Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of car is Model 3 replacing for you?

What type of car is Model 3 replacing for you?

• EV (Leaf, Model S, etc)

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • Hybrid (Prius, Volt, etc)

Votes: 76 16.5%
  • ICE Sedan

Votes: 187 40.6%
  • ICE SUV

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • ICE Truck

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 46 10.0%
  • None (First car or not a replacement)

Votes: 31 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll sell either my Toyota hybrid or my ICE Honda Fit. Which one depends on what else is going on and the resale value of each car. When I bought the Fit it was with the intention of selling when an *EV came along, so it is first in line ;-)

Replacing a 2013 Prius. I love the Prius but it's time for something even more efficient. I will probably sell it privately to get more out of it, since I expect the trade-in rate to be abysmal with Tesla.

Replacing a 2012 Ford Fusion here.

I have been contemplating the trade-in versus private sale as well...it would be much more convenient for my family to just trade it in to Tesla, hand them the keys, and we drive off with our Model 3. If we do a private sale I would have to ensure the timing was right where we didn't end up without our main commuter car for who knows how long. The private sale price would have to be considerably higher for me to consider it.

Thanks for posting a poll, Wilhelm. Seeing the results is a nice bonus to this topic of discussion.

As I stated in the other thread, I'm coming from a ICE sedan: 2009 Infiniti G37.
We replaced our family hauler, so the Model 3 will be the smaller/funner/commuter vehicle for us.

I've been looking at electric vehicles, but everything on the market was either a serious compromise, or a Model S. I don't mind the "I'm a non-standard, weird car" looks on some of the other options (i3, Leaf), but I mostly wanted:
1. Enough range to do limited road trips (CA Bay Area to Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc) without having to worry about range, or even better, not have to charge.
2. FUN. It doesn't need to do 0-60 in OMG, but I wanted something with a little more oomph than a Prius.

The Model 3 is the first vehicle that I think will meet all my hopes, and on budget.

Reactions: StapleGun
1. Enough range to do limited road trips (CA Bay Area to Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc) without having to worry about range, or even better, not have to charge.
2. FUN. It doesn't need to do 0-60 in OMG, but I wanted something with a little more oomph than a Prius.

The Model 3 is the first vehicle that I think will meet all my hopes, and on budget.

Yes same here. Still trying to talk my wife into this whole adventure. I feel like I am most likely to get her approval without the "Performance" features that will most likely make the car un-affordable to us. I feel like the features most useful to us will be the Autopilot, AWD, and larger battery for those occasional road trips.

A Model 3 will replace my 8th generation Honda Civic sedan (2011) at some point.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll upgrade, as the Civic is long paid off and has low miles. It's a tin can compared to Model S, but the old fashioned hydraulic power steering and manual transmission make it a fun little go cart.

This is a fun breakdown, but I'm almost more curious about how many people are coming from luxury cars and how many aren't. Doubters tend to peg Tesla as only competing in the luxury segment, but it sure sounds like a lot of people who are interested in the Model 3 don't own and haven't seriously considered a luxury car before.