TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What tires specifically come with?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by tide, Dec 23, 2015.

1. tide

tide Member

Picking mine up in 4 days, but trying to figure out a trip to Tahoe a few days after that (snow). What are the specific tires that come with the Model X, 22"? Anyone know? Spent an hour with Google and not much on specifics.

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

The 22"s come with these. They claim to be all-season tires but I would not trust them in anything more than a dusting. They won't turn to rock when the weather gets cold though.

3. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

The two MXs that I have seen, P90D and P90DL, both had staggered tires, 20" X 245 and 20" X 265, I believe they were. Does anyone know whether the 90D and 70D also come with staggered tires? What is the advantage of staggered tires? Thanks

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

While this may have been the case in the not so distant past, I just noticed a change in the Design Studio that says the P90D comes with summer tires on all wheel confirgurations. The 70D and 90D still list all seasons across the board.

Nobody knows for sure yet since no 90D's or 70D's have come off the line. It is assumed so though since, as you've noticed, even the 20" wheels are wider in the rear.

Advantage is more grip in the rear. Perhaps to bias the vehicle to understeer (front loses grip first) over oversteer (rear breaks loose first). Which is safer for most everyone.

5. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

goneskiian: Thanks for the explanation.

6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I just saw that earlier today. Interesting change, I wonder what prompted it. I'll be curious to see what comes on our car when it finally arrives. It doesn't really matter to me, I've already ordered a set of Nokian WRG3, but it might inform some as to when the change happened.

7. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Picked mine up yesterday. 20" wheels came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3, which Tire Rack lists as a summer tire.

8. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Are they staggered tires, 20" X 245 and 20" X 265
    ?

(was sure the 20" had the 4 tires same size)

9. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

staggered

10. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Are all these tires directional as well as staggered front and back? Basically no rotating the tires then huh?

11. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

I don't think they are directional. The outside of the tire is labeled "outside" but I don't think there is any reason you can't swap the lefts and rights.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Well that was quick. I just noticed that P's would get summer tires today. Good to see the design studio is showing accurate info!

13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The Model-X Store now lists a 19" winter tire package. Probably better to have a summer/winter combo rather than the all-seasons.