Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Just curious what others keep their Tesla's charged to at home and why. I assume if you drive your car daily I'm sure it would be a higher percentage like 80 or 90%, depending on the distance you need to drive. But what if you only drive your car say, a few times a week?

Last edited:
Since my first Tesla all my cars have beeb at 50%, left on the charger, unless I a m going on a long trip, when my normal maximum is 90%. Were I to have an LFP of course I’d follow recommendations and keep it at 100%. In any case, as chemistries change best practices do also.

Reactions: RMannino and MDM323
Daily commute of 100+ miles. Current routine is to charge to 80%. Generally SOC is around 45% after returning home.
Initially my routine was to charge to 90% every other day with a SOC of <20% before charging. I saw a decrease in battery range via TeslaFi, so I changed to the current routine. This allowed for most of the range to be recovered.

My objective is to never charge at home as I get free charging at the office. I set my SOC to 90% at the office. I do not go in every day so if it gets a little low I charge at home to whatever level I need to ensure I get the most from the office. When I need to charge at home I typically go only to 60-70%.

Currently getting 80% of my charging from the office

M3LR - 80% (lighter, more efficient)
MYP - 90% (wife’s daily driver)
I Plug in usually one overnight…whichever is predicted to be required more the next day.

Daily use can vary from 50km to 200km/day per car depending on kids soccer ⚽️ during evenings.

Truthfully I could reduce those 2 numbers to 70% and 80% during spring/summer season as range is far more efficient.

For the last 4yrs I've been charging to 60% SOC, but usually because of my fat fingers, it's 58%. I drive around 30miles, so when I get home it's 50%. Then I can toggle the meter and see whether 50% is 155miles, to know if there's any degradation. My 2018 started with 310 EPA-rated miles. It still has 310 EPA-rated miles.
IMG_8181.jpeg

As you can see, I did the calculation from the Consumption chart and it calculates 75.6kWh. Of course, there's quite a bit of rounding going on. SMT is showing 76.4kWh.

My SOC is about 6% when I got home, last Friday, because I had just gone skiing, and driven 170miles, which is pretty good for starting with just 60% SOC.
IMG_8133.jpeg

I put a line on the first chart showing that I had just gotten a software update, and it fixed the Consumption error that has been going on for a while. My consumption figures are back to normal, where before, you could see how much higher the consumption was, when it was in fact, wrong.

Its not about how often you drive per week, since the car is always plugged in. Its how much range you want to have at any given moment. Battery age, not charge level, is going to be the biggest factor in how much range your battery pack can maintain per charge. Its seems strange to deprive yourself the range that you bought the car for in the first place. Especially if its to keep range as high as possible.

Deep discharges hurt the pack more than maintaining 90 percent ever will. Play it safe and charge to 90!

I keep it at 55% and have no actual idea why !
Yes: lower storage SOC leads to reduced dendrites.
Yes: running to very low SOC can do the same, but to a lesser extent than high SOC.
Yes: supercharging is not great, nor are temperature extreme's

Why... I ask? We only drive 10K miles a year - calendar ageing will be MUCH more of a factor.

Metal and money - as a new owner we used to concern ourselves. Now I drive it down to 1%, or charge to 100% with no concern.