Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to look for at CPO delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was one of the items I checked - and mine was a B. Odd part was, the car wad built 9/13, but the battery shows 10/13. Replacement? Did it take a few weeks to put the battery in? Was it a 9/30/13 vs 10/1/13 kinda thing??

I had a few minor rock chips, but one major one that I was told they couldn't do anything about. It was bad enough to leave a small dent. It was touched up prior to having XPEL put on the front end, but is still visible. The place that installed the XPEL is having a dent removal guy coming out to take care of this tiny dent as well as two small door dings. The one item I was disappointed in was the windshield. Didn't notice on delivery, but driving while facing the sun it is apparent how many pock marks are in the windshield. A few of them are large enough that I fear they could crack. When I bring it in to my local SC, I'll see if there is anything that they can do about it. I'll update after my 7/7/16 appointment.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
Tesla is weird about this.... I asked and asked and got nowhere on this front. I imagine they do not want to feed fuel to the fire about failures of any kind. Verse my used Toyota Land Cruiser, the dealer typed the VIN, hit print and handed me 35+ pages of service records without even blinking, and it really helped. Then again, the V8 on a Land Cruiser has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 90,000 miles or so. Those service records really helped in establishing my new maintenance plan.

But, realistically, other than failures, what do you replace on a Tesla? Brakes, tires & windshield wipers?
Though I have heard the Tesla people say that the Drive Units are built to last a million miles...Drive Unit failure is a failure I would be worried about.

I was trying to figure out what battery pack was in my car. The short version of the story is that when considering putting down a deposit on my car, Brent (CPO adviser) told me the car had a B pack. Well the other day while washing the car I looked at the sticker under the wheel and it says A pack. I call the SC to figure out if Brent was wrong or the battery was replaced and the old sticker left on. I originally asked for the service records to see whether it listed battery replacement and I got the above response. They eventually told me that it was actually an A pack. I believe that it was probably an honest mistake by Brent, (and I suppose I should have looked at the sticker on delivery) but I am a little annoyed, so the reason for not disclosing the service records probably irritates me a little more than it normally would.
Agreed, if I had service records, I would be inclined to keep the car longer. I did get a B pack, part # 1014114-00-B, I understand that an improvement to the cooling system of the battery pack was made starting with the B packs that allowed for faster Supercharging at 120kW or higher. Next time I am at the SC will have to pay attention to this number.

That was one of the items I checked - and mine was a B. Odd part was, the car wad built 9/13, but the battery shows 10/13. Replacement? Did it take a few weeks to put the battery in? Was it a 9/30/13 vs 10/1/13 kinda thing??

I had a few minor rock chips, but one major one that I was told they couldn't do anything about. It was bad enough to leave a small dent. It was touched up prior to having XPEL put on the front end, but is still visible. The place that installed the XPEL is having a dent removal guy coming out to take care of this tiny dent as well as two small door dings. The one item I was disappointed in was the windshield. Didn't notice on delivery, but driving while facing the sun it is apparent how many pock marks are in the windshield. A few of them are large enough that I fear they could crack. When I bring it in to my local SC, I'll see if there is anything that they can do about it. I'll update after my 7/7/16 appointment.

Same few issues with mine. And I held my delivery to the exact date/time, and of course like all dealerships, they were behind. In order to get me the car on the 27th they had to forego the interior detailing. The seats were dirty and so was the A-post material. I went home and detailed it to a suitable standard, but I have a due bill stating that I have a detailing included in my checkup (or whenever I schedule it).

The exterior had small rock chips that had been touched up. Honestly w/ 37K miles and 3 years on my car - I expected that. I didn't buy a new car so I didn't expect new. I had a new drive unit and new tires installed (wasn't 'up to par' per my DS), and the car charges quickly and holds a charge quite well. Honestly, I couldn't be happier.

My next Tesla will be new. I am hooked and never going back.

She's here and it is everything I thought it would be.

