Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What trade-in value is Tesla offering for 2016 S 70 SC01?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The market is adjusting pretty hard on used tesla's, especially with model 3's being so affordable. Each car is compared to buying a new model 3 and that impacts resale dramatically.
True - especially as Tesla wants to get rid of the SC01 FUSC cars and off their books. Creates a lot of exposure for them the longer they are out and in service.

Telsa is however, offering up an additional 3-years of FUSC if you deactivate a FUSC car on your account for a total of 6-years FUSC if you buy a new Model S or X. Not sure if that translates into higher trade-in values or not from Tesla but merely food for thought.

True - especially as Tesla wants to get rid of the SC01 FUSC cars and off their books. Creates a lot of exposure for them the longer they are out and in service.

Telsa is however, offering up an additional 3-years of FUSC if you deactivate a FUSC car on your account for a total of 6-years FUSC if you buy a new Model S or X. Not sure if that translates into higher trade-in values or not from Tesla but merely food for thought.

Free supercharging scares me away from the older cars, it's known to shorten battery life, I've passed on cars specifically because I know the seller used it. Paying for supercharging is much cheaper than buying a new battery for the car out of warranty and most of us plan to charge at home.

Free supercharging scares me away from the older cars, it's known to shorten battery life, I've passed on cars specifically because I know the seller used it. Paying for supercharging is much cheaper than buying a new battery for the car out of warranty and most of us plan to charge at home.
Thankfully there’s 3rd party warranty’s that cover your exact concern for $2,000 upfront cost and no questions asked your car is covered for 2-years if you pass their qualification. Worth the insurance there imo.

Different positions for different folks - that is OK.

Thankfully there’s 3rd party warranty’s that cover your exact concern for $2,000 upfront cost and no questions asked your car is covered for 2-years if you pass their qualification. Worth the insurance there imo.

Different positions for different folks - that is OK.
I’ve bought those and had the claim denied. They’re a complete scam, any claim above what you paid they’ll deny and refund you.

Had it happen on a transmission for a 2011 AMG E63, they flat out just said no we aren’t paying $11k for a trans. Here’s your money back.

Have you filed a claim and gotten a battery covered?

I researched the most popular brand for teslas, Xcare and they don’t seem to cover the HV battery or drive units. Just everything else.

Last edited:
I’ve bought those and had the claim denied. They’re a complete scam, any claim above what you paid they’ll deny and refund you.

Had it happen on a transmission for a 2011 AMG E63, they flat out just said no we aren’t paying $11k for a trans. Here’s your money back.

Have you filed a claim and gotten a battery covered?

I researched the most popular brand for teslas, Xcare and they don’t seem to cover the HV battery or drive units. Just everything else.
No I have not. But I am also referencing another warranty program that is actually the best. Not sure who Xcare is…

Research a little more on the forums and it will be pretty evident whom and what program I am talking about.

No I have not. But I am also referencing another warranty program that is actually the best. Not sure who Xcare is…

Research a little more on the forums and it will be pretty evident whom and what program I am talking about.
I think I get it, it doesn't exist and you're not comfortable admitting that. You'd of shared the company and the policy eagerly if it was real.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
I think I get it, it doesn't exist and you're not comfortable admitting that. You'd of shared the company and the policy eagerly if it was real.
I am not in a position to give advise however, i will encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions! This forum is a wealth of knowledge - if you're really considering an older Model S research here a little bit👍

I am not in a position to give advise however, i will encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions! This forum is a wealth of knowledge - if you're really considering an older Model S research here a little bit👍
You advised me to get an extended warranty. That is why I asked about it.

"Thankfully there’s 3rd party warranty’s that cover your exact concern for $2,000 upfront cost and no questions asked your car is covered for 2-years if you pass their qualification. Worth the insurance there imo."

XCare covers everything that the Tesla ESA covers. Being prior Tesla execs and long time business partners in the leasing and financing space, we designed XCare to give every owner the opportunity to cover their vehicles with the same level of coverage offered by Tesla. We imported all of the same exclusions, and have been very well received by our friends on this forum. For more info, www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare
Cheers, Brent @ XCare EV Protection

I use a supercharger weekly to 90 and my battery health is similar to the fleet average.

Regarding extended warranties, X care is well respected. They also have a battery program coming out at some point. Unclear if it covers drive units though.

Reactions: buckets0fun
My wife is on her seconds Model S since 2016. Both came with free lifetime supercharging (first was transferable, second is not). Total times she supercharged - 4, and 2 of those were short test charges soon after deliveries to make sure it works. My 2015 Model S had free supercharging. in 8 years I owned it I supercharged it maybe 80 times? In both situation I bet regen braking did more DC charging than supercharging (my 2015 MS still had over 75% brake pads left after 8 years - so most of its braking was regen). Remember, Teslas regen up to what, 75KW? The older cars which has FUSC max out at 120KW at a supercharger, realistically though most of the charging is under 100KW. All of our Model S'es degradation was under 4%, including the 8 year old 2015 (the 2018 now has 2.3% less range at 90%, which is the level I charged all of them every day at home). Last but not least, most people who could afford a Model S (~$100K) back when FUSC was available, could afford (and had a place for) home charging, plus for most of the time they owned it, they had no superchargers nearby (I've been driving Teslas since 2013, didn't have a supercharger within an hour drive for maybe 5 years). Honestly, I wouldn't fret over supercharging use of cars with FUSC.

Reactions: PURE ADDICT