Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTC breached 1000, milestone. 10,000 is next milestone...we've gotten way past critical mass and a snowball effect is happening and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon as I can't see a scenario where a mass panic of BTC selling happens. Between TSLA options and BTC this has been one hell of a year for me....now I'm just nervous abut how to handle the tax man on this stuff...I need a good accountant...eeek.

catching 2 blackswans in one year, good feeling so far :D
Although Tesla is a joke compared to the potential that bitcoin has.

A company I have been following for a month or so is Gogo Inc. (GOGO). They provide airplane in-flight internet connectivity and also have technology available for in-flight talk and text. Regulations are increasingly being lifted to allow these services more and more. Gogo is the leading company by far in this field with 81% market share. They had a great Q3 and the stock jumped up before consolidating recently. It jumped up again today on news that Boeing is having Gogo install its technology on 747s. I am not a technical analyst at all but from what I am reading, it is just breaking out of a bull pennant/flag pattern.

In light of this news that Amazon is experimenting with deliveries by unmanned drones, is anyone following any interesting startups in the commercial/domestic UAV/drone space?

There seem to be some larger players in the military space like Boeing, Lockheed, Northrop, but wondering if there are any up and comers on the commercial side.

Got back into NAVB last week. Looking great right now.

Yeah it does. I've been holding every single share (was at a loss, still am at the current price). However, short interest hasn't fallen dramatically. The stock went from 2.82 to 1.11 and is now at 2.05, and short interest only moved from 24Mil to 18Mil. The accelerated review of Lymphoseek (LS) in head and neck should do wonders for this stock, because it's a direct source of revenue- unlike the other drugs that they have in their pipeline (RIGS, etc which are being discounted because they will require significant cash burn to bring to market).
I added a few more shares at 1.45 but honestly, between this drop of 50%, the tesla drop of 30%, a drop in my other largest holding (IMGN, -40% in 4 weeks) I was getting margin called out of 60% of my account value and couldn't effectively add to my position.

I've still got jan14 calls for 2 and 3 dollars, so let's see some upward action now for navb!

Not a lot of action on tesla today. Most of the action was on the solar dive and the biotech dive. Almost across the board my solar and my biotechs were down 5%. What an epic coordination. I can't believe we're still seeing fallout from the "fed taper", that was soooo mid-2013. They would have been wise to just get it started a long time ago with 85/80/75/70 and so on down each quarter. Instead this fear every so often drops the market like a rock. On the plus side, it looks like it's time to start a rotation into the mREIT space because they got killed based on the interest rate hike. I just don't see the interest rates jumping up more on the end of taper.

Any thoughts on what the fed will do with tapering tomorrow and wed?

I have cast my vote that rates are at a local high by buying AGNC- once a plan for tapering is introduced, the stability will cause bond investors to return to the market after sitting on the sideline for a year.

Biotechs are way too risky for my taste. SRPT was my first try at a biotech, lost decently on it. Had IMUC and luckily sold it when SRPT dropped, pulling out of all biotech's. Very high risk, very high reward, but just doesn't seem like my desired style of investing.

I may have mentioned this one before but since we can't invest in SpaceX, we can invest in the other company taking stuff to the ISS, Orbital Sciences. Their ticker is ORB and they closed today at $23.44. They have their first official launch to the ISS will now happen mid-January. Their first attempt, a test, was successful and the stock did a nice jump leading up to that launch and afterwards.

Here's the Wiki for details of the company: Orbital Sciences Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

months ago, i posted here about alcoa (aa). dropping aluminum prices hurt the stock but its a great company. got in at 8 then. they have managed to distinguish themselves so that their products have a higher margin and not simply trading as commodity. examples
-aluminum casting and finished products. they now cast armour for the military, stronger then welded pieces
-process to make aluminum easier to attach to other aluminum parts for the auto industry
-new process to finish aluminum for use in phones, tablets with any color

they have even licensed a new technology to recycle wasted water that uses less land, energy and better yields

if you havent looked yet it should deserve at least a look.

I don't have any. Do you? What prompted you to ask? Putting in effort to research stocks is, like, work :). You have to tempt me more than that before I will do it.

I'm still doing research. Don't have much time due to holiday stuff, but I went ahead and bought INO and CNDO @ 2.50 this morning.

Also, is anybody looking to play MU's earnings next week. The company seems to be turning things around and their ER trend has been pretty good. I may buy a few calls today or tomorrow.

I'm still doing research. Don't have much time due to holiday stuff, but I went ahead and bought INO and CNDO @ 2.50 this morning.

Also, is anybody looking to play MU's earnings next week. The company seems to be turning things around and their ER trend has been pretty good. I may buy a few calls today or tomorrow.

Yeah I am in MU right now. Solar has been pretty flat so thinking about potentially increasing MU holdings before Jan 7th

Clearfield (CLFD)

At the time I bought this the PE was low. Beyond that my other reasoning was that FTTH seemed to be picking up steam and I had also been pricing data center cable management products which seemed to be very expensive for glorified plastic molds. I guess I just wanted to share and/or tout my stock that has done well this year. (better than my Tesla position)

Now, I kind of haven't looked much since I bought so I'll leave it to someone else to look at the latest earnings call and see what business is in the pipeline if they want to. I have a personal rule to hold for five years so I haven't taken the time to look at what has changed since I bought it.