Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires should I replace my OEM ones with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 18k miles on my M3P and noticed during full throttle from a complete stop traction control kicks in. Thinking it’s time to swap out the OEM tires. Should I stick with 235 35 20 or go with 245 35 20?
& has anyone tried out the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport’s ?

I have about 18k miles on my M3P and noticed during full throttle from a complete stop traction control kicks in. Thinking it’s time to swap out the OEM tires. Should I stick with 235 35 20 or go with 245 35 20?
Generally folks seem pretty happy with the OEM equivalent Pilot Sports based on everything I read on this forum... they also test well and have great reviews on tire rack. Seems like a solid option albeit an expensive one.

I stayed with the stock size and got the Falken Azenis FK510. I like them as well as my OEM Michelins for the 1000 miles or so that I put on them so far (especially at half the price of the Michelins). If you want to save some money and are in a warm climate (your profile says Los Angeles so that qualifies) I think they are a solid option.

You can search the forum and this has been discussed quite a bit so it may be worth your time to read through a few of the previous threads on the matter.

Reactions: rrfitness
@rrfitness I ran the Bridgestone Potenza Sport for a year+ on my M3P in 245/45R18 on 18x8.5" wheels and was very happy with them. Big upgrade over the OEM Pirelli PZ4, which were kind of mediocre. Easily more grip dry and wet. Responsiveness felt just as good despite the taller sidewalls. And the Potenza Sport didn't squeal like the PZ4 did when pushed hard.

The Potenza Sport were a bit louder in casual driving than the foam-lined Tesla OEM PZ4. Not super loud, I've had much louder performance tires on past cars, but there was some difference. The foam-lined Tesla spec PZ4 were very quiet as performance tires go. (I don't know if the regular PZ4 without a foam liner are as quiet.)

I swapped out my stock wheels and tires at 1k miles, so my PZ4 vs Potenza Sport comparison was with fresh tires.

I'd certainly recommend the Potenza Sport for a performance-minded driver, and most likely I'll buy them again for my next set of summers. If I get anything else, it'll likely be the Goodyear SuperCar 3. That's a street-friendly 240TW street+track dual use tire, in a similar vein as the old Bridgestone RE-11, or so I've heard. The RE-11 were an awesome tire for their day, truly great for dual use. I don't do track days anymore but I still kind of miss that category of tire.

There's also a chance I'll try the Michelin PS4S next, just because I haven't yet. Our old Tesla came with the PS2 predecessor and they were a very good street tire for their day. I really liked the sturdy, responsive sidewalls of the Potenza Sport though, and I think Michelin tends to err towards slightly softer sidewalls. (No right or wrong there, just a matter of taste.)

@rrfitness For sizing, here's how I'd pick:

1) First decide if you care about getting a Tesla OEM tire with the foam liner. If you do, then for 20" wheels on a Model 3 it'll have to be 235/35R20, there are no other Tesla OEM choices with the right outer diameter.

2) If you do want OEM Tesla spec foam liner, then for 20" on a Model 3 your only options are the Michelin PS4S (original M3P OEM tire) or Pirelli PZ4 (what newer M3P come with). Between those it would be an easy choice for me - I'd go for the PS4S over the PZ4. I haven't used the PS4S myself but friends I trust have and say they're good, and they're also widely regarded as a better tire on these forums. The OEM PZ4 were kind of mediocre in my opinion, I felt like I wanted more grip (and I got it with the Potenza Sport).

3) If you don't care about OEM Tesla spec (foam liner), then I'd say next decide between Potenza Sport or PS4S (assuming you're focused on ~ 300 TW "max performance" category). I don't think there's a wrong choice between them. My guess is the Potenza Sport are slightly more responsive, while the PS4S ride slightly better, but probably not a drastic difference either way, especially not in 20" sizes with ultra short sidewalls.

4) If you decide Potenza Sport, then for the OEM 20x9" Uberturbine wheels I'd go with either 245/35R20 or even 255/35R20. I would *not* bother with 235/35R20, that's weirdly narrow for a 9" wide wheel, you can even see how the OEM PZ4 are stretched in that size. Normally I'd go with 255 for 9" wide wheel BUT 255/35R20 is pushing the limits of rubbing the front knuckle in this car. From reading these forums, some tires fit in that size, but others rub. I think *typically* it's allseasons with their taller tread that rub, but there's still a risk with summers. So 245/35R20 seems like a safer bet.

5) If you decide PS4S, I might lean slightly (just very slightly) towards the Tesla-spec 235/35R20. Supposedly it's wider than a regular 235/35R20 especially in the tread. But if you specifically don't want the foam liner, or can't find the Tesla spec in stock, then I would go for either 245/35R20 or 255/35R20 for regular PS4S. Same caveat as above with 255/35R20. I'd probably just get 245/35R20 to be safe but really up to you, some people have had success with 255/35R20.

Reactions: reds2k1
I replaced my 2021 3LR AWD mxm4's with Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus tires at 30k. I corrected the bad factory wheel alignment after installation and now have 17k miles on them. They have better wet/dry grip, are a bit noiser but are wearing evenly and are still at 8/32. They are much better tires than the stock mxm4's while sacrificing a bit of tire noise and a tiny bit of battery range.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I'm very happy with Vredestein HyperTrac all season in 255/30/20. They also has 245s I think. Better rim protection for sure. Not sure about range because I swapped with less than 300 miles since I wanted all season tires.

I'm not happy with the quietness of these tires, but they have one big advantage: They are wider than the rims and thus prevent curb rash.

Screenshot_20230126-175202_Gmail.jpg

Reactions: Blueskies123