2022 should be a great year, IMO, if they execute on their product roadmap they've just laid out. Crypto companies like Coinbase (which have wallets) are ~$45B...and that doesn't even have a brokerage.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, Robinhood is a $10B market cap company with $1.8B annual revenue.
Cathie Woods who said Tesla would go to 5000. Saw an article talking about her ETF and how badly it had done. Was long in about 5 of these companies that have more than halved since the tech boom of 2021 ended!! Like Robinhood some are about a fifth of their peak! I'm reminded of the line from "The Big Short" - I want to know everything that person bought - and I want to short the lot of it! Because EVERYTHING that person touched is massively over-bought and over-hyped! I'm also reminded of the 1% club of the .com boom and the 100s of companies that within 2 years went to 1% of their peak value, or bust. Noticing Robinhood fell 6% and is predicted to open down 15% !!
Not the article I read - but see this
Her fund has fallen >60% since it's peak in 2021.

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
Cathie Woods who said Tesla would go to 5000. Saw an article talking about her ETF and how badly it had done. Was long in about 5 of these companies that have more than halved since the tech boom of 2021 ended!! Like Robinhood some are about a fifth of their peak! I'm reminded of the line from "The Big Short" - I want to know everything that person bought - and I want to short the lot of it! Because EVERYTHING that person touched is massively over-bought and over-hyped! I'm also reminded of the 1% club of the .com boom and the 100s of companies that within 2 years went to 1% of their peak value, or bust. Noticing Robinhood fell 6% and is predicted to open down 15% !!
Not the article I read - but see this
Her fund has fallen >60% since it's peak in 2021.
She explains why is this interview:

The "Great Resignation" is real.
Pandemic did a nice thing: made you reflect hard on things that matter. Family, friends, happyness, values. Your mileage may vary, but humans are pretty much alike on the core things that make them really happy.
I think/hope that Tesla has a competitive advantage on this: it is a demanding job, but
1. you have stock options even if you are a """"low level"""", like in the assembly line
2. the mission is clear, and it's a good one.
Millennials and Gen-Z are worried about climate change in a way that older people don't really understand.
It's different to work your ass off for a company that at least is trying to save the world than
for another company that wants a Wall-E scenario where everyone is obese, gets everything delivered at home and watch content on a streaming service.
The Bezos world is very different from a Musk world.
I don't always agree with Elon on the politics side (quite the contrary), but Tesla works for a future I want to live in.

Anyone interested in shorting - this one may already be too late .. Apparently the Koch Bros got taken (good for them ;D)

Hindenburg Research Standard Lithium: All The Hallmarks of A Made-In-Vancouver Stock Promotion Scheme Fueled By EV Lithium Hype

Standard Lithium Ltd. (SLI)

Standard Lithium Ltd. (SLI) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

Down massively this morning - anyone knows how to get on the Hindenburg early warning list ?

