Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to look for at CPO delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ask them to bring the following:
- A copy of the completed inspection checklist - it is quite extensive
- A copy of the specs for the alignment
- A "Due Bill" form. This is the legal document that says what they owe you at time of delivery. Be clear with them that you are going to inspect the car carefully and any items that need to be corrected will be written down and provided to you on the form. Make sure you check all the glass and the insides of the rear tires as this is where the excessive wear shows. Look for door dings, misaligned panels, excess wear on the inside, etc.

With regard to getting things corrected, I would think you have a few options: If the issues are significant, negotiate with them to have a Ranger come to you to perform the repairs - no charge. Or you could hold the items until you have to bring it is for the annual service. I'm assuming at some point you will have to bring it in for service.

This is great information. Picking up my CPO 2013 85 in 11 days (not that I am counting, or anything...) and I am quite nervous about taking a vehicle into possession for that kind of money and for never having seen/test-driven it (I test drove the S 85, but not this particular CPO).

Congratulations! Now take delivery of your CPO with eyes wide open. Remember, they are experts at delivering cars and do it daily, you, I am guessing do not buy cars as often. I'd say they are trying to be efficient in the process and need to move X numbers of cars through daily, not trying to give you the bum rush.

Depending on the SC, you may be brought into in a nice air coonditiined room with your car topped with a bow. They grab a picture of you in front of the car as the proud owner, which you should be. Psychologically, you have taken ownership. They just captured it for you to post on Facebook!

Then, they will ask you to sign papers, legally becoming the owner, and depending on the state, there may be no cooling off period. This, should make you take pause, and say "no, I want to go over the car myself prior to signing for it." This is the step that wrecks havoc with their delivery timeline. They want to have you sign papers walk around the car, pair your phone to it, show you how things work and send you on your way all in 45 to 60 minutes while collecting $45,000 or more dollars.

I'm not trying to be negative, just pointing out that they are being efficient, and moving any problems from sales to service like a traditional car dealership.

Call your DS the day before and tell him that you want take time to inspect it before signing papers and that you don't want to affect any later deliveries that they have scheduled, and that he should have the car available for inspection in a service or public area, not in delivery. I know you do not want to appear to be rude, but you really need to insist on inspection prior to signing.

I'd bring a clipboard, and any of the great preinspection lists that are online for MS, and write down any and everything you find. Then, you can sit down to sign papers and have the DS put in writing what they will, or won't be repair for you. Then you can decide to sign or not.

If I had done what I am suggesting here, I'd still have the same MS, but it would have saved me a couple of weeks without my car, because of service visits. I can only imagine that sales can walk into service and tell them that these 4 or so items have to be addressed in order to complete a sale, thus the sales department comes before any other customers.

It may be hard, but don't drive away in a Tesla with a service appointment in hand. It's the one extra you don't want thrown into the deal!

If you are wondering what chewed up two weeks of service visits, it was a faulty passenger airbag and rear hatch mis-alignment. In essence the passenger airbag turned off whenever a passenger sat in it, and on when they were out. The idiot light made me aware of it, but took a couple of days to process. I assumed it was a setting like some cars have to lock the airbag off for car seats etc., but no. I called the 800 service number to ask how to turn that off and the operator checked the car/logs while I wa driving andd asked if I could pull over. Very disconcerting, and an hour later I had a P85+ loaner. It took a couple of weeks for parts and all is good now, but it should have been caught during inspection.

Good luck!

Thank you! This is such a great list of items to look for. Very appreciative for your post and look forward to making a complete list to send over to my DS today. Pick up is the 27th, so hopefully they have time to really correct the issues all at once.

I must say that I was impressed with the job the detailing team did. I enjoy detailing my cars and inspected it thoroughly during delivery.

Spoke to the detail guy, they clay barred the entire car and applied sealant...truly looks Like New inside and out. I didn't feel any particles sticking out the paint, which told me that they did clay it.

All I really had to do was apply a coat of carnauba when I got home ...for the extra pop.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
Thank you! This is such a great list of items to look for. Very appreciative for your post and look forward to making a complete list to send over to my DS today. Pick up is the 27th, so hopefully they have time to really correct the issues all at once.
Remember, It will be exciting. Try not to leave with a service appointment. They have had a couple of weeks or more to make the car right prior to your picking it up.

There is a difference between a perfect 3 year old car, and a 3 year old car that still has correctable maintenance and cosmetic issues. Tesla should be able to deal with the later.

