Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles,
If the image of the battery displays ‘50%’ and ‘100%’: Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also regularly charge your vehicle to 100% . If your vehicle has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
For Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles,
If the image of the battery displays ‘50%’ and ‘100%’: Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also regularly charge your vehicle to 100% . If your vehicle has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

I'm guessing that this is specific to LFP batteries. I don't think all of Tesla's RWD vehicles have LFP batteries. Definitely not older Model S or the original Model 3. Maybe the current Model 3 RWD cars do? I'm not sure.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
FYI - July battery report calculates average SOC is 56%.

1659415911319.png

Question : What is the safest option for battery longivity on my daily routine of 30% energy usage ?

1. Charging everyday from 40% to 70% for my daily routine OR
2. Charging every 2nd day from 20% to 80%
Home charging.

From a friend with great knowledge of batteries, he told me the 2nd option, less charging is best.
What do you think ?

Question : What is the safest option for battery longivity on my daily routine of 30% energy usage ?

Home charging.

From a friend with great knowledge of batteries, he told me the 2nd option, less charging is best.
What do you think ?
I don't know the answer and flip flop between both the choices you present. You can monitor battery health with the Tessie app. You can see in the screen capture that my battery has lost 3.8% in the six months I've owned the 2022 Model S Long Range. The S has five thousand miles on it. Only once did I charge up to 97%. The rest of the time it's charged to 89%. It's been supercharged just once, the rest of the time its charged at home with a Tesla Wall Connector. Most of the time its charged every other day usually from a SOC above 60%. If we go on a day trip where SOC goes down to less than 40% it gets charged right away. I left it once for 14 days and it lost only 9% charge.
Screenshot_20220830-070851.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic_White

Home charging.

What do you think ?
Lower charge limit and lower average depth of discharge is always better. If he's only using 30% per day, then 50% charge limit and charge every day, from 20% to 50%.

I checked my battery by looking at the average consumption and projected range in the Energy section of the UI, and I calculate that my battery has around 78 kWh worth of usable energy. So I basically have almost no noticeable degradation after a year and a half. I set my charge limit to 50% and charge every day.

Lower charge limit and lower average depth of discharge is always better. If he's only using 30% per day, then 50% charge limit and charge every day, from 20% to 50%.

I checked my battery by looking at the average consumption and projected range in the Energy section of the UI, and I calculate that my battery has around 78 kWh worth of usable energy. So I basically have almost no noticeable degradation after a year and a half. I set my charge limit to 50% and charge every day.
Have you ever charged to greater than 90% or discharged to less than 10%?

I don't know the answer and flip flop between both the choices you present. You can monitor battery health with the Tessie app. You can see in the screen capture that my battery has lost 3.8% in the six months I've owned the 2022 Model S Long Range. The S has five thousand miles on it. Only once did I charge up to 97%. The rest of the time it's charged to 89%. It's been supercharged just once, the rest of the time its charged at home with a Tesla Wall Connector. Most of the time its charged every other day usually from a SOC above 60%. If we go on a day trip where SOC goes down to less than 40% it gets charged right away. I left it once for 14 days and it lost only 9% charge. View attachment 846997
I've got about the same time and miles as yours. In the Tessie app it shows 0.5% degradation. I keep my average SoC about 50%. I have maybe 700 mile of supercharger use. I was only using the supercharger to charge from about 20-50% on that trip.

I normally just keep my charge level set at 50% and charge up back to 50 as soon as I can unless it is very hot out. Otherwise I charge in the evening when it is cooler. I only charge above 50% if I anticipate coming back home with less than 15% or need a bit more of a buffer.

Reactions: P85d-2022
I've got about the same time and miles as yours. In the Tessie app it shows 0.5% degradation. I keep my average SoC about 50%. I have maybe 700 mile of supercharger use. I was only using the supercharger to charge from about 20-50% on that trip.

I normally just keep my charge level set at 50% and charge up back to 50 as soon as I can unless it is very hot out. Otherwise I charge in the evening when it is cooler. I only charge above 50% if I anticipate coming back home with less than 15% or need a bit more of a buffer.
Here's a graph from Tessie comparing fleet average to my battery.
Screenshot_20220912-092214.jpg
Screenshot_20220912-092251.jpg

@DayTrippin, can you show your Tessie battery health graph.

View attachment 852789

This is the last one I ran.
I just measured mine with this app because I’m curious. I don’t think my reading is right so I’ll do it again. Anyways, background on my car it’s a bit of a unicorn because the former owner didn’t drive much and I think he never charged high (over 85%). Anyways it’s a late 2015 build with 6337 miles when this reading was taken. I don’t think it’s accurate as I said.
08167465-AF7D-44E5-BB2A-F0BFE7CD981C.png

Last edited:
I just measured mine with this app because I’m curious. I don’t think my reading is right so I’ll do it again. Anyways, background oh my car it’s a bit of a unicorn because the former owner didn’t drive much and I think he never charged high (over 85%). Anyways it’s a late 2015 build with 6337 miles when this reading was taken. I don’t think it’s accurate as I said. View attachment 864383
Wow, you found the fountain of battery youth!

• Funny
Reactions: Fiver and tesluv108
Mine started to take a dive suddenly. Lost 7.5% in 16k miles. That sounds hight to me. Initially I used to charge it to 80%, then to 90% per the manufacturer recommendation. I have used fast charges only a few times. Less than 10.

IMG_1960720F52A4-1.jpeg

Mine started to take a dive suddenly. Lost 7.5% in 16k miles. That sounds hight to me. Initially I used to charge it to 80%, then to 90% per the manufacturer recommendation.

The manufacturer (Tesla) does not recommend to charge to 90% specifically.
The slider is 50-90% and 90% is the maximum “daily” charge.

There is no Tesla recommendation to better charge to 90% than 80%.

Tesla does not use the recommendation to minimize degradation. Its most certain a combo of acceptable degradation and having a useble range.

Lowest degradation will be at low SOC, but if Tesla did recommend that we should charge to 50% or even lower they probably would get sued for selling a 300mile car that only can be driven 150miles, or less.

80-90% SOC during a lot of time will degrade the battery noticeble. 80-90% is causing about the same calendar aging as 100% SOC.

The car will (most probably) stay inside the >70% capacity after eight years anyway.

Calendar aging lessens with time and is quite small after about five years.

So using 80-90% SOC is not a problem condidering the warranty etc.

But if someone is worried about degradation, 80-90% will not cause the lowest degradation possible.

Using as low SOC as possible and charging often, preferably just before the car is to be driven could cut the degradation in half.

This means having 5% instead of 10% or 10% instead of 20% after some years.
For some it doesnt matter, for some the lesser loss of range is important.

Others can not charge at home and do not have the possibility to use low SOC or charge just before the drive. In this case, we need to accept the degradation as a normal sequence of the charging habits.