Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S? Poll

What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?

• under $10k

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • between $10k - $20k

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • between $20k - $30k

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • between $30k - $40k

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • between $40k - $50k

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • between $50k - $60k

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • between $60k - $70k

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • between $70k - $80k

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • above $80k

Votes: 23 17.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be interesting to know "What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?"

I've seen forum posts and talked to other folks (like me) that have stated that their MS purchase was 2x-3x more than any previous vehicle they've purchase. I think there is more than just the "luxury" car market segment that the MS fits into. I think the following are some of the main reasons folks purchase this vehicle:

• Performance (yep, it sure goes fast!)
  • Technology (maybe 5-10 years ahead of any other car on the market)
  • Green (no gas, no fumes, low environmental impact, support of what Tesla is doing, etc.)

I think the possible poll options to the question "What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?" would be:

1. MS was my first vehicle that I purchased
  2. under $10k
  3. between $10k - $20k
  4. between $20k - $30k
  5. between $30k - $40k
  6. between $40k - $50k
  7. between $50k - $60k
  8. between $60k - $70k
  9. between $70k - $80k
  10. above $80k

Unfortunately I don't know how to create a poll in this forum. Anyone interested in creating this or showing me how?

To be honest I don't own a Model S yet. If they put out the Gen III by 2015-2016 then I might never own an S. If Gen III is delayed any longer than 2016, I'll get an S.

Until my upcoming Tesla purchase I have always pictured my car as a tool that gets me from place to place.

Long answer, sorry, but for me it is 3.

I'm probably a bit different than most here...an unmarried car nut without a family to support or kids to put through college. I work a lot and cars are my splurge and free time 'outlet'. Of 30 vehicles, I've only had 1 car more expensive than the Model S P85 (a 2009 Porsche Carrera S Cabrio). A couple others had a higher MSRP when new (another Porsche and a M-B SL65 AMG), but I bought them used after the depreciation cliff made them more reasonable. If my P85 was gas-powered and everything else was as-is, I think it would be very comparable to my past car, a 2012 M-B CLS550, which was about $80K. So I considered the Tesla's price premium to be about $20K, and with the tax credit and fuel savings factored in, I think it's still a good value. Probably easier for me to say when I don't have college to pay for or a spouse to support, but I haven't regretted a penny spent on this car.

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to know "What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?"

I've seen forum posts and talked to other folks (like me) that have stated that their MS purchase was 2x-3x more than any previous vehicle they've purchase. I think there is more than just the "luxury" car market segment that the MS fits into. I think the following are some of the main reasons folks purchase this vehicle:

• Performance (yep, it sure goes fast!)
  • Technology (maybe 5-10 years ahead of any other car on the market)
  • Green (no gas, no fumes, low environmental impact, support of what Tesla is doing, etc.)

My previous car cost $28,500 new in late 2001. It's got 196,000 miles on it so the sticker price for my 85 kWh non-perf Model S was about 30x the current blue book value of the previous car!

My reasons for purchasing the model S include the three reasons you listed. Additional reasons are that it is a stunningly beautiful car and it has a massive amount of cargo space.

Including the effect of the rebate, the Tesla MS85 fully loaded is just a little cheaper than my other car was new in 2007 (Lexus LS460L Exec Class). I think there are quite a few in the forum (and Mr. Musk) who were looking at the Tesla as a direct competitor to the high end of the full size sedan market. The attractions were mostly as the OP stated. Price wasn't a major issue - though buying a Maybach would be :)

Additional reasons are that it is a stunningly beautiful car and it has a massive amount of cargo space.

Speaking of, I picked up a 63" console table today and had no issues with it fitting. I need a 4-door car for business and have always preferred sedans over SUVs for driving enjoyment, but SUVs obviously have the edge with utility. The Model S really is the perfect compromise.

In 2000 I bought a PT Cruiser for $29,000 all options and taxes in. Back then it was one of the first few thousand off the line. I guess I am doing the same thing again, but paying 3x more... Funny thing is, Tesla is only offering $300 for it as a trade! Ha ha! I wonder if there is a reward for having the crappiest pre Tesla car?? :)

In 2000 I bought a PT Cruiser for $29,000 all options and taxes in. Back then it was one of the first few thousand off the line. I guess I am doing the same thing again, but paying 3x more... Funny thing is, Tesla is only offering $300 for it as a trade! Ha ha! I wonder if there is a reward for having the crappiest pre Tesla car?? :)

Damn- you have me beat. Tesla/Autonation offered me a whopping $400 for my car (2002 Eclipse GT spyder). I was mildly insulted. I should be able to get at least $3,000 on craigslist so I declined the trade-in.

Purchase
Year Year/Make & Model Cost

1982 1975 Chevy Monza..........$2500
1983 1980 Old Cutlass Supreme.$3500
1989 1987 Mercury Sable....... $10000
1999 1996 Volvo 960..............$24900
2005 2001 Toyota Sienna........$16500

Probably paid a small fortune for repairs on some of these over the years. :crying:

Plug In Prius Fall 2012 $39K (this will be the wife's car in a few days)
2006 Prius bought new $24K - selling tomorrow for $10K
2005 VW Passat Wagon bought used $17K in 2007 traded in 5K for the Prius Plug in

Those are the three most expensive cars I've owned. The curve is steepening quite a bit with the Tesla. The only "luxury" car I've ever owned was a very used 1985 BMW 325e which I loved and was the only car I've ever named.

What was the most money you spent on a vehicle prior to purchasing your Model S?

Unfortunately I don't know how to create a poll in this forum. Anyone interested in creating this or showing me how?

I made the poll. somebody will merge these threads so you will have the poll too.

About 50k Euro for my current car (2004 BMW 330 Cd). That is after about 17k Euro for my first car (1996 VW Golf III TDI GT Special). Both cars were factory-ordered by the way.
The Model S at around 90k Euro (for the configuration I would choose) would be the maximum I would ever be willing to spend on a car.
If there was a great EV (smaller than the S of course) as good as the Model S in driving dynamics, range and looks, for around 30k Euro, I would rather take that. Perhaps GenIII will be such a vehicle. Until then my hopes are set on the new VW Golf blue-e-motion.

fully loaded 2012 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic was $60k. terrible gas mileage. also had a 'no response from throttle' defect which the only way to reset it so the gas pedal would work again was turning the car off and on and then hoping it doesn't happen again.

1975 Toyota Corolla Ke30 in yellow for $1000 from dad (1978 - 1980) sold privately for $1500 made money!
1976 Audi Fox 80 in BR Green (1980 - 1986) $3000, drove it 1500km each way to the 1985 Adelaide GP, traded in for $1500 on
1986 Ford Laser TX3 in red (1986 - 1999) first new car $15000. Traded in for $ 4,500 on
1999 Mercedes A160 in ocean blue (1999 - now) $46000 new. My Model S trade in.
2013/14 Tesla Model S estimated to start at $77000 in Australia with my preferred config probably a little over $100,000 maybe more if I go for 85 KWh model.
Oh yes in 2004 I bought a 1969 NSU Ro80 in silver for $13000 have spent at least that again to get it reliable, should make an interesting counterpoint to the Model S.