Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a non Tesla electric vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that the current Tesla service issues are understandable.

Tesla is growing at a rapid rate. Tremendous increased in deliveries year after year. They obviously cannot pre build tons of service centers in anticipation of the growth, because then people would just be standing around, in empty service centers, awaiting the future customers.

While Tesla is growing rapidly, the growing pains are not reflected by the legacy builders. Their sedan sales are dropping rapidly. This of course will result in over service capacity. There will be extra spare parts available, and lots of pre-trained technicians standing around with no waiting lines.

Same thing is happening with gas stations. I see them closing all the time. They often experience leaking fuel tanks, and the repair costs so much they often just close their doors and leave the pollution behind.
On the other hand, Tesla is rolling out high speed Superchargers faster than any other manufacturer on the planet, but still not enough that there are never people waiting in lines at the busier stations.

Tesla growing pains are probably impossible to eliminate totally. Their popularity is exploding, and people are complaining about the long waits to get the car of their choice. Not going to see lines like this for gassers. Their dealership lots are full to the brim of quickly depreciating cars. Salesperson will be happy to "put you in a car today".

Legacy car companies have all the time in the world, as they tend to their dying gasser industry. They can fuss over panel gaps, slow down the paint line, stock their dealerships with thousands of inventory vehicles. Tesla does not have this luxury. Tesla is one man, and his one company (really just one of many companies) driving the transformation of personal transportation away from Urban pollution to safe, quiet and efficient Electric Drive. Perfection is not his goal...transformation is his goal.

Sometimes I feel that people fixated on panel gaps or a spot of dust on a paint job, or even needing to wait a few minutes to plug in are somewhat missing the point of the transformation.

I think you have to appreciate that there are a lot of people who don't care one whit about "saving the planet" or whether the technology is "transformative" or "disruptive". They want a good car, period. If one car represents an improvement over another in their personal decision space they will be motivated to buy it. RJ Scaringe, in a recent interview, pointed out that this is why he doesn't have to build the best electric car. He knows he has to build the best car without qualifiers.

But what percentage of them are faster than 50 kW and what percentage of them are actually working at any given time? My X gives me about 3 mi/kWh. That means an hour charging at one of the numerous 50 kW non Tesla stations only gives me 150 mi range. The Rivian offerings, 2/3 that (100 mi). It is doable (I've done it in places where there are no Tesla stations) but until the other networks get their faster stations outnumbering the 50 kW ones, Tesla has a strong advantage here.

I think this will happen eventually but I am not holding my breath. Nor, however, am I cancelling my Rivian reservation.

When i pulled a trailer across the country 4000 miles through many states I had to use some chargers other than Superchargers because they were spaced too far apart. All the ones I used where 150 and 350 kW stations. As for charging speed, my Model S charges at an average of maybe 60 kW at superchargers when I'm on road trips. Tesla has reduced my charge speed to half the speed it was. So yes I'm definitely looking at alternatives.

So, I stopped my purchase because they disabled OTA updates in Brazil because "...our customers really want dealer service not do-it-yourself". That made me fearful of the future. I suspect I would nto ever buy a car from a dealer again. I might retract that pledge, but I doubt that.

Tesla's poor customer service is put in context by OTA updates and fixes. We tend to take those for granted. I don't.
I'm stunned. That's just insane.

I hold exactly zero loyalty to any company. I am loyal to family and friends, not companies or products. When there is a better car for a better price, I will buy it if I happen to need a car at that time.

Currently, there is no better car for my needs and for the money than my Tesla... by a long shot. It seems that's going to be true for a very long time.

Reactions: ICUDoc