Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
quick partial recovery on GTAT when sapphire watch was mentioned .... we will see how far it goes.

Edit: short lived recovery .. back to tanking ...
See previous post today on Corning CEO talking about how gorilla glass better for battery and better for decreased breaking. He mentioned that sapphire was more scratch resistant and better for watches. That was why I posted I thought sapphire on watch and not phone. He did everything but telegraph it

Yep. You have good days and bad days. GTAT got whooped today. BAck to my original buy in price.....Thank goodness for MBLY! Red day overall in my account. I hope APPL does not continue to bring the market down with it in the next few days.

I lost some money today due to GTAT tanking. Even sleepy did excellent research work for GTAT, but my heart reminds me that GTAT is not a stock comparable to TSLA at all. So I only used less than 10% of my holdings (most common shares instead of options) to participate this "gamble". Here is the question I have on GTAT besides reading sleepy's article http://seekingalpha.com/article/247...stor-guide-to-apples-iphone-6-unveiling-event
1) What's the background of GTAT CEO? It's risky that I invested a stock but knowing almost nothing for the CEO;
2) What's the long term plan and vision for GTAT? If there has, I think it'll be no way closer to what TM laid down 10 years ago;
3) How good is the product? I only know saphire is desirable, but what's the quality and cost? Is it better or far better thus no competitor?
4) How loyal is the customer? It looks apparently AAPL is not a loyal customer to GTAT
5) How well the company growth fits the human interest and gets support from government?

By looking back those questions. I feel it's really luck for most of us in this forum to invest TSLA.

I lost some money today due to GTAT tanking. Even sleepy did excellent research work for GTAT, but my heart reminds me that GTAT is not a stock comparable to TSLA at all. So I only used less than 10% of my holdings (most common shares instead of options) to participate this "gamble". Here is the question I have on GTAT besides reading sleepy's article http://seekingalpha.com/article/247...stor-guide-to-apples-iphone-6-unveiling-event
1) What's the background of GTAT CEO? It's risky that I invested a stock but knowing almost nothing for the CEO;
2) What's the long term plan and vision for GTAT? If there has, I think it'll be no way closer to what TM laid down 10 years ago;
3) How good is the product? I only know saphire is desirable, but what's the quality and cost? Is it better or far better thus no competitor?
4) How loyal is the customer? It looks apparently AAPL is not a loyal customer to GTAT
5) How well the company growth fits the human interest and gets support from government?

By looking back those questions. I feel it's really luck for most of us in this forum to invest TSLA.

This site has excellent info and is run by Sleepy: http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/

good questions but you should take this as a lesion learned and ask before investing

I have been using Alibaba from the early days and I am familiar with the platform but still confused about how to value as a company and investment. Anyway at the IPO day there will be a lot of speculators and traders jumping in looking for fast profits. I haven’t decided if I will join the party.
I will share some raw information from my experience using the Alibaba.com which may concern longer tem holders:

• There was a big problem with spam in Alibaba which was constant. Recently it was partially solved, coincidentally with preparation for the IPO. Anyway still the site looks vulnerable in this sense. Considering that the information is not personal but mostly business it may be a concern.
  • Still nobody uses their payment system. Anyway I do see recently a push in this direction. Considering that they can easily influent the sellers it is increasingly offered as payment option. Anyway it’s still not adopted by buyers. This may be a good point for growth.
  • You can see in many aspects the Chinese approach which is not well appreciated worldwide. This is hard to explain if you do not have experience in working with small and mid-size Chinese companies which are majority and it’s really frustrating. For example offering services with no added value to the customer which is recent example for Alibaba.
  • Still a lot of frauds and scams on the site.
Their products are really light years away from the level of Ebay and Amazon, also I do not associate them with innovations or so. They have a lot of work to do in my personal opinion but the opportunity is out there.

Their products are really light years away from the level of Ebay and Amazon
While most of your post seems to be talking about B2B Alibaba platform, the part I quoted seems to be judging Alibaba as a retail platform. And while I do think there is a potential for B2B solution on the Western markets, I'm really sceptical about available room for retail solutions. Well, China itself got it own online retail giants like 360 etc.

Mine question is really more along this lines: are you using Alibaba as a business(directly or indirectly dealing with suppliers you found on the platform), spending more than $10k per month or your experience is more like retail one, with average spending less than $1k per month?

Alibaba.com is B2B platform and the first business of Alibaba Group. The retail sites of the company are taobao.com dedicated to Chinese customers and aliexpress.com – this is worldwide retail store.

With Alibaba.com you rarely can deal with small number of products and small amounts. I have been using it as B2B platform for years but occasionally to contact suppliers of specific products only from China. To be honest Alibaba was useful to me just to collect initial information about the supplier and to contact them for first time. The rest of communication is outside the platform.

In my opinion Alibaba.com is useful mostly for suppliers because most of them are unable to design and build understandable and attractive websites where they can attract foreign customers. Alibaba provides them with unified templates and framework how to present their companies and products within Alibaba domain.

I have compared Alibaba with Amazon and Ebay in terms of quality of the end product, reliability and customer convenience and also because in the mainstream media they do.

I wouldn’t bet on BABA as a long term investment but considering the initial excitement I could bet small amount on short term.

This is what alibaba is developing in US market.

