Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyone's electricity bill increase to/by?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The math is simple, I pay 12.7 cents per kW all inclusive. So it depends how many miles I drive which determines how many kWh’s I consume. But based on a back of the envelop math my monthly bill has increased by about $25 a month. But I’m retired and drive about 500 to 600 miles a month.

Electricity Rates in the United States (December 2021) – Electric Choice

When calculating your cost for electricity be sure you include the transmission cost, other fees. If in doubt, take a recent electric utility bill and divide the total amount due by the number of kWh used during the billing period.

Example: If your amount due was $100.00 and you used 800kWh then your cost per kWh (considering all costs and fees) would be 100/800 = $0.125 per kWh

Reactions: cwerdna
But don’t you all just love leaving the house every, “full”? And not standing out in the cold, rain, etc pumping gas? And how about those long lines at Costco, now that gas prices are through the roof? I miss not of this, thank you very much! 🤣👍🏻
I've been driving for over 30 years. I will never go back to gas vehicles. I drive about 14k to 15k a year. Wasn't unusual to visit the gas station twice a week or three times in two weeks. Hated it. Add in the time/cost for oil changes, filters, etc... No thank you. Not ever going to the gas station has been a blessing. Having a car that's ready to drive 300 miles each morning without needing to go anywhere is the best. I don't even care the car isn't built as "luxury" such as Lexus, Acura, etc. The performance overall and convenience of electric is worth it.

Also, only paying $14 to fill your car instead of $65-$70 is excellent too.

Driving 1200 miles per month and paying roughly .21 kwh with an efficiently of 266Wh/mi I’m spending around 70 a month. Comapared to my old Grand Cherokee I would have spending around 230 a month. Pretty dam good. Also, picked up my MY in August. So 50% of that lifetime efficiency was in the dead of winter.

I pay 11 cents per kWh in my top tier; household usage is 1900 kWh/month. Electricity went up by $90/month, and gasoline went down by $672/month (16 gal * $5.99/gal * 7 fill-ups/month from 2,000 miles/month of driving). If gas goes up more, my MYLR will be "free" (i.e. my added electricity + monthly car payment will equal what I would have been paying monthly in gasoline).

My neighbors are all asking about my Tesla; especially since I tell them I haven't been to a gas station since October. :) And let me tell you, NOT going to the gas station to fill-up every 3 days is fantastic! So far, one had ordered a MYLR (blue ext, white int) several months ago; her EDD is June 2022. Then I tell them that my first service will be my tire rotation at 10,000 miles (which I'll reach in April). "What about oil changes, engine air filters, smog inspection, antifreeze check, ... ?". Nope, I don't have any of those things.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
I estimate I drive at least 900 miles a month (45 miles every weekday. Maybe 15miles on weekends) and charge every night. My bill went from about $200 at most to $470 in my last bill.. I was on a tier plan and I think charging starting at 6pm probably contributed to that high cost. I just swapped it to a TOU plan which will get cheap starting at 9pm so I hope to reduce that. But below is the energy consumption from the past few months. I picked up my Model Y perf end of December. Looks like it added another 400kWh of consumption. Does this sound about right?

View attachment 777390
Screenshot_20220320-190802.png

Electricity Rates in the United States (December 2021) – Electric Choice

When calculating your cost for electricity be sure you include the transmission cost, other fees. If in doubt, take a recent electric utility bill and divide the total amount due by the number of kWh used during the billing period.

Example: If your amount due was $100.00 and you used 800kWh then your cost per kWh (considering all costs and fees) would be 100/800 = $0.125 per kWh
That’s how I do it, I average ~ 1k miles per month, $31 per month in electric costs.

I have not received my Model Y yet but here in NJ my current monthly electric usage was 489kWh with a total charge of $93.04 which works out to $0.19 kWh
I have recently received my NJ PSE&G $1500.00 rebate.
Currently the Gen 3 Tesla charger does not qualify for TOD usage as it does not transmit usage data to PSE&G. Perhaps that my change in the future? Currently in NJ there is no sales tax on EV vehicles along with discounts on toll roads.

Attachments

• PSE&G Electric Charge IMG_8185.jpg
    PSE&G Electric Charge IMG_8185.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: jebinc
I estimate I drive at least 900 miles a month (45 miles every weekday. Maybe 15miles on weekends) and charge every night. My bill went from about $200 at most to $470 in my last bill.. I was on a tier plan and I think charging starting at 6pm probably contributed to that high cost. I just swapped it to a TOU plan which will get cheap starting at 9pm so I hope to reduce that. But below is the energy consumption from the past few months. I picked up my Model Y perf end of December. Looks like it added another 400kWh of consumption. Does this sound about right?

View attachment 777390
I threw together EnergyCalc to help some friends and family. Energy data was pulled in 2012, but I tried to use some government data to pull in the rest. And I let you manually tune it if it’s off.

Reactions: RSpanner
I have solar, so it doesn’t cost me anymore out of pocket every month. However I have I amortized my system over 20 years, and with my expected out put it will cost me $.15/kWh. With my current driving it is using about $45 worth of my solar every month.

Not bad at all. I was easily spending 3 time that in gas.

$.0972 now ,with transmission cost, but we know it is going up soon ( Eugene Water and Electric Board )and will be two tiered. Have a 5K solar system, so ok ( 10 panels were on the roof when we bought the house, added 10 ) I know, it does not pencil out. ha ha

View attachment 777390
We are pretty lucky we have Tesla Solar panels. When the sun is out and pumping juice to our panels, we try and charge during those times. Sempra Energy (San Diego Gas and Electric) are bandits and are always switching around prices to their advantage.