Congrats! Good to see more Model S in the area. Don't forget to waive! I've had mine for about a month, here it is:

P85.JPG

The one item I was disappointed in was the windshield. Didn't notice on delivery, but driving while facing the sun it is apparent how many pock marks are in the windshield. A few of them are large enough that I fear they could crack.
Yes, it looks like 3 year old Tesla's windshields do suffer. Mine is a pain when going into the sun too. Tesla has fixed many things for me over the last 8 months, and after my last service visit it is practically a new 2013 car, except the windshield.

At some point, I'll bite the bullet and pay to have it replaced since I consider it reasonable wear and couldn't in good faith ask them to replace it for free. Obviously a serious chip or hairline crack at delivery would be different.

What is great about Tesla service is that they have addressed every single noise issue and made it better. Rear hatch drone - fixed, driver side window air leak - fixed, brake booster and pump - fixed, squeaks and rattles - fixed, front passenger air bar - fixed. It took a a few service visits, partly because things like the brake booster wouldn't always make its obnoxious noise when in service, and some of the rattles I thought couldn't be fixed. But every time I went in I'd nicely comment on a noise or squeak and it would come back without it. The car is virtually silent except for actual road/tire noise. It is completely different from when I bought it.

I am incredibly happy with it, and Tesla service.

So if you are one of those that I have read hear that just turns their music up to 10 to mask a noise, you may want to schedule a trip to service. They can do wonders, it just may take a few visits to get it done.

My next Tesla will be new. I am hooked and never going back.
So will mine - it's the Model 3 I have reserved (going to my wife). She currently has a Focus EV, and we're getting rid of my Fusion plug-in hybrid. Goal is to NEVER buy gas, oil, etc again. I was at an auto parts store over the weekend for license plate screws and felt quite a bit of joy knowing that I'll never have to walk down the oil/fuel additive/oil additive/radiator fluid isle again!! :)

The whole windshield thing is nice to know especially since the Safelite cost is $1500+ out-of-pocket (pricey windshield) - a shame as I've paid out-of-pocket on two previous cars to have windshields replaced for that issue (but both cars - BMWS - were $200 and $400 respectively).

I was trying to figure out what battery pack was in my car. The short version of the story is that when considering putting down a deposit on my car, Brent (CPO adviser) told me the car had a B pack. Well the other day while washing the car I looked at the sticker under the wheel and it says A pack. I call the SC to figure out if Brent was wrong or the battery was replaced and the old sticker left on. I originally asked for the service records to see whether it listed battery replacement and I got the above response. They eventually told me that it was actually an A pack. I believe that it was probably an honest mistake by Brent, (and I suppose I should have looked at the sticker on delivery) but I am a little annoyed, so the reason for not disclosing the service records probably irritates me a little more than it normally would.

I've been reading the wealth of information on TMC for about 3 weeks now and I'm just now learning about the differences in A & B 85kwh battery packs. The Model S 85 I'll be taking delivery of in the next couple weeks might have been built in the time period that Tesla used up the last A version 85kwh batteries (March-May 2013). I plan on taking a number of long road trips with the car and therefore would prefer to have a B pack.

I know everyone's situation is different but in your opinion would you have rejected your car for the A pack? I'm leaning towards rejecting if it's a "A" pack.

Congrats! When I asked my Service advisor if the drive unit was replaced and he wouldn't disclose that information, something about previous service records are not disclosed.

A bit late, but I believe I have the answer. It sounds like Tesla doesn't disclose previous service records, period. But in this case, the drive unit appears to have been replaced as part of the reconditioning. That information they do seem to be willing to give CPO purchasers.

I've been reading the wealth of information on TMC for about 3 weeks now and I'm just now learning about the differences in A & B 85kwh battery packs. The Model S 85 I'll be taking delivery of in the next couple weeks might have been built in the time period that Tesla used up the last A version 85kwh batteries (March-May 2013). I plan on taking a number of long road trips with the car and therefore would prefer to have a B pack.

