Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LiteWait -
No, I've no insight at all into Gaynor's departure. I'm old school in virtually all ways, and key personnel departure, regardless of reason, sits poorly with me. That said, it wasn't one of those "left in order to spend more time with family" excuses that normally are synonymous with "was fired". I also am cognizant that job hopping is a lot more normal now than formerly.

@AudubonB:

It doesn't sit well with me either especially during this time period. He is leaving for some boring private equity job. I mean, I can see the private equity firm paying him a lot more however, personally, at his age I'd rather have a front row seat at a company trying to change the world. Hopefully the new CFO is a better fit. If you have any insight into the matter down the road please share.

@AudubonB:

Any idea why some key executives appear to have been unloading some shares as of late? Check out all the Form 4s that were filed:

GT Advanced Technologies Inc. - SEC Filings

Were these prearranged sales? How can you find out?

The CEO Tom Gutierrez was recently asked about this on CNBC. He said it was part of a diversification strategy and that the bulk of his personal wealth, over 2 million shares, was still in GTAT.

Thanks for posting those videos Calvin

For those intrigued by what Musk is investing his own money in, consider this one when you fret over a months change in TSLA, keep in mind Elon is thinking in terms of decades

EM and MZ may be making this investment in order to support a business that they like. That may be their 'better world investment'.

Can someone tell me briefly why GoPro's are so awesome? My friends seem to think it would be a great IPO to get into.

GoPro is becoming a mini-RedBull in that they are sponsoring and to some extent helping to produce and promote extreme sports and adventure.

Their cameras are used to film these events and give first person perspectives that have never been seen before. For example, remember Felix Baumgartner's hot air balloon sky dive from space a couple years back? All the amazing footage of the jump from the capsule and mounted on Felix himself was shot with a GoPro.

You can attach a low cost and light weight GoPro camera to pretty much anything (bike, helmet, skateboard, quad-copter (think spacex grasshopper videos), surf board, etc. and get amazing HD footage. The most inspiring footage is coming from the professional atheletes... but the low price allows kids and amateurs to have a go at it as well.

You can have a look at the S-1 I linked to above and see how they plan to use the $100MM they want to raise and what risks, opportunities, etc they see for their business.

I like GoPro (the product and company) because this particular camera niche was left open by the big players and the founder and CEO developed it himself. While doing so he gained a particular coolness factor to his brand that I think is sticky. However, I have not done enough research on the financials to really understand this IPO.

Anyone follows illumina? ILMN. This is the company who is trying to do what Elon would like to work on - human genome.

I have a small position and follow it a little. My limited understanding is that ILMN is currently the market leader for this kind of technology, but that doesn't mean that there won't be a serious competitor in future. In particular, I have read that Oxford Nanopore (not publically traded) has technology that is theoretically superior - I think in terms of both cost and accuracy. However, Oxford Nanpore is running far behind schedule in terms of demonstrating that it actually works. If it does though, ILMN could seemingly have serious competition.

The other awesome thing about gopro is it can't easily be replaced by a cellphone.

Almost all point and shoot cameras have been replaced by cellphones. We have one point and shoot and it is an underwater camera and that is the only time we use it is at the beach. Our dslr gets pulled out when we need to zoom or want to get a really high quality shot, which is only a couple of times a month now.

The other awesome thing about gopro is it can't easily be replaced by a cellphone.

Almost all point and shoot cameras have been replaced by cellphones. We have one point and shoot and it is an underwater camera and that is the only time we use it is at the beach. Our dslr gets pulled out when we need to zoom or want to get a really high quality shot, which is only a couple of times a month now.

Your right. When I'm on vacation it's mostly the GoPro I use or cell phone. I rarely use a real camera anymore. The GoPro is great for selfie and groupie pictures too. The fisheye lens really captures the moment.