From their newsletter - I received it at 7:42AM in NYC on my Fastmail account (faster than Gmail etc) - need to set a text alarm for these !!!
(NYSE:SLI)
  • Standard Lithium is a zero-revenue mining company that uplisted to the NYSE in July 2021 with a fantastic-sounding story of being a first mover in direct-lithium-extraction (DLE), a technology that aims to revolutionize lithium mining.
  • Standard’s CEO Robert Mintak has been involved with at least 9 publicly traded companies. On average, shares of these companies have fallen ~97%. Of the 9 companies, 5 have been delisted, several have faced regulatory scrutiny, none operate profitably, and at least 8 used paid stock promotion.
  • Robert Mintak’s role immediately prior to Standard Lithium was as CEO of Pure Energy Minerals, another lithium company that, like Standard Lithium, touted proprietary DLE technology. Pure Energy used extensive stock promotion but failed to commercialize DLE. Its stock crashed ~98%, with executives moving on to Standard Lithium.
  • Standard Lithium’s CEO, COO, Chairman, and VP of Exploration all came from Pure Energy Minerals. We show that Standard’s executives and board also have ties to companies whose stocks spiked on the back of paid stock promotion before ultimately plummeting.
  • Mintak previously worked at a 3-person stock promotion firm based out of a Regus rental office. His partner at the firm is currently facing a B.C. Securities Commission investigation into allegations of undisclosed stock promotion at a different failed lithium mining company.
  • Standard Lithium appears to us to be a regurgitation of Mintak’s prior company, Pure Energy Minerals, using the same Vancouver stock playbook as Mintak’s numerous other failed ventures.
  • Standard Lithium has used a vast network of 15+ stock promotion outfits. Since going public, the company has spent over C$5 million on “advertising and investor relations” compared to about C$1.7 million on R&D. In fiscal 2021, its R&D budget dropped to zero.
  • Around the time of the Standard Lithium’s reverse merger to go public in 2016, it executed 2 opaque land deals resulting in almost 21 million shares (worth ~$152 million today) going to unnamed beneficiaries.
  • Both land deals appear to have been undisclosed related party transactions. The first was with a newly formed entity based at the same address as Standard’s merger partner. The former President of Standard’s merger partner, associated with the deal, was later charged by the SEC over allegations of helping insiders secretly dump large quantities of stock in at least 45 companies through the use of opaque entities.
  • The second land deal was with a newly formed entity incorporated by the law firm of a then-Standard Lithium director. The now-former director was later suspended from practicing law for 2 months for misappropriating client funds and is reportedly subject to a “broad” B.C. Law Society investigation into “entities and individuals who were apparently involved in market manipulations”.
  • Robert Mintak’s prior company, Pure Energy Minerals, also executed a questionable land option deal through the same firm that vended the questionable land option deal to Standard Lithium.
  • Standard claims its proprietary “LiSTR” technology differentiates it from other lithium hopefuls. LiSTR is based on three patent applications it purchased in 2018 from an apparent one-man engineering shop. Two of the applications have already been rejected as “unpatentable” by the USPTO.
  • Standard’s flagship project has been delayed by nearly 18 months with key partner Lanxess recently admitting that Standard’s extraction technology has still not demonstrated “proof of concept”. Lanxess says it has “no timeline” for development and is no longer mentioning Standard Lithium on its earnings calls.
  • Even now, the pilot plant appears to be operating at a fraction of its boilerplate capacity, according to data we reviewed through FOIA. Standard’s technology solution seems to be struggling out of the gate.
  • Another Standard partner and shareholder, TETRA Technologies, has sold ~90% of its stock.
  • A subsidiary of Koch Industries, which starting last year has been aggressively investing in SPACs, PIPEs, and ESG-oriented “growth equity” investments recently stepped in as a partner with a $100 million investment. We think Koch missed red flags and failed in its due diligence in its haste to deploy capital.
Initial Disclosure: After extensive research, we have taken a short position in shares of Standard Lithium, Ltd. through its U.S. ticker (NYSE:SLI). This report represents our opinion, and we encourage every reader to do their own due diligence. Please see our full disclaimer at the bottom of the report.

Last edited:
Someone posted this in a thread on Nextdoor. It looks like some sort of Onion-like parody, but apparently it's a real company
AIR PROTEIN

I'm 90% sure the company is a scam though. There isn't enough CO2 in the atmosphere to make this viable, even if there were enzymes that could make the conversion. Even at the levels we have now, the atmosphere only has about 800 mg/m3 of CO2. Any process to draw it out of the air biologically is going to be far less than 100% efficient.

Dunno, kinda feels like a bottom??
Sure, let's talk about bottom plays.

I'm into U, they reported earnings and beat today but no one noticed because of AMZN and F. They've already been to the woodshed and are down 50% from ATH and not far from IPO price. They are a textbook no profits recent IPO tech company that has been slaughtered during this NASDAQ drawdown. They are also actually growing fast, likely to post their first profits in 2022, and are a key provider of the game engine middleware used on mobile platforms and VR headsets. Yes, that means Metaverse, for people who are into buzzwordy growth fads.

