Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One can easily cite the Osborne Effect as similar to what traditional auto manufacturers have gone through year after year. That crazy system of bringing out new models each calendar year saddles companies with the wretched problem of year-end inventory - how to price the competing models (last year's and this year's); how to tweak the timing...it's really a horrid dilemma and one that is close to unique to the automotive industry.

Separately - once again, GTAT was great today: +13.5%. Excellent call, Borat!

What do you all think about GoPro recently announced IPO.

I have never used the product but I love what they do. I'm not sure how much they have penetrated their market. No doubt they can continue to innovate and make smaller can better quality cameras. Anyone interested in this company?

What do you all think about GoPro recently announced IPO.

I have never used the product but I love what they do. I'm not sure how much they have penetrated their market. No doubt they can continue to innovate and make smaller can better quality cameras. Anyone interested in this company?

Cool! I love their cameras. It seems they are everywhere now and used in a variety of different applications. I'll definitely be buying some shares.

I'd be interested in getting in on GoPro. They are definitely the best sports camera out there and they have room to be even better. I started investing in AMBA last year. They make the chip inside the GoPro and it's been doing quite well up until recently. The only thing is I can't find a single video of their CEO talking online. I guess I'm spoiled with all the videos from Elon, JB, and Franz. Tesla makes it real easy to invest in, with all the videos their is online of everyone.

We haven't mentioned it for a while, but NAVB has been generating even more good news (and getting shorted more). I have a nice 7000 dollar loss on 9000 shares, so I figured why not extend that loss and picked up another 6000 shares today with some of my tesla winnings. I am of the opinion that the potential gains on tesla at this point are 10-20%, but the gains on navb are 100-150% or more, same with JASO and SPWR.

Added more gold at this point (UGLD, 3x etf). There's some high tech for ya.

Last edited:
We haven't mentioned it for a while, but NAVB has been generating even more good news (and getting shorted more). I have a nice 7000 dollar loss on 9000 shares, so I figured why not extend that loss and picked up another 6000 shares today with some of my tesla winnings. I am of the opinion that the potential gains on tesla at this point are 10-20%, but the gains on navb are 100-150% or more, same with JASO and SPWR.

Added more gold at this point (UGLD, 3x etf). There's some high tech for ya.

Navb got priority review for lymphoseek in head and neck cancer. This was the study that was terminated early because the committee found the results overwhelmingly positive. So I'm excited about the prospects here. NAVB opened up in the 2.10 range after closing friday at 1.87. I ended up unloading half (3000) of the shares I picked up friday at 1.85 for 2.05. It appears that it is thinly traded enough to be rocketed down during the day by the sale of a few short shares... maybe there will be a chance to pick up shares again at the high 1.80's.

Jaso did nicely too.

OK, CLFD is up more than TSLA today. I mentioned this one before here but I think at $22.50 or so. I didn't put nearly as much money into them as TSLA but it has outperformed TSLA since I bought it at $7.50. The latest news I just found on Seeking Alpha from Feb 11th is that their cabinets were seen in a video of a Google Fiber site. The other thing I hear is insiders have been buying at a good clip. I wish I could say I put some effort into researching this but if Google is a giant customer of theirs the possibility of a buyout is there and/or it will be good for their bottom line as Google Fiber expands. Unless Google figures out their own in-house solution, in which case their revenue will dry up. I have no idea why it is up today in particular but obviously it catches my eye when it is my top performer for the day.

well, i have no clue about the company and what relationship to Google they have, but maybe it's the announcent Google Fibre expansion?
Google spreading Fiber fingers to more cities
Well, yeah, I guess that would move it. Assuming Google is and continues to be their customer that would be huge. Scenario 2 is that Google buys them. The risk is Google using other vendors, going in-house, or negotiating significant discounts which squeeze Clearfield's margins. Well, I will continue to hold but it is a lot more speculative now than when I bought it.

PZ is referring to a company called SharesPost (sharespost.com). I tried to use them to buy into another private company I was interested in, but in that case they wanted to sell a minimum of $250k so I walked away.

Another option here may be to contact MicroVentures (microventures.com). They do crowdfunding of startups and late-stage private companies. One example (that's actually public now so I can talk about it) was Twitter. I was able to get a block of shares last summer (which turned out to be good timing). I think the minimum buy-in in that case was $25k. Maybe if several of us ask for SpaceX shares, they can create a fund to buy in.

What price per share did you pay for Twitter?