Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly everyone agress that blockchain technology will disrupt many industries, however there is some vocal opposition to Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies. Every country can adapt blockchain technology to their monetary system and create their own bitcoins. Why should Bitcoin be any special? Why should anyone buy them?
I don't really care about Bitcoin, what I care about is if there are any good companies to invest in for the underlying tech blockchain. I would hate to miss on the next big investment of our time. It seems like from the article these companies will be a good place to start our research.

1. BTCS: With a market cap of more than $7 million and shares trading around 14 cents as of this writing, BTCS is a solid entry point for blockchain investors. It's the first blockchain-centric public company in the U.S. and was one of the first entrants into the digital currency space.
  2. Global Arena Holding: Global Arena Holding acquires patents related to blockchain tech, but it's also working on applying that tech to ATMs. If successful, this could have major implications for the everyday consumer.
  3. DigitalX: DigitalX developed a mobile product called AirPocket that assists with secure cross-border payments from more than 30,000 locations in 14 countries, primarily in North and South America.
  4. BTL Group: The Vancouver-based company offers blockchain solutions across several spaces, including banking and fantasy sports.
  5. Coinsilium Group: This London-based company invests in other blockchain startups and helps develop them. It was also the first recognized IPO for a blockchain tech company.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
I am currently long MU, but might soon close that position by this year end. MU is by no means a monopoly as many newish MU bulls believe. It is still in a race-to-the-bottom commodity business. I made a ton and lost a ton on this stock. Be careful out there. Key points to ponder about:

1) MU's 2/3rd revenue and 80% of profits are from DRAM.

2) MU is atleast a half to one full node generation behind the industry leader Samsung. Everytime Samsung ramps up on the newer smaller node, oversupply ensues and customers gravitate towards newer and better product from Samsung. As DRAM is highly price-inelastic (for example, adding more DRAM than required doesn't improve performance in smartphones), the leader, atleast temporarily captures higher market share, only to give it away later as laggards like MU and Hynix catch up. This is what you see as the infamous Memory boom/bust cycle.

3) A counter to point 2 above though is the 'end of the runway' or the fundamental limits reached in what can be achived with node shrinkage in DRAM. When no further improvements can be made in DRAM manufacturing technology, leaders and laggards will become one and the same, and that could herald a new era of oligopoly. Only then, boom-bust cycles will be a thing of the past and all three DRAM players - Samsung, MU and Hynix - will play nicely with each other to maximize their profits. I am expecting one more boom-bust cycle before they reach oligopoly nirvana.

Thanks. I opened a position in MU about 8 weeks ago and have to reevaluate my position. Good gain, might be time to take profit.

Yes we're on the same page. Bitcoin may not be unique/enduring beyond the next bubble; blockchain-based solutions, however appear to hold tremendous promise.
Yes, we are on same page. While I am not yet convinced of Bitcoin's worth or potential, I would love to know why it is worthy of investment. I could be wrong because I fail to see the true potential. I just want to know.

MU is going to make a lot more money in 2018 than 2017, and it made a hell of a lot more in 2017 than 2016. But the stock market is always trying to adjust its future glasses and look forward. If 2019 doesn't look as strong, when will the market start to penalize MU? Probably in Q1 at the latest. But the need for DRAM and NAND is growing at a greater clip than in previous cycles and with Samsung, Hynix and MU being Delta, American and United, yes they just have to play sort of nice and they are long term profit makers. MUs low multiple is based on the expectation of memory cycles, which of course may be true (you say at least one more). I think if there's one more its amplitude is diminished compared to previous ones. So I see MUs multiple expanding whether earnings/revenues do or not due to the reduced amplitude, sort of like the airlines. So it may be at a new base in a flattening scenario and mid cycle in a running scenario. I have stock and options investments that say running for 3-6 more months before reevaluation is necessary. But I've been wrong before, lost big on solar, but won big on TSLA and NVDA. I see 60 before I see 20. YMMV.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE and AlMc
Yes, we are on same page. While I am not yet convinced of Bitcoin's worth or potential, I would love to know why it is worthy of investment. I could be wrong because I fail to see the true potential. I just want to know.
I don't have any short answers, except some cryptic ones:
  • Electronically conducted (no 3rd party outside policies to interfere, or if using cheaper higher volume methods, potentially less problematic)
  • Fairly secure
  • Censorship resistant
  • Not based upon a debt system like many countries' domestic currencies
  • Currently starting to develop some needed fixes and enhancements that allow higher volume and more use cases.

A very long answer is referring you to many days worth of YouTube videos about the topic. Here goes: I already quoted one YouTube from a Bitcoin bull a few pages back, and he has other YouTubes of him being bullish. Another YouTube source of a cryptoblockchain bull is: aantonop

The last one by aantonop is more educational, and a better place to start. I'm sorry I don't have a quick summary.

• Helpful
  • Helpful
I don't have any short answers, except some cryptic ones:
  • Electronically conducted (no 3rd party outside policies to interfere, or if using cheaper higher volume methods, potentially less problematic)
  • Fairly secure
  • Censorship resistant
  • Not based upon a debt system like many countries' domestic currencies
  • Currently starting to develop some needed fixes and enhancements that allow higher volume and more use cases.