11 Main - Shop now at our hand-selected specialty shops boutiques

The valuation reflect potential for success in US market. If they can get into US market big time, they may have a chance. In the short run, the stock may go vertical as their existing businesses are growing rapidly.

Breakthrough in US may not be easy though. Latecomers will have to spend huge on brand and logistics and many have miserably failed. Remember, Buy.com considered IPO once and were a competition to Amazon.

Gopro just hit $70 in a very turbulent morning of trading. If you bought on the day of their IPO and held you would have 125% gains in less than 4 months. This one is really worth a second look if you have not done much DD. They have a lot of untapped potential still, they have yet to rollout their master plan. I plan to increase my position on weakness.

Gopro just hit $70 in a very turbulent morning of trading. If you bought on the day of their IPO and held you would have 125% gains in less than 4 months. This one is really worth a second look if you have not done much DD. They have a lot of untapped potential still, they have yet to rollout their master plan. I plan to increase my position on weakness.

Yes. I kick myself becuase I bought at IPO and sold after the first frothy days and have watched as it seemed to advance 5% every freaking day ! :wink: Good call on your part. I have made a little $ on calls with it recently and will buy in on a pullback.

What is the 1 paragraph bull case for GoPro? I just don't get it. Anyone can make small cameras. They are clever for being the first, but they have a small moat, since they are combining commodities: small high quality cameras (leveraging the economy of scale from the phone world), arm processors, batteries, flash memory. It's all pretty easy, and in fact lots of people already make products which do these things and other things. They are essentially tablets without a display.

What is the 1 paragraph bull case for GoPro? I just don't get it. Anyone can make small cameras. They are clever for being the first, but they have a small moat, since they are combining commodities: small high quality cameras (leveraging the economy of scale from the phone world), arm processors, batteries, flash memory. It's all pretty easy, and in fact lots of people already make products which do these things and other things. They are essentially tablets without a display.

OK - i'll try.

GoPro has firstly a coolness factor that its competitors will never have. (we know all about coolness factor here at TMC). For example GoPro is already a verb, "I GoPro'd my ride today and filmed amazing footage of....". No one says or will ever say, "I Sony'd my ride today". You can't buy that kind of street cred.

More to your question AustinEV and in one paragraph, GoPro has two things; Hardware and an army of users who create amazing content. Their hardware is capitalized yet they are innovating. A new model is due out this holiday season. It will be one of the most coveted high tech stocking stuffers this season. Just like other tech companies, there will always be a faster, lighter, more feature rich version around the corner. GoPro is also innovating their accessories. For example, their new pet mount allows you to capture footage from your dog’s POV. Who woulda thunk!, and yet customers are buying these accessories and creating never been seen before vantage points. The second key to their growth is their content which has not yet been capitalized. In their IPO Prospectus they explained their vision to create a media company and to capitalize it. It will happen. There will be GoPro channels in many outlets that open advertising opportunities. For example, say you are a Mountain Biking (insert any activity) enthusiast . You will watch the latest film online. You will see sponsors fighting (bidding a-la Google ad-words) for ad space related to that activity, be it for gear, apparel, related tourism, etc. This is the monster they will unlock that will catapult the stock. When the network starts generating revenue is will be big. They will go into every niche that there are user created videos for and sponsors will show up. It will be very targeted and that is exactly what sponsors will pay for.

PS – Their CEO is at first an enthusiast and then entrepreneur. I like this, it speaks to his passion. (we too know about this at TMC) He has also recruited a solid management team.

Last edited:
OK - i'll try.

GoPro has firstly a coolness factor that its competitors will never have. (we know all about coolness factor here at TMC). For example GoPro is already a verb, "I GoPro'd my ride today and filmed amazing footage of....". No one says or will ever say, "I Sony'd my ride today". You can't buy that kind of street cred.

More to your question AustinEV and in one paragraph, GoPro has two things; Hardware and an army of users who create amazing content. Their hardware is capitalized yet they are innovating. A new model is due out this holiday season. It will be one of the most coveted high tech stocking stuffers this season. Just like other tech companies, there will always be a faster, lighter, more feature rich version around the corner. GoPro is also innovating their accessories. For example, their new pet mount allows you to capture footage from your dog’s POV. Who woulda thunk!, and yet customers are buying these accessories and creating never been seen before vantage points. The second key to their growth is their content which has not yet been capitalized. In their IPO Prospectus they explained their vision to create a media company and to capitalize it. It will happen. There will be GoPro channels in many outlets that open advertising opportunities. For example, say you are a Mountain Biking (insert any activity) enthusiast . You will watch the latest film online. You will see sponsors fighting (bidding a-la Google ad-words) for ad space related to that activity, be it for gear, apparel, related tourism, etc. This is the monster they will unlock that will catapult the stock. When the network starts generating revenue is will be big. They will go into every niche that there are user created videos for and sponsors will show up. It will be very targeted and that is exactly what sponsors will pay for.

PS – Their CEO is at first an enthusiast and then entrepreneur. I like this, it speaks to his passion. (we too know about this at TMC) He has also recruited a solid management team.

That helps. I suppose bears bring up the "flip" camera that cisco bought and fumbled. Another small solid state camera product (without the outdoorsy optimization for sure).

The channel/content thing kinda makes sense, but that seems like it would get old in a hurry...