Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In decades past, Japanese robotics maker Fanuc at times was a significant part of our portfolios, and I certainly have seen them at work in other auto manuf. sites, mostly in Japan. I'll have a talk with some of my brokers, but I suspect they remain a far more liquid way to invest in this sector than Kuka. But thanks for that tip - I'd been wondering whose robots Tesla was using.

It's interesting, though, isn't it, that an ex-Toyota plant has robots that aren't either Fanuc or Yasukawa. Or might it be that TMC installed these German ones? Difficult to believe, as that represents an awful lot of capital that was in short supply not too many quarters ago.

Yes, Fremont started with pretty much an empty building and some used hydraulic presses.

interesting announcement from Sharp today- free form display
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/06/sharp_free_form_display.jpg
sharp_free_form_display.jpg

Internet of Things (IOT)

Anyone know about the internet of things? I know it will be huge, but I am wary of there being a golden opportunity to profit off of it. Three stocks I wrote down for my radar awhile back - RHT, EMC, MCHP. RHT is up 7% today on boosted earnings guidance. http://www.fidelityilf.com/market_news/21Century/pdf/internet-of-things.pdf

I put these on my watchlist 2 weeks ago and have almost never seen a red day since. MCHP particularly has a really nice graph.

Last edited:
STEM- I have been down on this one 20% r so, until today. now around even. The potential is really big...but obviously like most bio-tech's it will take a while to come to fruition, and the odds are stacked against them.

Why StemCells (STEM) Hit a One-Year High Today - TheStreet

I used to have a promising stem cell company in my portfolio. I was lucky to capture a rise from just under $2 to $10. I overheld (held for few years) and sold recently for $6. It is at $4 now.

I kept it so long because when I bought in they were starting stage 2 trials, and all trials had positive results. They are now in stage 3 trials and of course most results are positive, most patients improved with their treatment. I started reading in more detail how they conduct trials and how they interpret results. What I find dubious with these trials is the difficulty of discerning the 'improvement' from the normal course of patients life. Their sampling is miniscule, less than 100.

The stocks that I find valuable as a hedge in my portfolio are established medical supply stocks (not pharma) with steady revenue. They move independently of market and have good dividends. In 2008, when market tanked, these stocks were unaffected.

Anyone know about the internet of things? I know it will be huge, but I am wary of there being a golden opportunity to profit off of it. Three stocks I wrote down for my radar awhile back - RHT, EMC, MCHP. RHT is up 7% today on boosted earnings guidance. http://www.fidelityilf.com/market_news/21Century/pdf/internet-of-things.pdf

I put these on my watchlist 2 weeks ago and have almost never seen a red day since. MCHP particularly has a really nice graph.

Blackberry is back.

http://www.citronresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BlackBerry-and-the-Internet-of-Things-final.pdf

Did Warren Buffet really buy in GM? His investment philosophy as far as I know is to buy well run businesses and not interfere with good management. I don't see how GM fits the bill or how Warren does not see that:confused:

Yes, Buffet was buying GM last year.

Citron shorted tsla last year at $186 before the huge plunge to $120. 12 out of 15 of their short positions are profitable so far.

CitronResearch.com Andrew Left, Executive Editor

1. Yes, Buffet was buying GM last year.

2. Citron shorted tsla last year at $186 before the huge plunge to $120.

3. 12 out of 15 of their short positions are profitable so far.

CitronResearch.com Andrew Left, Executive Editor

1. Everyone makes mistakes. WB can afford his mistakes much easier than me:wink:

2. It baffles me that anyone is trying to make money by shorting, it is like swimming against the current.

The downside and risk of shorting far outweighs the potential gain from shorting, so I have to assume that the habitual shorters derive some extra psychological pay off by shorting.:rolleyes:

3. I can report my trading gains and losses in so many creative ways, each one true and each one showing different outcomes.:biggrin: