Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S? Poll

What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?

• under $10k

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • between $10k - $20k

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • between $20k - $30k

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • between $30k - $40k

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • between $40k - $50k

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • between $50k - $60k

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • between $60k - $70k

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • between $70k - $80k

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • above $80k

Votes: 23 17.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My previous car cost $28,500 new in late 2001. It's got 196,000 miles on it so the sticker price for my 85 kWh non-perf Model S was about 30x the current blue book value of the previous car!

My reasons for purchasing the model S include the three reasons you listed. Additional reasons are that it is a stunningly beautiful car and it has a massive amount of cargo space.

Almost identical - my 2001 Accord EX cost about $22K. It now has 85K miles on it.

If you just do purchase price (with taxes and fees). I am right under $25k. If you want to add on maintenance, modifications, annual fees, insurance, and fuel costs. I am probably right at $60k (and that was for my longer lived, and thirstier, but cheaper $23k car).

Well, I did buy a Roadster, so the Model S is not the most expensive car I have ever purchased.

But if you only count cars I bought for myself in my pre-electric days, the most I spent was $19,500 for a very lightly used 2005 Honda Insight hybrid. 60mpg was the best I could do to reduce gas consumption back then. I enjoyed the car when I had it; but man, I sure couldn't imagine going back now. I use less (and cheaper and local) energy, AND I have a lot more fun. The really ironic part is to get the good mileage I bought the Insight for, I had to drive it like there were eggs under the pedals. But because I have carbon-free electricity sources, I have fun in the EV. So I drove the gas car the way people fear they will have to drive EVs, but I feel free with the EV. Perceptions are funny.

Last edited:
$20,000 for a new 2000 VW Jetta, traded in for a few thousand on
$32,000 for a used 2007 Lexus ES350 (in 2010)
$40,000 for a new 2012 Nissan Leaf (wife's car, paved the way for the S)

Sold the Lexus to CarMax for $16,000 after receiving the Model S, which makes us an all electric family now.

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution new in 2004 for 28,800 then dumped ~20k in it (2.3 stroker, 50trim turbo, etc, etc) and she made 405hp 385lb/ft. It was loud, uncomfortable, and I was terrified that the engine was going to let go every time I floored it.

It was the most money I have ever had wrapped up in a car...until the MS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If the depreciation cliff for AMGs is taken into account, you paid like $15k for it? :)

MSRP new was $201,000, and believe it or not, I paid $39,900 for it with 50K miles when it was 6 years old. Although I had a pre-purchase inspection done at the dealer and it passed with flying colors, after 4 months I got nervous about the potential V12 repair costs and traded it when I was replacing my SUV. I got $40K trade, and in Texas we get a sales tax credit, so I actually made a $100 profit! LOL

This thread led me to think about all of my car purchases going back to my first, a used TR-3 that my brother and I bought for $800 to commute back and forth to a summer job while we were in our first years of college. Then I thought about the first new car I bought, an E-Type Jaguar through Europe-by-Car (remember that?). Drove it around the UK for a few days then turned it in to be shipped home. Cost about $4,500 as I recall, including the costs to ship it to the U.S. In today's dollars, that's worth $26,700, something close to the cost of a well-equipped Honda. At the time, it didn't seem to be a bargain, but it clearly was (provided one discounts the never-ending costs in those days of keeping a Jaguar running:)).

So controlling for inflation (which I think this exercise requires), the most expensive car I ever about owned was about $45,000. I could have afforded to spend a lot more, but as status was never important to me, I didn't see the point. In fact I was almost anti-status, and would never even consider a Mercedes or BMW. Most of the time, with a few exceptions, I've owned Hondas. So the Model S will be by a very wide margin the most expensive car I've bought. And I'll buy it with no or very little debt.

A little over $40,000 including tax for a 1994 Mazda RX7 in Dec 1993.

One of my dream cars is an RX7 TT in dark green.

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution new in 2004 for 28,800 then dumped ~20k in it (2.3 stroker, 50trim turbo, etc, etc) and she made 405hp 385lb/ft. It was loud, uncomfortable, and I was terrified that the engine was going to let go every time I floored it.

Isn't that kind of low for a 4G63 given the mods? I've seen similar modded Evos make in excess of 450 (albeit with FP red/blacks), especially with a stroker kit. Honest question.

MSRP new was $201,000, and believe it or not, I paid $39,900 for it with 50K miles when it was 6 years old. Although I had a pre-purchase inspection done at the dealer and it passed with flying colors, after 4 months I got nervous about the potential V12 repair costs and traded it when I was replacing my SUV. I got $40K trade, and in Texas we get a sales tax credit, so I actually made a $100 profit! LOL

Sounds like you made out OK. I've hard that AMGs are like boats where you're only really happy on two days of your ownership experience.

For as much as people say that the Model S is only really for the upper-level/wealthy luxury market, I am quite surprised to see the polling statistics which seem to indicate that customers in general have never spent this much on a car before. Granted, this is also a forum for Tesla enthusiasts, so I would imagine in the "real world" the data may be a bit more skewed towards more expensive previous car purchases. What do you guys think?