Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems the Blockchain tech won't be something to invest in to make money, but it does seem to be a technology that will be useful in the future to help spread and maintain renewable energy. This is from RMI, which is a very respectful organization:

Blockchain Is Reimagining the Rules of the Game in the Energy Sector - Rocky Mountain Institute

Interested in blockchain implementations and read through the paper. Green energy and blockchain are very often pitched together nowadays, but I still fail to understand what is the use case for blockchain mentioned in the paper. The biggest issues with blockchain implementations start where blockchain meets a real world - it is hard to avoid centralization here which is the whole point of the blockchain.
For example, you can perfectly track electricity usage/generation with blockchain, but at the end of the day, it is the utility company sending electricity to your outlet, you can not deliver electrons within the blockchain. Same happens with money - at the point where paper money transfer into real money, the centralization happens and that usually kills the whole idea.
You can notice these points easily - they usually have some kind of "oracle" or third party arbiter. The solution in the paper still looks centralized, so it looks like internet connected smart meters would be sufficient without the whole blockchain infrastructure. I might be wrong and ready to discuss is someone has ideas on that.

There hasn't been discussion on it since 2015 but I'm looking seriously at Illumina (ILMN) and have been for a few years. I spoke with an engineer who worked with them (and now does m&a consulting for them), he believes they have enormous potential. Largely because they've sequenced 99.9% of all human DNA that has been sequenced and have more or less cornered that market, a market which he believes is destined to takeoff once having your genome sequenced and analyzed becomes standard practice in medicine.

I believe that advanced biotech (engineering ourselves) is what lies beyond the current tech revolution (renewables, machines that build machines, and AI).

Sadly, my expertise is in computer science and automobiles, and my experience with TSLA has made me very distrustful of news articles on radical new enterprises. I have a difficult time discerning what is plausible and what is bunk in the field of genomics.

That looks like a wild ride!

Over 50% of trading days swing more than 4% one way or the other. It moves fast. Three days this year have been double digits...down...

Its not quite like analyzing an individual security, but I'm learning a bit, developing new tools, and making a bit of scratch in the process. I started trading SOXL in mid May and am up 29%. A theoretical buy and hold would be +23%. I take that as strong indication that I've found fleeting success at being lucky... o_O

Its not the best distribution on holdings and like most people I'd rather not deal with the trash that typically ends up in an ETF, but its hard to argue with triple leverage. On the good days, anyway...

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I would like to buy some AMZN Calls. I'd prefer JAN18'19 1000 Calls, but they cost aprox 126 USD so 12.6k per contract. Is there any other way not to buy a contact of 100? I'd like to spend like 1K in it, not 12k
Well, not usually, and not currently for AMZN. You can get the price down by buying more speculative, further out-of-the-money calls, but you have to go out to $1600 to get a contract for $1000. Alternatively shorter time periods. Or both.

Hey, while looking that up, I found that there are AMZN LEAPS for July'19 and Jan'00 already! I didn't know that...

Well, not usually, and not currently for AMZN. You can get the price down by buying more speculative, further out-of-the-money calls, but you have to go out to $1600 to get a contract for $1000. Alternatively shorter time periods. Or both.

Hey, while looking that up, I found that there are AMZN LEAPS for July'19 and Jan'00 already! I didn't know that...

Yes, along with Apple (bought a couple J20 $200s already) they are in the first group. Unfortunately, TSLA is group 3: November. 'Catch 22' for me, nice to see the SP of TSLA rising but wish it might have waited till after buying J20s.:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Mich
Bought some IPOA.U (Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings) on last Thursday on its first day of trading. It is a Special purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC), raising an upsized $600 million fund with the intent to acquire late stage revenue generating unicorns.

The one and only reason I bought this is because I am betting on the jockey who leads this company, Chamath Palihapitiya.

Social Capital's CEO Aims to Get Unicorns 'Liquid Sooner'

This tech IPO gives a wealthy Facebook alum a 'blank check'

Last edited:
I tried searching for the answer but came up empty: What does ".U" mean? A U suffix on a five character NASDAQ symbol means "Units", but that isn't usually separated by a dot, and doesn't seem appropriate here either.

I was not able to find it in Google Finance with the above ticker but was able to buy some searching for 'Hedosophia' in IB -- the ticker there is IPOA U

I tried searching for the answer but came up empty: What does ".U" mean? A U suffix on a five character NASDAQ symbol means "Units", but that isn't usually separated by a dot, and doesn't seem appropriate here either.
I guess the ticker symbol hasn't been setup properly across various platforms, but it is trading. On E*TRADE, it shows up as IPOA.U
https://www.etrade.wallst.com/v1/st...pect&env=PRD&symbol=IPOA.U&rsO=new&country=US

On Fidelity, it shows up as IPOA/U IPOA/U | Stock Snapshot - Fidelity

The answer to the "U" question is that the product trades in Units. What one gets with 1 Unit of Hedosophia is 1 Class A Ordinary share and 1/3 of 1 Warrant.

The Warrants have a strike price of $11.50.

More: CS was the sole underwriter (lucky ducks); the over-allotment was capped at 9mm units (vs. 60mm in the underwriting). We won't learn for a while if or how many of that over-allotment was taken - CS has 45 trading days to flog that remainder.

Last edited: