Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Any advice welcome on the following situation:

2013 Model S 60 - 132,000 miles
Good condition followed all best practices of charging, etc...
Take vehicle into servicing of brakes and tire rotation in November
Notice that night that range has been limited by ~40 miles from 206 to 167 (likely due to the infamous SW update)
Next day car does not charge and I get the battery charging is limited error
Takes 4 weeks to get an appointment (meanwhile, car does not charge and is losing a couple miles charge every day)
Bring car in, get a phone call notifying me that the battery has failed, and is not covered under warranty due to mileage limit crossed in May
Approx. 18k still owed on loan.
Cost for repairing battery/install $11k

Sorry to hear that - major bummer.

Unfortunately there’s not a lot of magic available here. Your choices are basically pony up the $11k for the battery, or don’t and then sell off the car for parts. You MAY be able to cover your $18k loan that way, or at least come close.

Reactions: KJD and IdaX
What years did Tesla do the unlimited mileage on the battery warranty? I thought 2013 was covered in that.

EDIT:
I just looked at my account and the warranty now says 8 years or 120000 miles, which is not what I had when I got my car. It used to be 8 years, unlimited miles. This really needs to be disputed with Tesla. Apparently the original 60 had the limitation on mileage.

Last edited:
What years did Tesla do the unlimited mileage on the battery warranty? I thought 2013 was covered in that.

EDIT:
I just looked at my account and the warranty now says 8 years or 120000 miles, which is not what I had when I got my car. It used to be 8 years, unlimited miles. This really needs to be disputed with Tesla.
I just learned that this is apparently a mistake on the website. I'm in the same situation, and a lot of other people are.

EDIT:
I just looked at my account and the warranty now says 8 years or 120000 miles, which is not what I had when I got my car. It used to be 8 years, unlimited miles. This really needs to be disputed with Tesla.

As others pointed out, just a website error. I took the following screenshots from Google and Tesla website yesterday and unlimited miles is still implied.

Screenshot_20191208-105201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191208-105247_Samsung Internet.jpg

What is the warranty on the $11k replacement?

$11k to save the entire car seems like a good investment. I would want to know the warranty and potential to get upgraded to a 75 (which definitely has happened with some repairs). Finally, play nice and ask Manager to request some goodwill from corporate.

According to the Tesla warranty page 4 year or 50k miles. :eek:

I would hope that it would be an upgrade to a 75, or 90, kWh pack. (The one YouTuber that had a 60 kWh pack fail, outside of warranty, had it replaced free of charge and they upgraded him to a 75kWh pack. Again no charge. But that may have been before the service centers understood that the original Model S 60s had a limited warranty.)

@marlonjm2k please do keep us updated with any more information you get or how you end up resolving this.

Reactions: FutureShock

EDIT:
I just looked at my account and the warranty now says 8 years or 120000 miles, which is not what I had when I got my car. It used to be 8 years, unlimited miles. This really needs to be disputed with Tesla. Apparently the original 60 had the limitation on mileage.
You 100% sure about this? I owned a 2013 Model S 60 and don't recall ever reading a 120k mile limit on the powertrain. I'm pretty sure that it was 8-year unlimited mile just like the other packs. I think that the only one that didn't have that was the original 40 because it was made prior to the warranty being extended to 8-years and unlimited mile powertrain and later it was extended to that car too.