TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What USB-type flash drive should I purchase for the Tesla Cam?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by swb2734, Jul 27, 2020.

1. swb2734

swb2734 Member

I just ordered a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on July 17th. I haven't gotten a clear indication of which type of USB ports there are in the front part of the console. I still have an Iphone 6S that doesn't have wireless charging capabilities so I still need to charge wired. Most of the devices I have are still USB-A compliant. Does anyone know for certainty if the 2 ports in the front for data&charging are USB-A? or is there one USB-A & the other USB-C? I want to know if I should invest in a USB-A or USB-C flash drive. Also, are there any transfer speed thresholds I should stay above when I considering flash drives to purchase for the Tesla Cam?

2. todd2fst4u

todd2fst4u Member

Samsung T5. Includes usb-a and usb-c cables.

• Like x 2
  3. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks, my friend. After reading a bit more on the forums, I think I've decided that I'm just going to go all out and get an 500GB SSD that will most likely have a faster write speed than the USB drives and SD cards. And the one I'm looking at is equipped with USB-A & USB-C adapters:
    SanDisk - Extreme 500GB External USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable Solid-State Drive .

4. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I've been using a 250gb sandisk extreme ssd for over 18 months now with no issues.

5. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks for the info. The 500GB SanDisk I'm looking to get from Best Buy is $40 cheaper than usual, for $89. the 250GB is only cheaper by $20 and is $79. I figure just go ahead and get the 500GB since there's only a $10 difference.

6. BLW2

BLW2 Member

I've been wondering how big they need to be for saving enough video for practical security....

7. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

The Samsung T7 is faster/better. 500 gb/$89. Plug it in with the included cables, have the car format the drive and Bob's your third cousin, once removed.

Are you a human?

• Like x 1
  8. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

The car only writes at 2MB/s, there's no need for a "fast" drive- especially when the USB ports are only USB2 anyway.

As to space, 128GB is MORE than plenty for sentry... the car uses ~7.2 GB for the 1 hour continuous circular buffer, and each 10 minute sentry recording (or manually saved 10 minute recording) is ~1.2 gigs total space.... so 128GB would be enough for roughly 100 recordings plus the buffer before it got full.... and with the ability to view and delete right on the car I can't imagine it ever getting even half that full.

(even before you could delete locally I'd pull my 128GB key out every 3-4 months to clear it off and it was usually 1/3rd-1/2 full)

The owners manual recommends 2 specific models of USB key, I've run the 128GB of one of those for over 18 months with no issues, this guy here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC/

Currently 23 bucks on Amazon.

Regarding ports- cars built since June 4 this year will have one USB-C that the built-in wireless charging pad plugs into, and one empty USB-A you can plug a flash drive into for dash cam.

If you require more than one USB-A port to allow for a wired phone charger allow me to recommend one of these two options:

If you require a single extra USB-A port just for dashcam:

https://www.amazon.com/Navak-Splitter-Tesla-Model-Power/dp/B07Z2KQ719/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=navak+tesla&qid=1595898279&sr=8-1

Plugs into OEM USB-A port and provides one 2.1 amp USB-A charging port, and 1 400mA data port for a USB storage device.

If you require a place for dashcam storage and TWO USB-A ports (say for a phone charger, and for either a game controller, or a USB key holding music) then get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Navak-Combo-Adapter-Tesla-Model/dp/B08B3FY8X8

Plugs into same OEM port, provides one SDcard slot for dashcam storage. one 1.5 amp USB-A charging (and data) port for phone charging, and 1 500mA data port for music key/game controller/whatever.

Both spliiters are designed by a user here, who offers excellent support, and unlike most "dumb" hubs actually has real logic inside to provide promised level of power/function in each spot... (the dumb 4-port hub they replaced for example limited you to 0.9 amps on any port)

If going with option 2 (I was a beta tester for it) I've used this SDcard with no issue:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks for the tip. I may switch to the T7. Even though both are 500gb/$89, it looks like the the T7 has a read/write speed of 1050/1000MB, where as the SanDisk is only 550MB speed. Interestingly enough, the SanDisk was originally $130 and the T7 was originally only $109.

10. swb2734

swb2734 Member

That's very helpful info! Thank you! Since the USB-C connected wireless charger platform on the console will be useless for me, do you know of any other similar fitted Tesla accessory I could replace it with?

11. Knightshade

As the USB-C change is quite recent I don't believe anybody has done a new splitter designed for it.... @Navak is a user here though so possibly he can speak to if he is working on one for that port?

12. swb2734

swb2734 Member

I was thinking more of another USB-C platform replacement, instead of a splitter.

13. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

I am using the 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance Microsd card with an USB to microsd card adapter, no problems at all for the 6 months of ownership.

• Like x 1
  14. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks! I am convinced to try to get that one in particular. I'm a big Best Buy points guy, but that particular SD card is sold out right now. If it doesn't come into stock soon, I'll go ahead and order from Amazon.

15. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

There's a few other options for endurance microsd cards, like the ones from SanDisk. They should all perform similar and reliable.

16. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks, I'll add that one to my cart as well and compare it with the others. I may head to Best Buy and get a visual for myself if they have them in stock.

17. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Thanks, I'll add that one to my cart as well and compare it with the others. I may head to Best Buy and get a visual for myself if they have them in stock.

18. RonFTW

RonFTW Member

My microSD card was having issues recording, plugged it into a computer and it says I’ve used 122gb for recordings and have 6gb left...

Have had it for a little under a year.

19. Knightshade

Seems to match with what I mentioned- that I'd pull my 128GB key out every 3-4 months to clear it off and it'd be 1/3-1/2 full each time.

Now though you can clean it off right from the screen in the car so no need to even remove it unless you're wanting to permanently archive recordings from it on another device.