Interesting take - would be immune to MM manipulations and could invest in Space X - minimum investment $1000 - am going to take a position when it becomes available - also a simple way to get crypto exposure - let me know what you think

Ark to launch Ark Venture, a new interval fund.

PS. Note, Cathie took a position in HOOD (Robinhood) last week ...

------------------------------

One of the biggest and most well-known ETF companies is launching a new closed-end fund that provides major differences from its existing ETFs.

What Happened: Ark Funds, the company founded by Cathie Wood, has filed to launch Ark Venture, a new interval fund.

Ark Venture can invest in privately placed and restricted securities, something the other Ark ETFs don't do.

“In seeking to achieve its investment objective, the fund may invest, without limit, in privately placed or restricted securities, illiquid securities and securities in which no secondary market is readily available, including those of private companies.”

An interval fund conducts quarterly repurchase offers for between 5% and 25% of the outstanding shares at net asset value.

The company expects to repurchase the minimum 5% of outstanding shares each quarter.

The fund will not be listed on a national securities exchange, a major difference from the existing Ark ETFs. Ark Venture will be an unlisted closed-end fund.

The Ark Venture fund comes with a minimum investment of $1,000. Additional investments can be made in any amount.

Investment Themes: In a similar fashion to existing Ark Funds like Ark Innovation ETF
ARK Innovation ETF (ARCA:ARKK) Stock Price, News, Charts

ARKK+3.82%
, Ark Next GenerationInternet ETF
ARK Next Generation Internet ETF (ARCA:ARKW) Stock Price, News, Charts
ARKW+4.87%
, Ark Genomic Revolution ETF
ARK Genomic Revolution ETF (BATS:ARKG) Stock Price, News, Charts
ARKG+1.09%
, Ark Space & Exploration ETF
ARK Space Exploration & Innovation ETF (BATS:ARKX) Stock Price, News, Charts
ARKX+1.39%+ Free Alerts
and the Ark Fintech Innovation ETF
ARK Fintech Innovation ETF (ARCA:ARKF) Stock Price, News, Charts
ARKF+3.99%
, Ark Venture has a forward-looking, long-term horizon.

Major areas of interest for the fund will be genomics, automation and manufacturing, transportation, energy, artificial intelligence, shared technology, infrastructure and services and fintech.

The filing says the fund could invest in Bitcoin BTC through an investment like the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust or a private company that invests in Bitcoin.

Why It’s Important: Having a $1,000 minimum investment and trading off major exchanges could mean the fund is invested in by people who also have a forward looking outlook and/or believe in the disruptive innovation push laid out by Wood.

The fund could hold companies like Tesla Inc
Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) Stock Price, News, Charts

TSLA+1.67%
, Teladoc Health
https://www.benzinga.com/quote/tdoc
TDOC+0.71%
, Zoom Video Communications
https://www.benzinga.com/quote/zm
ZM+3.28%
and Coinbase Global Inc
Coinbase Global (NASDAQ:COIN) Stock Price, News, Charts
COIN+5.77%
Coinbase Global (NASDAQ:COIN) Stock Price, News, Charts
that are large holdings in existing Ark ETFs.

The ability to invest in private companies could be appealing to investors, as Wood could invest in companies like SpaceX, Stripe and others that fit the mold of disruptive technology but have not been publicly listed. A fund vehicle that offered investments in both Tesla and SpaceX could be incredibly attractive to investors and fans of Elon Musk.

Last edited:
Interesting take - would be immune to MM manipulations and could invest in Space X - minimum investment $1000 - am going to take a position as soon as it opens, want in - also a simple way to get Crypto exposure, methink - let me know what you think

Ark to launch Ark Venture, a new interval fund.
Do you know how one would invest in this new fund with it not being listed on the exchanges?

Do you know how one would invest in this new fund with it not being listed on the exchanges?
I couldn't find any information on the ARK website, so I just signed to be on their mailing list. Guessing, direct offering from ARK considering the min investments. If anyone has more information or a direct contact w/ someone at ARK, please let us know here or DM.