I know everyone's situation is different but in your opinion would you have rejected your car for the A pack? I'm leaning towards rejecting if it's a "A" pack.

I don't think I would have rejected delivery if it were an A pack. There is a small chance I would have passed on my particular car while searching with the CPO adviser to try and find a more well-equipped 60 for the same price (my car is a pretty stripped 85), but I think that would have been a mistake. I like having the bigger battery and performance, and I don't really miss anything that my car doesn't have, except maybe for the tech package.

For my situation the A pack is not that big of a deal. I don't take that many long trips, and when I do I will necessarily have to stop longer since I have a young child, so doing anything pretty much takes 10-20 minutes longer than it would otherwise. I don't think I would benefit from the shortened supercharging time. For reference, I have only supercharged once in my 3+ months with the car, but my data logger shows I went from 37% to 90% in 50 minutes. To get from 37% to 80% it took 38 minutes. A full range charge shows 247 of rated range; 90% charge shows 217-218.

Now if I were single and were going down to Austin or Houston a lot to see friends, I might care more than I had a B or later pack, just because I'd want to stop for the shortest amount of time possible. But even then, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. So my advice is that if you think you have paid a fair price, and the car has the options you want, I would not let the A pack be a deal breaker. Take a step back and think about how you will truly be using the car. For most people, 90 to 95+ percent of the time you will not notice any difference in A or B pack. If you are like a travelling salesman or for some reason will be travelling very often (like weekly or more), maybe hold out for the B pack.

Reactions: JPUConn and Syclone
I don't think I would have rejected delivery if it were an A pack. There is a small chance I would have passed on my particular car while searching with the CPO adviser to try and find a more well-equipped 60 for the same price (my car is a pretty stripped 85), but I think that would have been a mistake. I like having the bigger battery and performance, and I don't really miss anything that my car doesn't have, except maybe for the tech package.

For my situation the A pack is not that big of a deal. I don't take that many long trips, and when I do I will necessarily have to stop longer since I have a young child, so doing anything pretty much takes 10-20 minutes longer than it would otherwise. I don't think I would benefit from the shortened supercharging time. For reference, I have only supercharged once in my 3+ months with the car, but my data logger shows I went from 37% to 90% in 50 minutes. To get from 37% to 80% it took 38 minutes. A full range charge shows 247 of rated range; 90% charge shows 217-218.

Now if I were single and were going down to Austin or Houston a lot to see friends, I might care more than I had a B or later pack, just because I'd want to stop for the shortest amount of time possible. But even then, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. So my advice is that if you think you have paid a fair price, and the car has the options you want, I would not let the A pack be a deal breaker. Take a step back and think about how you will truly be using the car. For most people, 90 to 95+ percent of the time you will not notice any difference in A or B pack. If you are like a travelling salesman or for some reason will be travelling very often (like weekly or more), maybe hold out for the B pack.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Like you I might have passed for another car if the battery pack was identified as an A and the differences discussed. I wont be making a lot of long trips and when I do it will likely be with a toddler so the extra time might actually be needed. However on the other hand I tend to be a bit impatient for waiting around so it would just get to me. Crossing my fingers for a B pack!

Really looking forward to driving the car home soon :)

I don't think you will be disappointed, even if it ends up having an A. This is by far the most incredible car I have ever owned, even though it is nearing its 4th birthday. Congrats!

I did drop to the floor at delivery to look behind the front passenger tire to great excitement to see a B sticker on my early 2013 S85, that wasn't going to be a deal breaker.

I also have young kids and we take weekend trips often. Our supercharger stops are 10-20 minutes tops and that's based on the kids needs over range (a benefit of the larger pack to begin with). In Rhode Island this week for vacation and stopped at the east Greenwich supercharger to only hit 45-50 kWh / 150 mph with a totally empty station going from 70-80% (even tried multiple stalls) and the slow charge rate was a bit frustrating but I was only there to efficiently kill some time on the way to the zoo while he kids napped - I'm here all week and 12 amp charging overnight for the week is sufficient.