Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that any new Model Y with metal scroll wheels now has a heated steering wheel so it's a fair assumption that 2021 Model 3s probably have some or all of the same hardware, potentially awaiting a future software unlock.
It’s the stitching not the metal scroll wheels that is the difference as the metal scroll wheels started appearing prior to the wheel change. As now shown on Tesla website with door panel changes

Chinese heated version confirmed in GB parts catalogue.

After a quick eyeball, I can't see any other parts that may differ, ie harness, control module.

upload_2021-1-16_10-29-20.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and CMc1
It’ll be under the climate settings (the one that comes up when you press the fan icon), if anything. I don’t think there are any separate settings for it as such, it should just appear as a red steering wheel if it’s being heated.

It might also show from the app when preconditioning, but it might not if the app isn’t up to date yet.

I don’t think the stitching is a definitive sign to be honest one way or the other.

I'm not sure how much dev a heated steering wheel will require since its already on the Model S and X and appears as a field in the API. If the hardware was there already, I would have thought that amending the software would have been trivial. Unless they have bigger plans than just making it a shipped feature of one model or the other.

The suggestion to wear gloves isn't so good in a car that depends so much on the touchscreen!

I haven't felt the need for a heated wheel in the past, but the Tesla one does seem colder, somehow. Perhaps it's the material, or perhaps I'm just doing lots of short lockdown-constrained runs in the winter at present!

Now, what I'd really like is for the HVAC to keep my feet a bit warmer! In the past, my mother would never buy any car that couldn't simultaneously put fresh air on her face and warm air on her feet, and I miss it too in these newfangled machines. :)

Chinese heated version confirmed in GB parts catalogue.

After a quick eyeball, I can't see any other parts that may differ, ie harness, control module.

View attachment 628008
How do you get to the GB parts catalog? If I go to https://epc.tesla.com and log in, and choose "Model 3" I get taken to the "Model 3 (US)" EPC?

EDIT: Disregard the above, seems like my EPC account (maybe Tesla account as a whole) was set to US :eek:

Had this reply back from Order Parts UK this morning, after I asked about the availability of that steering wheel:
Good morning Darren,

Unfortunately, this part is not for the U.K market so we are unable to source.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Order Parts UK Team

I asked Bristol SC if they would retrofit the heated steering wheel, and they quite pointedly told me that “currently there is no retrofit available for this modification in the UK. Tesla Service UK will be unable to perform this retrofit for you.”

I don’t suppose replacing the steering wheel is a simple task with the airbag, is it?

I asked Bristol SC if they would retrofit the heated steering wheel, and they quite pointedly told me that “currently there is no retrofit available for this modification in the UK. Tesla Service UK will be unable to perform this retrofit for you.”

I don’t suppose replacing the steering wheel is a simple task with the airbag, is it?
It’s very simple to replace the steering wheel. The real question is whether Tesla will enable the software required to access the heating function.