FWIW I looked up available flexible funds such as PIMCO's - no contact listed either, only Institutional advisors can connect for these funds. Fidelity and Blackrock (not! *) also have flexible funds, I bought some FMAGX in my Fidelity account to keep track, it has zero management fee and zero minimum investment, had decent returns over the past few years, looks like a good place to park cash.

Fidelity.FMAGX.700363924.jpg

* Why not BlackRock - it's the absolute top enemy of Tesla, completely into oil & gas and big Wall St trading houses all against Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: UltradoomY
I couldn't find any information on the ARK website, so I just signed to be on their mailing list. Guessing, direct offering from ARK considering the min investments. If anyone has more information or a direct contact w/ someone at ARK, please let us know here or DM.

FWIW I looked up available flexible funds such as PIMCO's - no contact listed either, only Institutional advisors can connect for these funds. Fidelity and Blackrock (not! *) also have flexible funds, I bought some FMAGX in my Fidelity account to keep track, it has zero management fee and zero minimum investment, had decent returns over the past few years, looks like a good place to park cash.

View attachment 764957

* Why not BlackRock - it's the absolute top enemy of Tesla, completely into oil & gas and big Wall St trading houses all against Tesla.

I'm not familiar with Blackrock, but inherited some shares of it. I haven't done anything with them.

My father's portfolio had a fair bit of oil in it back when he was managing it. My sister took over the last two years and invested the money from his house sale to pay for his care. She, being a Petroleum Geologist, invested heavily in oil and gas too. As the oil stocks recover I've been slowly selling them and reinvesting. I caught Tesla on the bounce a week back ($800 a share), reinvesting some of the profits from the Exxon stock my father bought in the early 1980s.

For the purpose the money was invested for, it was a good move on my sister's part. The stocks generated enough income every month to pay my father's bills without burning capital.

Looking at Blackrock now, it looks ripe to sell. It's recovered from the COVID crash and is back where it was in 2018.

Reactions: CarlS
Was discussed here last year, but haven't seen mention of it in a while: SENS has been on a strong tear this week. Haven't seen a peep of news, but I wonder if someone is pre-buying in anticipation of FDA approval on their 180-day implantable glucose sensor.
I’m still long SENS. I’ve been buying on dips and accumulating (and sweating). I think the valuation already has the 180 day baked in but there will probably be an opportunity for short term profit taking when it gets approval and then I expect it to sink. I believe this is a 5 year play based on approval of a 365 day device, and hopefully a partnership with a delivery system for true closed loop blood sugar management. But it will be exciting in the meantime.

I’m still long SENS. I’ve been buying on dips and accumulating (and sweating). I think the valuation already has the 180 day baked in but there will probably be an opportunity for short term profit taking when it gets approval and then I expect it to sink. I believe this is a 5 year play based on approval of a 365 day device, and hopefully a partnership with a delivery system for true closed loop blood sugar management. But it will be exciting in the meantime.
Good for you - any sleepers you still are incubating and are OK to share? - re sweating - what's your exit strategy?

Based on my past track record, I now try to do 1/3 increments at the "right" times

Reactions: serendipitous
Good for you - any sleepers you still are incubating and are OK to share? - re sweating - what's your exit strategy?

Based on my past track record, I now try to do 1/3 increments at the "right" times

Nothing I think is worth sharing - I’m an amateur. When I first started buying SENS (based on recs here), I was selling covered calls as I went and was able to ride some early excitement that I figured was “irrational exuberance” and got lucky. So my cost basis is effectively zero for a lot of my early shares other than having to pay short term gains on the option sales. I still have confidence in the long term outlook. My exit strategy is to lose it all and learn from it 🤣

I jumped into HLTH after IPO based on my belief that Covid gives them a wave to ride, but I believe at home lab-quality testing will be revolutionary for things like regular PSA screenings, STD testing, and chronic conditions that people don’t want to either confront or go to clinics or labs for regularly. They haven’t performed solidly after IPO despite compelling technology and actual revenue and a new subscription based consumer product, but I’ve been accumulating and averaging down my cost basis as a long term play. Purely speculative, do your own DD etc…

Reactions: CLK350