Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s very simple to replace the steering wheel. The real question is whether Tesla will enable the software required to access the heating function.
I guess the acid test is how the software detects that you have a steering wheel. Is it the prescence of a electrical connection on a presumably unused wire in the harness, or is it gated behind a minimum VIN?

I read elsewhere on here about a Chinese guy who retrofitted dimming wing mirrors to his car simply by fabricating the required cable/wires and inserting them into the connector, and it worked the way you'd expect (going on and off at sunset/sunrise), which gives me hope.

After dropping off my car for service 2021 model 3 SR+ At 6am when everything was frozen, And coming home in a model S with a heated steering wheel.

I would say it’s something that I didn’t know I wanted. I would pay to unlock it if that was ever possible and we do find out that we might have it available. fingers crossed

Saw this posted elsewhere

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1352010491464450055?s=21

Looks like heated steering wheel functionality could be software unlockable for those with the right steering wheel (probably 2021 on, maybe late 2020?).

Three obvious options:
1) No heated steering wheel fitted to any cars in the UK yet.
2) Heated wheel fitted to all refreshed models, but not activated and one of these options to come:
a) SR+ will have to pay to activate when available, LR & P will have it activated as soon as possible (partial vs premium interior)
b) Everyone will have to pay to activate

Right now I'm expecting 1) to be correct while hoping for 2) - specifically 2a) because I have an LR :).

Reactions: Durzel
Three obvious options:
1) No heated steering wheel fitted to any cars in the UK yet.
2) Heated wheel fitted to all refreshed models, but not activated and one of these options to come:
a) SR+ will have to pay to activate when available, LR & P will have it activated as soon as possible (partial vs premium interior)
b) Everyone will have to pay to activate

Right now I'm expecting 1) to be correct while hoping for 2) - specifically 2a) because I have an LR :).

I agree its likely to be 1 and they'll arrive with the china built 2021 spec cars due Feb and not the Fremont cars already here. Trouble with MIC SR+ is the battery.

If it's the same part number (2021 model to previous), then should any be replaced under warranty - does that mean the replacement one could look different?

To me.. there is a noticeable difference between the two designs.

Interestingly, in Europe many new owners have found some LR batteries to be "made in china" even though the car came from Fremont.