Have fun.

Remember, It will be exciting. Try not to leave with a service appointment. They have had a couple of weeks or more to make the car right prior to your picking it up.

There is a difference between a perfect 3 year old car, and a 3 year old car that still has correctable maintenance and cosmetic issues. Tesla should be able to deal with the later.

Have fun.

I have already sent my DS an email with a list of things that I want to have during pickup and that I would prefer to have an 'inspection ready' vehicle opposed to a 'bow-topped vehicle'. I will celebrate while on the road.... :) Again, I appreciate the heads up and everyones input on the CPO pick up.

Fingers crossed.

T-11 days...

I picked up my 2014 S60 CPO on Thursday. Beautiful car and feels like new despite nearly 52K miles... A few signs that it is "used" but mostly feels brand new. Unreal. LOVE that blue.

How and when should I expect it to take for the range to adjust or reset to my driving habits? Some of the testing done at the SC spiked the kWh/mi to over 700 briefly, after weeks of 0 miles driven, so the calculations need to normalize. I'm wondering how long to expect before I worry about battery degradation... For example, at delivery it was charged at 100% but showed about 140 miles. Now at 90% it shows 165 after a couple of days of driving.

Thanks.

She's here and it is everything I thought it would be.

Attachments

• IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 319
We took delivery of our CPO on Friday. I'm very happy with it. I did use the new model s delivery list, and added some items that people on the forum had noted. The car looks like new. There are a few dings on the interior door trim, but nothing I can't live with. They replaced the drive unit, brakes and rotors, a few wheels, a couple tires, a door handle and repaired a bunch of rock chips.

We took delivery of our CPO on Friday. I'm very happy with it. I did use the new model s delivery list, and added some items that people on the forum had noted. The car looks like new. There are a few dings on the interior door trim, but nothing I can't live with. They replaced the drive unit, brakes and rotors, a few wheels, a couple tires, a door handle and repaired a bunch of rock chips.
Congrats! When I asked my Service advisor if the drive unit was replaced and he wouldn't disclose that information, something about previous service records are not disclosed.
Did your Pre-owned advisor provide you the drive unit replacement info?

Enjoy!

I took delivery on Thursday but got almost zero information about what was done during reconditioning. Was told it was mostly cosmetic... Car feels and looks nearly new but I would like to know more about the state of the major systems in the car.

Congrats! When I asked my Service advisor if the drive unit was replaced and he wouldn't disclose that information, something about previous service records are not disclosed.
Did your Pre-owned advisor provide you the drive unit replacement info?

Enjoy!

I was told that they won't release previous service records for privacy issues. I didn't push back that much because I don't really care as long as my car works, but it seems like something that would be easy to not include or redact. They also must have forgotten that they sent me a copy of the original title with the previous owner's name and address.

I was told that they won't release previous service records for privacy issues. I didn't push back that much because I don't really care as long as my car works, but it seems like something that would be easy to not include or redact. They also must have forgotten that they sent me a copy of the original title with the previous owner's name and address.

For me, they left the previous owner's insurance card and registration in the glove compartment...

Tesla is weird about this.... I asked and asked and got nowhere on this front. I imagine they do not want to feed fuel to the fire about failures of any kind. Verse my used Toyota Land Cruiser, the dealer typed the VIN, hit print and handed me 35+ pages of service records without even blinking, and it really helped. Then again, the V8 on a Land Cruiser has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 90,000 miles or so. Those service records really helped in establishing my new maintenance plan.

But, realistically, other than failures, what do you replace on a Tesla? Brakes, tires & windshield wipers?

But, realistically, other than failures, what do you replace on a Tesla? Brakes, tires & windshield wipers?

I was trying to figure out what battery pack was in my car. The short version of the story is that when considering putting down a deposit on my car, Brent (CPO adviser) told me the car had a B pack. Well the other day while washing the car I looked at the sticker under the wheel and it says A pack. I call the SC to figure out if Brent was wrong or the battery was replaced and the old sticker left on. I originally asked for the service records to see whether it listed battery replacement and I got the above response. They eventually told me that it was actually an A pack. I believe that it was probably an honest mistake by Brent, (and I suppose I should have looked at the sticker on delivery) but I am a little annoyed, so the reason for not disclosing the service records probably irritates me a little more than it normally would.

Reactions: Atlantan