Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would You Do (Paint Chip)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scheduled to have delivery today. It will now be delayed 2 weeks to fix due to the following (see below).

I'm guessing rejecting VIN will mean another month's minimum at least. I don't like the idea of a brand new vehicle being shuttled around to third parties where more damage might be incurred, but that's the way I have to go to reduce the agony of this wait (non-owner line waiter).

I'm now without a vehicle, so maybe I'll take this opportunity to request a Model S loaner.

Attachments

• download_20180426_115314.jpg
    download_20180426_115314.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 489
  • download_20180426_115327.jpg
    download_20180426_115327.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 389
Just the one according to the delivery assistant. I'm going to go take a look at the vehicle and decide if I want to keep it otherwise. I have to accept delivery officially, and then they'll put me in a BMW or Audi (bummer, no Model S available).

Just the one according to the delivery assistant. I'm going to go take a look at the vehicle and decide if I want to keep it otherwise. I have to accept delivery officially, and then they'll put me in a BMW or Audi (bummer, no Model S available).

Looks like two other smaller chips closer to the glass but maybe it’s just debri or the photo. On second thought I think that’s just reflections.

So if I am understanding you correctly the delivery assistant or whoever at Tesla noticed the chip and emailed you the photos before you saw it in person? At least they are actually looking over the cars, that could have easily happened during shipment.

If everything else is "perfect"...I'd just ask for a couple of bottles of touch up paint. Like you said...who knows what else could happen as they try to fix...or what issues your new VIN will have.

Yeah but personally every time I cleaned that car I would see that chip and it would just bug me that it was there at delivery. I realize chips will happen eventually but this is a new car that your paying good money for, I would have them fix it.

I had this very dilemma when we took delivery
There was a chip very similar to yours and they tried to touch it up
I took it that way but asked them to note it
The more I looked at it the more I was dissatisfied
I think we’re so excited about initial delivery that we’ll overlook things
I finally decided I wanted it fixed correctly which Tesla did at a body shop, but it took about a month or so
It looked perfect when they were done but I was paying for a car I didn’t have for a while

One month? Wow!

Every single car I owned that I bring the auto body shop for paint correction usually is about 2-3 days. The Model S was 3 days. The volt was 2 days.

Interesting to know.

I had this very dilemma when we took delivery
There was a chip very similar to yours and they tried to touch it up
I took it that way but asked them to note it
The more I looked at it the more I was dissatisfied
I think we’re so excited about initial delivery that we’ll overlook things
I finally decided I wanted it fixed correctly which Tesla did at a body shop, but it took about a month or so
It looked perfect when they were done but I was paying for a car I didn’t have for a while

@vinnie97
Really tough call, you've probably waited a really long time to get your car and then now you see this!
Personally I would refuse delivery and wait on a new one with your delivery assistant made well aware that you are going to be very thorough in your inspection of the new one. You should still be eligible for the federal tax credit by the time the new one is delivered.
However, if you don't mind the fact that you paid over $50K for a car that was not perfect but was touched up and looks like or better than new, then go ahead, have them fix it first, before signing any paperwork. This way it's essentially their problem to fix, not yours.
These (imperfections) have happened to quite a few buyers and hopefully by not accepting delivery, it sends a message up their management, that quality control can't be overlooked.
It's a Tesla and there are a lot of people looking at it.
Great car otherwise,:)

If everything else is "perfect"...I'd just ask for a couple of bottles of touch up paint. Like you said...who knows what else could happen as they try to fix...or what issues your new VIN will have.
Definitely not. I don't believe anyone who says they got a perfect car. Many hairline scratches on the hood and in other random locations. I still accepted because I'm without a vehicle now so at their mercy. Besides, what's the point of waiting another 30 days (or more) just to have the same problems? Tesla will be taking care of the paint chip with their 3rd party body shop (since they don't have the necessary paint), sigh. I hope the detailer can work his magic before applying a partial Xpel cover and ceramic coating for the rest of the body.

@vinnie97
Really tough call, you've probably waited a really long time to get your car and then now you see this!
Personally I would refuse delivery and wait on a new one with your delivery assistant made well aware that you are going to be very thorough in your inspection of the new one. You should still be eligible for the federal tax credit by the time the new one is delivered.
However, if you don't mind the fact that you paid over $50K for a car that was not perfect but was touched up and looks like or better than new, then go ahead, have them fix it first, before signing any paperwork. This way it's essentially their problem to fix, not yours.
These (imperfections) have happened to quite a few buyers and hopefully by not accepting delivery, it sends a message up their management, that quality control can't be overlooked.
It's a Tesla and there are a lot of people looking at it.
Great car otherwise,:)
Well, if the delivery center wasn't 2 hours away, I might have used this tact. Tesla will be paying to fix the chip so a message of sorts is still being sent. The only way to get the loaner was to accept delivery, so I'm now at their mercy.

Reactions: Amit519