A very long answer is referring you to many days worth of YouTube videos about the topic. Here goes: I already quoted one YouTube from a Bitcoin bull a few pages back, and he has other YouTubes of him being bullish. Another YouTube source of a cryptoblockchain bull is: aantonop

The last one by aantonop is more educational, and a better place to start. I'm sorry I don't have a quick summary.
Thank you!

Thanks to another TMCer I bought a good position in it. While it is lightly traded I think it holds lots of potential.

Not advice ;)

Right now I am torn between treating it as
- an investment -vs-
- a momentum trading oppurtunity

On one hand it feels like a great long term oppurtunity as more and more will get robo automated. On the other hand I'm worried if this is just another hype bubble like 3D printing, remember DDD?

For now my plan is to get out on the first downswing, while I continue to evaluate.

What are your thoughts Al?

- an investment -vs-

On one hand it feels like a great long term oppurtunity as more and more will get robo automated. On the other hand I'm worried if this is just another hype bubble like 3D printing, remember DDD?

For now my plan is to get out on the first downswing, while I continue to evaluate.

I bought it after some research and a suggestion by @Lump. I am up about 40%. Will sell half IF doubles and sit on the other half or all if drops to 15% profit level.
I have NO idea how it will go. Total speculative play and I do not look it as a long term investment. Of course if it doubles I will hold the rest just to see.

• Helpful
Reactions: SBenson
I feel like a bubble of sorts is going on in "innovative" (next gen) firms. Take a look at these etfs:

upload_2017-10-17_16-26-36.png

If you look at their 2016 performance, their returns are very mixed, roughly in the range of +-10%.

Incidentally, you can see similar behavior in a lot of single name stocks. CRM, TSLA, etc. 2016 is roughly flat but 2017 is a massive run up.

Something happened literally right at the beginning of the year. All these innovative (next gen tech) firms and etfs started taking off. Almost as if somebody big decided to run a massive pump-and-dump scheme lol :D

I hope I'm wrong, as I am invested on the long side. But I'm growing suspicious.

Reactions: Ulmo
I feel like a bubble of sorts is going on in "innovative" (next gen) firms. Take a look at these etfs:
I can concur with this observation in general. Early this year there was a clear market wide rotation into these groups.

Further, for the first time TSLA was moved into that group by fund managers. I believe that part was appropriate and will ultimately benefit TSLA with higher P/E ratios. However, I share the view this rotation may reverse in a market or economic correction and that concern deserves some weight in risk analysis (especially short or medium term options).

We discussed much of this, for those interested, in the macro thread. It may not be an imminent threat, but should be recognized as fully reported, on this forum, the potential of this exists.

I’ve personally adjusted, and recommended to others, a lengthening of the time constant for your TSLA investment (especially core), while staying FULLY invested, but commensurate with this increased risk.

Last edited:
- an investment -vs-

To help you evaluate read up on Fanuc This Company’s Robots Are Making Everything—and Reshaping the World

Wow. This is a fun little thread, I remembered that it used to be pretty blend. Now it has branched out to quite a wide variety of stocks. Too focused on tech though as I believe eventually, tech will be in every sector. The vertical farming and hydroponics space for example. Another big future sector where greed for Marijuana profits will help push the technologies that will improve food supplies. I remember debating with a manager of the local organic farm and the biggest obstacle we end up finding is transportation as organic farming is just too expensive to do if it cannot be decentralized.

As for Kuka and Fanuc. I had some experience with both. I am sure everyone here has had to deal with them at some point. Fanuc's customer service is way better. This automation sector has been there for a long time and is just recently getting the attention. The proper name for this sector is called Fabrication Technology or Fabtech. It's a sector that's aging with the boomers and is having trouble getting young talent to join. Ripe for disruption from silicon valley. Most millenials will probably find the sector too boring to touch. Someone charismatic needs to go and spice it up.

The Fanuc article did indeed provide some appropriate background material. The article's matrix, however, came close to bizarre: "I wandered around HQ unable to talk to him, or him, or...well...anybody...as Fanuc is notoriously closed-mouthed".

KUKAF's sparkling +28% performance today can not, however, be ascribed to this article. The thinly-traded Pink Sheet ADRs (ADR-type) were playing a needed catch-up to the underlying Frankfurt stock, which has had some back-to-back 3-8% gains each of the past 5 trading days. But today's move brings us within a squiggle-width of +100% since our 11 May purchase.

And FANUY finally has had some respectable action, up 11% since the end of last month.

No....I don't think so.

As I wrote in #1596, there had developed a disparity between home-market's share price and that in the US market. KU2.DE share price has risen to €209.80 over the past week; until today the ADRs had been stuck at $194. With the Euro/$ at 1.18, dollar parity for the shares is (209.8 x 1.18) = $247.56. Thus, the $248.30 they reached would ascribe a mere $0.74 to the Xi effect.

Maus Nüsse, sicher!

• Informative
Reactions: kenliles